Vacationed here for a week with a timeshare exchange. The room was labeled as "efficiency" and provided that. The views were great, but no kitchenette which made eating very expensive. One Euro is $1.50, so the cost of food was through the roof in the hotel and throughout Austria and Germany. The hotel is great for daytrips though as long as you have a rental car. The Grossglockner, Hallstatt, St. Wolfgang, Salzburg, Eagle's Nest, Munich, Dachau, and some castles are all within driving distance. Make sure you set aside money for gas and food though.
I did not take part in any of the amenities of the hotel like that sauna, hot tub, exercise room, or pools. I pretty much just slept there. Go to Harry's Pub near the hotel for some good Czech beer and great conversation. The bar in the hotel is pretty decent, try the Eggenberg Dunkel, but it is PACKED after 8. Restaurants in the hotel are good enough, but a little pricey. As mentioned above, the breakfast prices are ridiculous. 15 Euro per person for a buffet with cold cuts, bread, fruit, and some eggs if you order them from the server.
The hotel staff were mostly very polite, mainly at the front desk. The restaurant(s) staff can be a little rude, but it is like that almost everywhere in that region of the country. Load up on juice, water, sodas, and other refreshments at the local EuroSpar grocery store as these items are very expensive in the mini-fridge and in restaurants. 2.60 Euro for a tiny cup of coffee, no refills. 3 Euros for a liter of water, although the water is distilled and very good. Like I said, load up at the grocery.
Overall, Alpenland is a great base point to explore the area. The locals can be nice enough and the scenery is beautiful. Be careful driving in St Johann though as there are quite a few accidents, at least while we were there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy the unique combination of international flair and traditional Austrian hospitality of Salzburger Land. The 4-star Alpenland Hotel offers an in town, central location with top-equipped rooms, luxury suites, 2 specialty restaurants, modern conference rooms, and an indoor/outdoor wellness area that guarantee a relaxing vacation. The wellness area offers an 18-meter pool, 2 hot tubs, sauna, steam bath, solarium and a garden. The fitness trainer will guide you through your training, or you can take advantage of one of the aerobic courses where you can build stamina, strength and coordination. Other highlights include two onsite outdoor tennis courts as well as nearby golf courses, bike paths and hiking trails. Sports of all types - from easy to challenging. Alpenland Sporthotel is your ideal starting point for one of the best and most attractive ski areas in Austria. Whether it's a matter of sporting activities in snow or ice, reflective hikes or idyllic sleigh rides, the Alpenland Hotel fulfills all your desires. Inhouse ski rental and shuttle bus transfer available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and Agoda so you can book your Alpenland Sporthotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alpenland Sporthotel Hotel Sankt Johann Im Pongau
- Alpenland Sporthotel St Johann Im Pongau, Austria - Salzburg Region