“winter wonderland!”
Review of Hotel Seehof

Hotel Seehof
Ranked #7 of 42 Hotels in Zell am See
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We were lucky enough to return to the Seehof for a long weekend recently, as we wanted to experience Zell am See in it's (late) winter clothes. We were very spoiled once again by our lovely hosts and can now boast that we've stayed in one of the gorgeous apartments! We had a very warm welcome on our arrival and were delighted that everyone remembered us from our previous visit.

The sun shone all weekend and the slopes were buzzing with those keen to catch every hour they could fit in on their skis and snowboards. We just enjoyed watching them whilst sipping our coffee and sampling the many cakes on offer in the cafes on the mountains. In this location you're spoilt for choice in both Zell and neighbouring Kaprun for fabulous shops, cafes and activities.

Our weekend wouldn't have been complete without a trip to the Tauern Spa in Kaprun which is a short bus ride from Zell. We will definitely be back again as this is a real treat and in our opinion, not to be missed if you have time to devote a day there. Swimming in the heated outdoor pool surrounded by mountains when the sun dips below the horizon is indescribable!

Once again the food at the Seehof was delicious, the facilities were tip-top with very clean accommodation. What more could anyone ask?!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VivienneC69

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed here for a week from the 9th of March. From the start the owners/staff were amazing. The food was so good we could see no point in even trying somewhere else for one night. The rooms are cleaned daily and the view from the room across the lake was lovely. We had trouble with two rude guests across the hall but apparently so did everyone else on our floor (no fault of the hotel) We would stay again without even thinking about it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 17, 2013

4 star food and service in a 3 star hotel!
Excellent location for ski slopes, bars, restaurants and the view of the lake!
The staff were fantastic at all times, so personable and nothing was too much trouble.
Very personable, clean, friendly and modern with an Austrian feel.
The 4 course dinner each evening was tastier than many resort restaurants we have been to! Excellent selection and choice we could make each evening and the meals were very well presented. Breakfast was also of a very high standard with a wide choice of foods. The sauna was of a very high standard and very rarely used so no problem to book for those tired ski legs!
Great for vegetarians and meat eaters! We will return and will always recommend this place!

Room Tip: Front lake view rooms are gorgeous but lots of noise from the train line so rooms on the back should...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jafEngland
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I have just returned from a very enjoyable trip to the Hotel Seehof in Zell am See. My trip was booked at the last minute and for a single traveller there was very little choice. However, I must say I was really pleased that I was able to stay here.

From the moment I walked in it was like being welcomed into somebody elses home. Information was given clearly and everything I needed to know about the hotel was explained. Each member of staff I met appeared to enjoy their role and had a smile on their face.

The hotel is situated in a fantastic position to access the town and is only a short walk to the buses and ski lifts. For the independant traveller the train station is also very close.

For me I had a single room which had all of the facilities I required. Toilet, shower, basin, tv, bed, chair and a small table.

The thing that made the room for me was the balcony. WOW! I had a view over the town and up to the mountains. With the snow on the ski slopes it was magnificent. When leaving the hotel the view to the front was equally spectacular. The lake, distant hills and mountains provide the hotel with some amazing views.

There are a couple of draw backs which the hotel has no control over. Being so close to a railway means you will hear trains. I never wear them but for some ear plugs may be needed. Also the Church does like everybody to know it is there with a 7am wake up call.

Now that I've stayed here I can't wait to visit again.

Room Tip: As a skier I loved looking out over the town to the slopes. In the summer I might prefer a view of t...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank shergie
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I would like to start this review by saying that this Hotel is amazing! The staff are awesome, the food is amazing and quite frankly I cannot fault it, I will stay again with no hesitation! Yes it is close to a train line, however the trains are quiet and there is no vibration from them, it never woke me up and I am a light sleeper! There are amazing views over lake, its in a great location, friendly staff who cannot do enough make your stay comfortable, very clean rooms and a secure room for ski's and snowboards with a heated room for ski boots! Perfect perfect perfect! However....

Now the negative, we booked direct and on the hotels advise we booked a transfer from Salzburg using a company called "Holiday Shuttle" (http://www.holiday-shuttle.at), this was BAD advise! Holiday Shuttle are cheap yes, but the reason for this is that they are scammers! You may save a few quid and feel good about it, but you WILL miss your flight home (we left 4.5 hours to travel to Salzburg and still missed it due to the driver being an hour late!) and the money you save by not taking a reputable company will not compensate the money will lose by using Holiday Shuttle. Oh and if you think your holiday insurance will pay you back, they won't and Holiday Shuttle will not accept responsibility! The only thing they are good at is shrugging shoulders...

To the Hotel Seehof team: Please please please stop recommending "Holiday Shuttle" to customers, it was the only negative of the holiday and we are £300 out of pocket for using them due to missed flights and taxi's!

Room Tip: Go for third or fourth floor with views over the lake.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Doug M
Reviewed February 16, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a fantastic week skiing at the Hotel Seehof. I have never reviewed on TripAdvisor before but felt I wanted to as the Seehof is simply FANTASTIC! A medium sized hotel where it is clear that all the staff love their job and take pride in delivering excellent service. The food was simply excellent, from a healthy buffet breakfast through to a 4 course evening meal which was not only generous but made brilliantly using only the best ingredients. The salad buffet was also pretty special and could be a meal unto itself! The 3 choices for the main meals were always varied and it was often harder to decide which sounded nicest! In fact, my wife and I shared a birthday whilst on holiday, and although our initial plans were to eat out on our birthday, we concluded that we'd be hard pushed to find better food so we enjoyed our birthday at the hotel.

Our room overlooked the lake. There was no noise from trains and the views of the frozen lake were simply brilliant, especially as it was thawing then refreezing over the course if the week. The lobby has fast, free WiFi. No passwords, just sit down and use it. This is typical of the Seehof. Drinks are good value with an Après Ski Gluhwine at €2.50 being very good value. Reception also put us in touch with Discount Rentals who provided Seehof guests with an extra discount on our intermediate skis for around €85 which is a good saving on Inter Sports at €137. If you're feeling lazy after a days skiing you can hire a locker below the main Zell gondola (within Inter Sports) to hold your skis, boots and helmet. The locker was €42 for the week between two of us which does seem pricey but as we'd saved so much on the hire we did it. Carrying the skis back to Seehof would have been around 7 minutes but we just fancied the convenience. Make sure you make the effort to go to Kaprun at least once as it's very different to Zell and only 30mins by bus.

In summery, we couldn't recommend Hotel Seehof any higher!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Steven S
Reviewed January 29, 2013

As soon as we checked in I knew we had made the right choice. We were early so the manager requested our room was cleaned as a priority. Whilst waiting Eva the manager was chatty and updated us on the local weather and the slopes. She explained everything about the hotel and then we were offered a free drink whilst we waited. The room was small but adequate for the two of us, it was apparently the smallest room in the hotel but had a reasonable view over the church. It had a nice balcony which was perfect after a hot shower to cool down on or to just gaze at the piste bashers doing their thing. The location was perfect less than 5-6 mins from the slopes and far enough from the town to be woken by late night revellers.
Food was good, breakfast had a great choice and dinner was a choice of three main courses and two starters. The food was simple but plentiful.
The staff in all of the hotel couldn't be more friendly, they were excellent.
The sauna was not in the hotel but was just outside, it was booked privately so you could book an hour to yourself if you liked and the shower changing facilities were lovely.
I twisted my knee early in the holiday and was offered an ice pack from the freezer every night which was a nice touch. Everyday on return from skiing you were asked how it was which again was a nice gesture.
Overall the town of zell am see is great, I'd never go with a tour operator again crystal/Thomson were pretty poor we were asked if we wanted to buy a discount card for some of the bars, we did and then when we tried to use them the bars refused, I asked the rep and he said he had previously had trouble with some of the bars and said he would sort it......he didn't !
By far the best chilled après ski bar was the Gin House, which is right by the main road ! Great gin great staff and the best gluhwein in Zell
The ski hire people were also great and I couldn't recommend them highly enough they were just over the main crossroads towards the cable car on the right red canopy with coats and skis for sale outside
I highly recommend you get the 660 bus to kaprun/maisekogel one day for a relaxed days skiing and then on a clear day hit the glacier at kitzstienhorn

Anyway overall a great holiday and a lovely hotel !!!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple