“Beautiful hotel in great locaton”
Review of Hotel Berner

Hotel Berner
Ranked #12 of 43 Hotels in Zell am See
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel in great locaton”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

This is one of the best hotels I have experienced. We had a beautifully appointed room with balcony over looking the lake. The service in Hotel Berner is wonderful and very friendly. The food is amazing. We upgraded to half board because of the extremely high quality of the food which I would rate as 'gourmet'. It is very unusual for us to eat dinner in our hotel but, on this occasion, it was the correct decision, as every night we were presented with a fabulous 5 course dinner. We were made to feel most welcome on arrival and this high level of service and friendliness remained throughout our stay. Hotel Berner is in an ideal location fro exploring the surrounding area being within easy reach of cable car, bus station and train statiion. We would definitely return here as there is a wide range of activities in the area and Hotel Berner is the perfect base. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a junior suite with lake view. Lots of space and lovely balcony.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Geographyrocks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
surrey
Reviewed July 4, 2014

A good location with great views, the staff make you very welcome. We only stayed B&B so cannot really comment on food, we found the breakfast selection small but enough, the hot buffet is tiny and was not replenished as often as it should. We paid for a suite which was spotless and very modern so worth paying that little bit extra. The spa area is small so imagine when at full capacity in the skiing season it might be a bit of squeeze, luckily for us there were not many quests staying so it was empty. It states the hotel is next to the cable car which it is but if you are a skier you cannot access it directly so you have a 5 minute walk along the street. Would recommend this hotel, will be back one ski season.

Room Tip: Suite on the 2nd floor or above, we had a 1st floor view which cut out the view of the village.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Chichester
Reviewed June 28, 2014

An immediate and very warm welcome from the Berner family when we arrived from Vienna, with complimentary teas whilst we registered, before being shown up to an immaculate lovely room with balcony from which we could enjoy direct views of the lake and surrounding mountains.

Very relaxing after the grandeur of imperial Vienna and the transition of our day's rail journey via the stunning engineering of the Semmering pass - immaculate timing and immaculate trains.

But what of Hotel Berner. We booked half board and we couldn't have done better - a good buffet breakfast and 5 course dinner, providing more food than we could either eat or attempt to do so in the lovely traditional dining room - not to mention complimentary cakes in the afternoon if required.

We also received complimentary 'Zell am See - Kaprun cards' for the duration of our stay (worth more than their weight in Gold), giving free access to the mountain lifts, lake cruises/ferries and reduced rates (1 euro) on the excellent local buses, etc.

Our one criticism - the excessive 9 Euro taxi fare for an easily walkable journey from the station (beside the lake), except when you're towing your luggage uphill! But this wasn't the fault of the hotel and we walked on every other occasion.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a room with a view - why else go to the mountains in the summer.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Knight45
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We were there in the end of May. Low season. Quiet, great location, great service. For easy hikers, perfect, just go! Not very children friendly, which is good if you find quiet place. Pool area works, small but enough

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JarkkoTainio
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Had a brilliant week at this hotel - can't recommend it enough - lovely hotel, with everything you could possibly need after a days skiing - spa to relax, great service and hospitality, attentive and welcoming staff, delicious food. I will be returning next year!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank sn0white27
dallas/ft worth
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Stayed in the Hotel Berner back in mid-December 2013 for 3 nights. Really enjoyed the staff, the hotel and the food. Hotel was clean and fairly close to the ski lifts and town. Not really a ski in and out like I imagined from my experience in the states but it did have a ski locker.

My mixed feeling came after I stayed in the hotel. A month after we stayed at the hotel, I received an email saying they mischarged me on a ski pass and wanted me to send my credit card info via email to them. I dug thru my receipts and credit card statements and couldn't figure out either way of who was correct. They charged us for the ski passes upon arrival and gave us 2 ski passes for 2 days, so I figured I was already paid up. I finally just sent my CC info to them after 3-4 emails going back and forth on the issue. They were unable to provide any receipts or records- which is all I was asking for. After finally sending them my CC info in an email stating why I thought it was bad business to ask for a payment over a month after staying in the hotel when I am 1/2 way across the world when they were they ones making the mistake, I get this response from the hotel. (Remember this is after I paid them extra for the so called "mischarge"- resolving their issue nearly 3 months after we left the country):

"Today we charged the rest of the open amount of Euro 78,00 from your mentioned VISA card. Please find therefore the invoice enclosed.

It is very unfair to leave a negative review about our hotel on trip advisor, because of a small mistake. Mistakes can happen and I apologized for it!
It is also very unprofessional from you not to agree with the payment of a skipass which you apparently USED!
You bought the skipass on your arrival day directly at the reception and paid immidiately.
Probably you saw that I only charge the half amount because you signed it.
The rest of your stay in our hotel you didn’t say anything to me. That’s not very honest from you and also unfriendly!
Also we want to let you know that we wrote you the first E-Mail about the mistake in January, which was 1 month later not 3 months!
Kind regards
Family Berner"

In my line of work if a mistake is made we just always side with the customers to keep them happy. I really wasn't mad about the money, I was more surprised they were asking for payment for something that happened over a month before. I know traveling aboard comes with it challenges, I don't speak German and I paid for so many things on a vacation with my CC it is hard to keep up with everything. When we arrived at the hotel it was late in the evening after a day of traveling, I honestly signed the credit card statement, was handed two ski passes and went to our room to get ready for dinner. I guess it was wrong of me to assume that the amount was correct. I really didn't appreciate the tone of the email or being called un honest after I sent them what they were wanting.

Anyways I really did enjoy this hotel but I hate the way I was treated. I am in a customer service industry myself, and would never think of asking a client to pay for something I was unable to (A) provide receipts or proof of service for and (B) a month after the fact. I hate that it ruined my feelings towards this place, but there are not too many hotel choices in this area so I guess they can get away with any business practice they choose.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank bigdevo79
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2014

This is a family run hotel, with great service. From the moment of our arrival we were made welcome, and the staff could not have been more attentive. Luggage was delivered to our room while we were offered cake (available in the lounge every afternoon at 3pm, apres ski). The room was warm and comfortable, with soft quilts, a tea tray and kettle, mini bar, shampoo and body lotion (NB no shower gel)

The evening meal was a set menu with choice of two main courses and desserts, chosen in advance each morning. We enjoyed the food, and breakfast was plentiful. A lovely touch was the surprise birthday cake, complete with sparklers, presented one evening.

On arrival we were offered the services of Ski Mobile, which was very convenient. A mobile unit came to the hotel carpark, for fitting boots and skis, although the shop was only a five minute walk away if anything needed to be changed later. Hotel guests get a ten per cent discount too!

We had a fabulous stay at the Hotel Berner and would thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple