“Terrific family hotel, great food”
Review of Hotel Stadt Wien

Hotel Stadt Wien
Ranked #1 of 42 Hotels in Zell am See
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We stayed here with our three kids ages 7 to 10. The hotel is located within walking distance of the village and is just opposite the bus stop to go to the slopes. The selection of food is excellent, with something for almost every taste.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank poshpaddy2015

Reviewed March 3, 2014

a very good hotel, but with some suggestions for the owners.....

As many reviews have said, this is a very good hotel. I am not going to comment too much on the rooms as the hotel is closing for renovation, suffice to say I would not return if the rooms were not getting renovated as they really do need it.

Good welcome on arrival, very nice lobby area. It was very helpful to have ski passes arranged by the hotel. The hotel is a 5 minute walk to the lifts, slightly longer with all of your gear on and young kids, but nevertheless a very good location for the ski lifts.

Food is of a very good standard and lots of choice. A comment I would make (hopefully the owners do read Tripadvisor), the tables in our area were very close together and I would have appreciated more space between the tables. I did not find the buffet crowded but with young kids we were in at 6.30 pm every night.

The pool could still do with being warmer so the reviewer with a hotline to the owner did not really do the job, the baby pool was cold most days. I appreciate the costs of a heated pool are high, but you have chosen to have one so make it comfortable.

Suggestions for the new rooms:

thicker, more luxurious towels, the current ones are very thin (but the other hotels I have stayed in in Austria were the same, so maybe it's an Austrian thing). Better quality loo roll would also be nice.

Glasses in the rooms would be nice, many people want some water in their room and you end up taking them from reception.

Unusual I think not to have a plastic bag in the bin in the bathroom, not hugely hygenic to my mind.

As with any hotel that people rave about, complacency is always a danger. This is a very good hotel and they are spending a hugh amount of money on an extensive refurbishment. Hopefully this will not spoil the character of the hotel.

Lots of people say what a fantastic a hotel it is and that is great but remember, it is not cheap to stay and customers want to feel it is money well spent. I think the hotel gets a lot of repeat business so it is doing many things right. A little attention to detail never goes a miss.

My last point is not the hotels fault... rowdy, rude kids (not even teenagers) with parents who cannot be bothered to do their job....

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank rodgthedodge
Reviewed February 22, 2014

I stayed here as part of Crystal Ski package with the half board deal. After a difficult day of travel the staff were ready to welcome us with arms open wide. The formalities of registration were suspended, the bags were taken to the room, the skis secured it the ski room and we were shown to the restaurant for a late dinner and a beer. The stress of the travel was immediately removed and we could get on with our holiday.

The hotel is set to be renovated in the summer so it's going to be kind of redundant to chat at any length about the rooms however it's safe to say that the room was clean and comfortable. It was on the small side and located above the kitchen it was a little noisy in the mornings. I like the windows open. There's a busy road and depending on the water level a loud stream across the road. The rooms to the rear over looking the gardens are quieter.

The restaurant is the key selling point and omg the food was good. There was a wide choice of prime quality items prepared and cooked to perfection. Wow is all I can say. The buffets, salads, wines, beers, traditional entertainment we're one of the high lights of my trip.

The staff were so very helpful. Nothing was ever too much. Polite friendly and ever the professional we have never felt so supported away from home.

Location wise the hotel is well positioned for the bus link and if you're ready for it town is a 10 minute walk downhill, 15 minute to get back up. It's not too steep. Car parking is good if you're driving down but leave your car at the hotel because parking in town can be a chore.

Outstanding staff, first class restaurant and soon to be upgraded rooms this homely hotel is about to earn another star. Highly recommended. . .

If you found my review helpful please click the helpful button. Thank you . . .

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Crash_Rescue
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Just got home from my 7th time at the Hotel Stadt Wien Amazing. Where shall I start. I booked the holiday independently and the staff couldn't be more helpful. They organise taxis lift passes so the passes are waiting for you. You can hire skis and boots from them you don't have to lift a finger. The ski cellar has individual heated lockers for your gear which you can access when you ski to the door ( weather permitting) but I've always done it. We had room 314 so quiet and extremely large. The maid gave me an extra pillow and the maids are so so friendly and smiley. Food what can I say I've put on weight you can start with salad then a small entrée then soup then the main always a choice followed by desert then cheese and biscuits!!! Breakfast is full continental cereals fruits bacon eggs how ever you want them juices coffee and teas WOW. This year WIFI is free thank you Klaus I mentioned this in passing last year and they listened. The barman Erik knows exactly what you want to drink after a night or two.They have an amazing spa with a great outside pool and again Klaus listened and put up the temperature thanks Klaus I used it this year. There are two parts to the spa Nude fantastic hot saunas and a section you can use bathers lovely steam room. I cannot recommend this hotel to the standard it deserves and what's more they are going to have major renovation which I'm sooooooo excited about and can't wait to see it next year because I'm going yes again. I will try to post the new photos of the renovation on here

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Tracey67
Reviewed February 12, 2014

It's hard to add much more to add to the other reviews. We went half board and all the meals were great. The Spa was very welcoming after a hard day and the service from arrival to departure was fantastic. The location is perfect, just a short walk to the lifts or alternatively a bus stop outside to take you higher up the mountain (free with your lift pass). It's also just a two minute walk into the town centre which had good pubs and shops. Would love to go back again.

Room Tip: I had room 311 which in on the top floor. It was a double room and was considerably bigger than my f...