“Really sad to give it 2/5 BUT...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Steinerwirt

Steinerwirt
Ranked #1 of 79 Restaurants in Zell am See
Cuisines: Austrian, European, Central European, German
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dublin, Ireland
“Really sad to give it 2/5 BUT...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Ok to start off, this is probably one of the best restaurants in Zell. Traditional, very cozy and with amazing food. We ate there on three occasions and food was amazing each time! Service was also very friendly and as someone said before it may take a bit longer to get served if you don't speak German BUT if you are in a country and don't speak the language then you have no right to expect the same thing from everyone else ;-)

Why 2/5 rating then you may ask?
Well simple, on the day of my girlfriend's birthday we went to Steinerwirt for a dinner (third time the same week hehe) They never failed to deliver before and we thought we would stick with the winning team. Unfortunately this time it didn't end so well and my girlfriend ended up with severe food poisoning after eating a veal schnitzel - I ate about a quarter of it and ended up with a slight case of poisoning as well.

Now this was more than likely just a bad luck and I understand that it doesn't happen often but in my books such a huge thing as food poisoning negates whatever good you may have to say about a restaurant and the quality of food served (however good it was).

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Johannes S, Owner at Steinerwirt, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
First of all, I am very sorry to read your note. The allegation of food poisoning related to a visit of our restaurant is a very serious one. We are a professional business and thus have a number of quality standards in place:

1. Certified origin of raw products:
All our veal comes from one local wholesaler and is exlusively certified Austria meat.

2. Regular delivery and hygienic packaging:
The meat is delivered three times a week and packaged in vacuum sealed plastic bags.

3. Storage at monitored temperature:
Raw meat is stored in our cool store at controlled temperature between 0 and 2 degrees centigrades. The temperature is continually computer-monitored and, additionally, checked by our staff daily. Raw veal and beef are always stored separately from chicken.

3. Fast and professional processing:
All raw products are processed on a first-in-first-out basis. The Wiener Schnitzel is one of our top selling signature dishes, which further guarantees that the raw veal is never stored more than 2-3 days before production. Given the volume of Wiener Schnitzels our chefs prepare, the butter cream in the frying pan is changed several times a day.

4. Hygiene-standard compliance (HCCP):
All our standards are in compliance with the official Austrian hygiene monitoring system (HCCP).

5. Staff training:
Our chefs are professionally trained employees for hygiene monitoring in compliance with HCCP.

Again, we are very sorry about your illness. Given the reasons outlined above, we believe, however, that its cause might be unrelated to your consumption of our Wiener Schnitzel. Especially in the winter time, viral and droplet infections (even by touching a door handle!) are frequent and difficult to distinguish from bacterial infections.

We would be happy to welcome you again in the future and send

Kind regards,
Owner, on behalf of the team at Steinerwirt1493

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ljubljana, Slovenia
“Hungry in Zell am See – look no further!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

It will be hard to go to another restaurant in Zell am See after I ate in Steinerwirt 1493. I was there once alone and once with my family and it was a treat.

First of all the stuff greats you very warmly and sits you according to your preference. After that the show begins. I love Austrian food and ordered Tafelspitz and then the show started. It felt like Vienna at first and exceeds it at the end when Herr Ober suggested a cup of Tafelspitz soup with a shot of sherry … it was second best to anyone.

We tried more foods with family and everything was superb. I suppose you can order anything of the menu and be happy about it.

The portions are very large, but I urge you to order Kaserschmarn it is pure poetry and I’m afraid I’ve just offended Apfelstrudel. There is so much more… And even the coffee is good and you are still in Austria :-)

1 Thank Rok P
Johannes S, Inhaber at Steinerwirt, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Thank you for your nice review & especially the photographs - all our chocolate pralines are handmade by our wonderful pastry chef Christine. You can imagine how proud she is that you posted pics of her creations. Thanks and please visit us again when you come back to Zell!

Kind regards,
Munich, Germany
“exceeded expectations!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

We ate at Steinerwirt last night and were very impressed. The dining area is nicely furnished and comfortable, the service was efficient and attentive. We were a group of 5, all meals were excellent and good value. They have a very good wine list, mostly Austrian wines which we very much enjoy drinking. I very much look forward to eating here again in the near future.

Visited January 2013
Johannes S, Owner at Steinerwirt, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thank you very much for your visit and I am glad to hear that you had a great time at Steinerwirt. And I promise you: We will try very hard to exceed your expectations again at your next visit!
Tipperary, Ireland
“Great Austrian cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Recommended to us by our hotel owner and we ate there on two occasions
On both the food was really good
Some Unusual combinations but really worked for us
The venison and the duck dishes were first class

Visited January 2013
Johannes S, Owner at Steinerwirt, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Rob,

It makes us very happy to hear that you enjoyed your visits to our restaurant. I really like the term unusual combinations, because for many reasons, this is what Steinerwirt is about - for example, the mix of a traditional restaurant and a modern hotel in one building. The main thing is, that it works for our guests!

Thank you very much for recommending us and please visit us again during your next holidays in Zell am See.

My very best regards,
Zell am See, Austria
“Top Restaurant !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

I live in Zell am See and I often visit this restaurant, taking friends who are staying with me. I just read a bad review on here and I have to say that I am completely shocked.I think that this reviewer is incorrect or confused - I cannot see how this could have possibly happened.. I have never known the staff to be anything other than professional, friendly and courteous. They are quick and efficient. The management in the Steinerwirt is top notch.
Local people as well as tourists eat here and that is perhaps the highest recommendation of all. To work as a waiter is regarded as a serious, professional job in Austria and waiters are highly trained. I am an English person who has travelled the world and am well used to high standards in food and service.
The food offered is excellent. Very highly recommended in summer or winter. I would also like to make it clear that I have no connection with anyone who works at this hotel/restaurant and do not know the owners.

1 Thank binky59
Johannes S, Owner at Steinerwirt, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you very much for your support - you really made our day! When we first read the review in question, we were shocked as well. We are all taking our job very seriously and always strive to serve a guests in a friendly and competent manner. To see ourselves represented as brute ignorants of the worst kind was not really what we ever expected to read on Tripadvisor.

Thus, we did take the matter seriously and startet an internal investigation. Ironically, the waiter in question is a really friendly person, a guy who brings a lot good mood to work every day. Upon re-reading the review, we found several errors of spelling, grammar, and punctuation. It seemed that the author might not be the native English speaker he/she claims to be. In conclusion, we suspect that most likely the review is fake. In consequence, we reported the case to Tripadvisor. This was over two months ago. We have not heard back from them since.

It is my conviction that guests like you - people who make the effort to write about the places they like and provide unsolicited support in cases like this - are a blessing for all: For the restaurants, because you make our work more gratifying. For other readers, because you help to keep things balanced. And also for Tripadvisor itself, because without you, it would risk becoming a plain and boring bashing site. Personally, I have discovered very nice restaurants through the recommendations I read here and I would not want to miss this experience.

Thank you and I look forward to seeing you again at Steinerwirt!

My best regards,