“I Cannot Imagine a Better Choice for Zell am See during Christmas!”
Review of Hotel St. Georg

Hotel St. Georg
Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Zell am See
Edmonton, Canada
“I Cannot Imagine a Better Choice for Zell am See during Christmas!”
Reviewed January 19, 2010

My husband and I cannot say enough good things about Hotel St Georg. This being our first Christmas holiday in Europe, we did not realize that most hotels in ski resorts book guests for 7 days. We had booked our airfare from Canada and our first 4 nights at a hotel in Salzburg (of a 2 week trip) when we chose Zell am See to spend Christmas. It was a surprise to discover it difficult to find accommodation for 3 nights. Hotel St Georg was gracious and kind enough to accommodate my husband and I for 3 nights. We should have known from the initials e-mails that the St Georg Hotel is not your typical hotel.

We arrived the afternoon of Christmas Eve and were pleasantly greeted by reception and escorted to our room. The room was spacious, meticulously clean and the bathroom was spotless. The bedding was of extremely good quality and the bed very comfortable. A plate of cookies, along with a personalized letter to greet us and a small wrapped gift awaited our arrival in our room. Because of, and thanks to Family Sauper and the St Georg team, this is a Christmas that we will not soon forget. Christmas Eve began with guests gathering outside around a fire with warm punch and roasted chestnuts complete with four musicians playing brass instruments. A very thoughtful touch by the owners. Once guests were in the dining room, everyone including the owners and their two children enjoyed a wonderful dinner. As mentioned the Christmas tree was lit with candles (a tradition that we are not familiar with), the children played Christmas carols and Santa arrived while Mrs. Sauper handed out a gift to the children. How thoughtful is that??

All dinners were delicious and 5 course (4 served at the table and the 5th is the salad buffet). The food was very good. I found it charming that the owners dined in the dining room with the guests. Breakfast was another treat and we appreciated the eggs cooked to order by one of the staff members. Every afternoon there was something provided in the bar/lounge by the kitchen. One afternoon is was delicous cakes, another it was wonderful apple strudel of which my husband greatly appreciated. The lounge and dining room are both very inviting spaces. As others have commented, it is like staying in someone's home.

My husband and I have travelled a fair bit and stayed at all types of accommodation around the world. Myself being a very detail oriented person, I notice little things. This is a well run and extremely well managed hotel. The staff are friendly and seem happy at their jobs. Mrs. Sauper tends to every detail of the hotel and the service and quality shows. In January once home we were surprised and delighted to find a postcard from the St Georg hoping to see us again soon and wishing us well. Details like this, in this day and age, you just don't see anymore. Fantastic job Family Sauper and St Georg Team!!

Should we return to Zell am See I wouldn't even think about staying at another hotel and I would highly recommend the St Georg to others.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank flymeaway2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
Rijeka
Reviewed January 9, 2010

For the first time, we decide to spend our ski/christmass vacation in Zell am See. We booked St. George hotel via internet, and were very pleased from the first e-mail contact, to the last minute of our vacation. Family Sauper and other hotel staff made our stay and christmass atmosfere as we are part of the family. Accomodation was more than clean and spacious for my family with two kids. Hotel is good situated, walking distance to cable car (with ski boots), and bus stop just few meters away. Restaurant, vine and food were excelent from local Austrian dishes, French cousine, international, all served very nice and cooked exclusivly from very fresh ingredients. Amoung all staff that was merit of chief cook who is extremly passionated, educated and dedicated to his work. We really enjojed international athmosphere, there were guests from dozen Europeean countries. Usually we do not use side facilities, but this hotel have really nice very clean SPA with saunas, so we enjoy it after skiing.
Hotel was full, so it is vise to make early booking.

surrey
Reviewed December 30, 2009

We stayed at the St Georg the same time as the next reviewer (fionaloveshols) and I agree with everything she says.

In addition, I would like to add that the family Sauper made C'mas Eve v special - they hosted a gluhwein and chestnuts reception outside with a wood fire and brass quartet before lighting the C'mas tree candles in the restaurant. Santa Calus then visited and gave every child a present ( inc some v embarrassed teenagers) then the Sauper children entertained us on the guitar and recorder.

The lounge is as comfortable as your own home (if not more so) and board games are readily available. The bar area with separate smoking room is also v inviting (as some guests discovered late into the night) and the whole area is a great place to meet up with fellow guests.

My only neg. comment would be that though the food is absolutely amazing (see photo) it is perhaps a bit too rich and exotic for most children - a simpler kid's menu might be better.

Zell am see is a lovely destination - we stayed in nearby Kaprun twice last year, which is also lovely, but enjoyed ourselves more this time both in the hotel and on the slopes. Zell am See has more going on at C'mas and New Year than Kaprun - the ' dipping the C'mas tree' in the lake was q a spectacle and we could have gone to an ice hockey match and several C'mas services.

Ashtead, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2009

The St Georg (pronounced 'gay-org') is a wonderful, clean, friendly hotel with excellent facilities. The food is great with 4 or 5 courses each evening and a choice between 3 main dishes. The breakfasts are fantastic - great variety and designed to please everyone. The rooms are spotlessly clean and our bathroom was a generous size with a decent sized bath. Towels changed daily and robes, slippers and toweels provided for sauna, pool and gym. The fitness suite is spacious with 2 saunas, steam room, small gym and 15m approx pool; all very clean and perfect for relaxing after a hard day's skiing. The hotel provides a mini-bus driven by Herr Sauper to the Schmittenhohe lift each morning or you can walk down to city express lift (about 3 mins). At the end of the day the free ski bus drops you about 1 minute's walk from the hotel. We went during the first week of the season so not all of the runs back to the village were open although the black ones were. The skiing was lovely with plenty of variety and lots of places to stop for food and drinks. The pedestrian area of the village is quite lovely. especially at night with all of the lights. One of our sons was ill for 2 days and Frau Sauper could not have been more helpfukl and kind; offereing all day room service at no extra charge, lending me a thermometer and regularly asking for updates! Elvis, the wine expert in the restaurant was infromative and interesting about the selection of wines on offer and although they were expensive, we didn't mind, (about 30 euros per bottle). Good skiing, fab food and great hotel - what more can you ask for!

Hertfordshire
Reviewed November 19, 2009

Stayed for two weeks as part of a mountain biking holiday. We had a room at the back of the hotel, this was very comfy and clean, the bed was extremely comfortable - ideal for aching limbs. The room overlooked a pine forest which made the room a little dark - you can pay extra or if you are lucky get allocated a room at the front with a balcony overlooking the town - you get what you pay for. Other members of my family joined us for one week and were allocated a room at the front of the hotel, fantastic view. If I were to visit again I would pay extra for the balcony. The meals were fantastic in quality and quantity! Very interesting and varied menu with superb breakfast, freshly cooked ommletts a speciality. The hotel had special events that were free to residents such as wine tasting and bbq, bike loan was free (for true biking enthusiasts better to hire a proper mountain bike). Hotel staff / family were very, very helpful and friendly - they made a special evening with my daughter as it was her birthday - table decorations and special desert. The hotel restaurant really is equal to a good restaurant outside. I eventually had to cut out some courses of the meal as I was becoming too full to ride my mountain bike - unheard of from me! Recived a farewell pack and postcard sent to our home, nice gestures made me feel special. The hotel swimming pool was smallish but adequate. Although afternoon cake was free the teas / coffees were a little expensive. A glass of wine / fruit juice was free with the meal with a charge made for addditional drinks, these were somewhat expensive - but hey it is a hotel. Hotel was central to town (10 minute walk) but away from any noise. A very good hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank NeilSHertfordshire
Bristol
Reviewed October 7, 2009

My wife and I had a wonderful relaxing two week break in this very friendly family run, visually impressive, smallish (33 rooms) hotel which is set slightly above the picturesque mountain lake town of Zell am See. The hotel has a lovely friendly atmosphere which is carefully cultured by the owners who wlecome you personally into their environment and offer all kinds of help and assistance if required to help make your break a success. Of particular note is the restaurant, reputedly one of the top 100 in Austria which serves food all of which has a regional flavour and is excellently presented and served by very attentive staff. The breakfasts are worthy of mention with a tremendous buffet selection plus hot dishes which are prepared by the chef who comes out of the kitchen to cook them in front of you to your exact requirement. If staying for a period of time it is worth paying a little more and getting one of the balcony rooms at the front looking into the wooded valley and the lake beyond. With these rooms if you leave the door or window open you can hear the rushing water from the stream which flows in front of the hotel, very theraputic on a summers night. We were on a package holiday but found by using the excellent local transport and the services of the very helpful tourist office in the town that it was very easy and reasonable to travel far and wide and visit places not on the normal excursion itinery. During our time there we particularly enjoyed the friendly nightlife in the town, ten minutes walk away, most evenings there was some activity on including, on wednesday evenings, the street festivals. If you intend walking, not to be missed the trips up the mountains, it is worth investing in one of the many multi-day cablecar passes avaiable from the cable car stations of which there are two in opposite directions a short distance from the hotel

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank STVBristol
Gloucestershire, UK
Reviewed September 21, 2009

I have to agree with all the latest reviews. We had a very pleasant stay here. Staff were very friendly and efficient and the room was lovely. The bathroom was bigger than mine at home! The bathroom also had a very good shower (this worried me before we got there as it said just a bath in the brochure).
The entire hotel was spotlessly clean and the cleaner was like a magic fairy - very often nipping in whislt we had breakfast leaving our room spotless for when we got back. She was also very friendly and obviously happy in her job which was nice to see.
I'm a vegetarian and this wasn't a problem for the kitchen staff who kindly russled up special dishes. You must try an omlette at breakfast - lovely!
Only 2 minor criticisms: I don't think I've ever slept in such a hard bed and sadly the nice little swimming pool was very cold so I only used it the once.
Still, an excellent hotel and I would definately go back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple