“Can't wait to go back this winter!”
Review of Hotel Seehof

Hotel Seehof
Ranked #8 of 43 Hotels in Zell am See
Tennessee
“Can't wait to go back this winter!”
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Sister came over for a week, and I decided to give Zell am See a shot since I've heard some many lovely things from my friends who risk life and limb on skis every winter. I picked the Hotel Seehof because it was close to the water and had a room available. Those were my criteria, and they met them easily! ha

The hotel was super easy to find with our trusty (read: stupid!!) GPS. It is right next to the train station, however, this did not bother either of us because Sister was jetlagged and I can sleep through a tornado. We had a double room that faced the back of the property and a church, so church bells woke us every morning. I'm used to this. Sister did not cotton to this very well. The hotel is within easy walking distance of shops and restaurants and the esplanade from which you can take the boat tours.

Anyway, the front check in staff was wonderful. TPTB at my bank still seem to think that if I use my debit card in Italy in the morning and then in Austria later in the day that it MUST have been stolen online. Geography doesn't seem to be a strong suit here. While booking my room the days before, I couldn't get my card to work, but the hotel held my room anyway on the basis of my word that we'd show up. Totally awesome! THAT'S customer service.

Parking is available on site if you have a small car. Do not bring a Suburban here and expect to leave with your side mirrors or all of your paint. WiFi can be had in the lobby, and they also have a computer for your use.

The room typical European small room, but it was clean and comfortable. Sister does not share this opinion. She's not crazy about the firm beds and no A/C. The hotel, like many others, is an old building with no soundproofing or insulation. This meant that we could hear people walking around quite a bit, and it also meant that when the cleaning ladies started up their vacuum at 0745, we were up with them. They also talked to one another the entire time that they were on our floor. I did make note of this in my check out comments, but I think someone else beat us to it because on the last morning, they were pretty quiet.

The breakfast was pretty standard with breads, a few meats and cheeses and cereals. It always seemed fresh and plentiful, and we took advantage of it. We did not eat in the restaurant at any other time, so I'll not comment on that.

Overall, I was happy with my stay. I'll go back there again. I hope to drag Mr Reaves there this winter to meet up with friends, but we'll have to see how that goes.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank laura_belle35758

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Jarrow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2011

The Seehof is right next to the lake and has great views from the rooms at the front of the hotel. The downside of this is the noise from the train line and main road which is only a few yards away, and as the rooms have no air-con, you do have to leave the windows open if the weather is warm.

Our room (number 11) was a family room, which could take 2 adults + 2 children, but it would it would have been a squeeze. The rooms (and hotel) were very clean. The meals were good, and our half-board option was a starter, salad, soup, choice of three mains plus a sweet. The choice was good and the food very nice.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. There was free WiFi available, as well as an internet connected PC in reception. A lift could be used to reach all floors. There was no bar, but you could order drinks from reception until about 10pm.

Room Tip: If you don't want to hear the trains, ask for a room at the back
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank lcuthbert
Warwickshire
Reviewed June 24, 2011

We booked a week at the Seehof Hotel through the travel agents after reading the great reviews on Trip Advisor and - as usual - they didn't let us down. We found a real gem of a hotel! The location is excellent - right beside the lake and just a 2 minute walk from the centre of Zell. Yes, there is a train line right in front of the hotel and yes, the trains can be noisy, but we can honestly say they didn't bother us in the slightest. We slept like babies!
Please don't let this put you off staying at The Seehof - as another reviewer has pointed out, other more expensive hotels on the lake also experience some noise from passing trains, and it would be a shame to miss out on all the fantastic things that The Seehof has to offer because of this one thing.
We had Room 42 at the very top of the hotel, with a balcony overlooking the lake - amazing! Simply furnished but with everything we needed, it was very comfortable and spotlessly clean - perfect! There was a great shower in the ensuite, too!
All of the staff, without exception, were very friendly and helpful - they couldn't do enough for you. There was a lovely welcome when we arrived, great service in the restaurant and the ladies that looked after our room were very nice too!
Food was great. The breakfast buffet was very good, with a selection of cereals, yoghurt, cheeses, meat, jams, rolls, etc to choose from. You can also have toast and - if you ask for them - boiled eggs (a useful tip we found on Trip Advisor!). There is also a good selection of juices and hot drinks. Dinner was superb - everything was cooked and presented beautifully. There were 4 courses plus salad every day with a choice of 3 mains, chosen at breakfast each morning. There was a good variety and something we liked every day. Puddings were gorgeous - we particularly liked the bee sting cake, creme caramel and pancakes with jam (yum)!!!
Thank you to everyone at The Seehof for a wonderful stay - can't wait to visit again!!!

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KandJWarwickshire
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2011

perfect location near train and bus station, near the town, very clean comfy room, very helpful staff, and the food in the restuarant was great. if you stay in the summer my top tip is to buy the cable car 6 day pass you can use all the cable cars, swimming pools and buses.the only down side was the noise of the trains but the grand has the same problem, take ear plugs. will stay again. Helen John

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank helenleah
UK Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Stayed for a weekend in June - booked a double room with a mountain view.

The bedroom was a good size and very very clean, as was the rest of the hotel - bathroom was larger than most and light and bright.

The restaurant and terrace had great views of the lake and the railway line that we were a little nervous about before arriving was absolutely no problem, espacially when compared to the noise that we have found from the pedestrain area hotels from late night drinkers.

Would definately book again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mychuno
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed March 24, 2011

I' m writing again about this wonderful hotel! I and my daughter Sofiya spent our winter vacation at Seehof Hotel this January, that was unforgettable!!! We were greatly impressed by the blue mountains and silver lake out of the window , there is a warm friendly atmosphere and a very much careful personal staff at the Hotel, they are allways ready to help you to give you a piece of advice to see sightseeing of Zeel am Zee and even to find a suitable train to Salzburg to see Mozart Geburthaus, we enjoyed good food, tasty deserts and pretty good wine! We feel like at home! We enjoyed skiing in Zell am Zell very much!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank s0fiya
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2011

We visited on a ski holiday (4 blokes). The staff are fantastic, really friendly and helpful. The food was excellent. Zell is a really good resort. Plenty going on. Definitely recommend it.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends