“Nice hotel, great staff but pricy”
Review of Interstar Hotel

Interstar Hotel
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We just returned from a week's holiday in this hotel via RCI exchange. As it was in August, we were given a studio room with balcony. The room is in adequate size with modern furnishings and very clean. The staffs are very friendly and helpful. The older man in the reception is extremely helpful in dealing with all sorts of enquires including finding us the routes and timetable for buses to the towns that we wish to go. All information printed out so that we can carry with us.
We found out that it is a compulsory all-inclusive hotel only after we confirmed booking with RCI. It is only written on the confirmation letter but not on their hotel description. This costs 630 Euro for 2 (excluding drinks or coffees). The food is just OK. There is also cleaning charge of Euro33.50 for the week and tax/Jokercard for Euro 75.60 (also compulsory). So even with no drinks and coffee, the final bill would be nearly 740 euros. The joker card is only for that area, it is much better off buying a 'Salzburgerland Card.'

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Hazel G

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We had a lovely stay in Saalbach and although the hotel is located a short distance from the town it didn't bother us as we were there in the spring and nothing much was open in the town. The food was lovely, there was a different theme to the food each evening, it was buffet most nights with table service a couple of nights. Our apartment was clean and comfortable opening straight onto the gardens so we were able to say hello to the resident pigs and chickens each day. All the staff we dealt with were helpful and attentive, Jurgen was a good host making sure we were ok and chatting with guests around the dining room. He was even on hand to help fix my case when it broke as we were leaving for the airport! The only thing that I wasn't so happy about were some of the extra charges that we got stung by when we checked out, maid service and the joker cards we were given at the start of the week, it was not made clear when we checked in that these would be extra costs. Other than this one niggle we had a lovely time staying in this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Carol C
Reviewed December 30, 2011

We were quite worried as we had the idea to read the reviews just the night before departure and most of them are not very good.. When we arived we found out that the hotel changed it´s owner in the year 2010 and things changed because and actually we can´t confirm any of the bad reviews.Though the hotel is more 3,5 stars than 4 stars, Jana and Frederick and the rest of the staff compensate the other half. We felt very comfortable and taken care of in every way. Also the food was really good for the whole stay. As we often come back to the same places we would go there again .We definitely can recommend this one.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Mada18
Reviewed August 25, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for a week while we traveled through Austria. The staff was very nice and highly accommodative. The staff even contacted me because they were worried we were so late on our first evening. The food was very good but a little expensive. The hotel is outside the main city but since we were traveling in Spring, we did not care. It’s an absolutely gorgeous area and we had a wonderful trip.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dklatt
Reviewed October 10, 2010

In September we stayed at the Hotel Interstar and we LOVED it! We traveled with our 14 month old daughter and it was extremely comfortable at the Interstar. The food, hotel, and staff were great. Frederick and Jana take a personal approach to their customers and they are always visible to their customers whether it was in the morning at breakfast to serving clients at dinnner. What an excellent way to get to know your customer! They made our stay at the Interstar extra special for our daughter and we appreciated that. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2009

We reserved 3 rooms for 7 of us for Easter 2008. We traveled from South Africa on an RCI exchange. The week before, a member of staff from the hotel phoned me at home to confirm our booking and to make sure that I knew it was a compulsory half board. I agreed that I was told this by RCI. I asked her the allocation of the rooms. She said that as we had children they would give us one room on the ground floor and the other 2 above. Fine.

When we got there after 24 hours of travel, the receptionist calmly informs me that the hotel is overbooked and they can only give us one room. The rest of us must go and stay across the road in an apartment that they will arrange for the weekend - oh but you can eat your meals here as arranged.
Well - you can imagine the fight that then ensued! I refused to leave the reception, told them I would report them to RCI (which I did and had all my exchange points refunded :-)) and basically had a shouting match with the staff for a hour. Then they said they would offer us 1 extra room. Suddenly. But we must all double up in the other. The room they offered us was clearly a staff room. We refused and went to stand in reception again. Refused to move until they made a better plan. They showed us another room. Acceptable. My Aunt and Uncle settled in there. The other 5 of us all had to squeeze into the remaining room.
The next day, the 3rd room we had booked became available. No apologies and no compensation at all.
The rooms themselves were clean and decent. No complaints there.
We found the food to be good. Easter morning found large baskets of easter treats on each table.
The hotel IS outside of Saalbach, in Vorderglem, so don't be misled. However the free ski bus in winter gets you there easily.
We still managed to enjoy our week, and not all the staff are as horrendous as the management. If I could trust that the management would actually guarantee the room, I may consider going again, but after reading other reviews...they are obviously still up to their tricks, even after having to explain themselves to RCI. It does appear as if they target South Africans though.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank linnyleroux
Reviewed March 10, 2009

We arrived at the hotel to be told by the reception staff that we would be sharing a room. We were 4 adults and this hotel had been booked 6 months previously! Upon booking I had requested two double rooms which was confirmed with my travel agent. I then questioned this with the reception and was told that they had phoned and spoken with me regarding the sharing of a room and I had confirmed this! This was an absolute lie!
After refusing to leave the reception area for almost 45min they managed to "find" another room for us. This solution was only until the last night of our stay whereupon we would have to double up again for one night.

The staff is rude and unhelpful, only speaking English when it suited them and if any problem arouse they would suddenly lose their ability to speak English!

We were told that the hotel only offers full-board. This I found very hard to accept considering that each room was equipped with a hob, fridge, and all cooking and eating utensils! While the food was good the amount that one has to pay is exorbitant and they adverise free soft drinks from a dispenser but this can only be enjoyed during meal times. My husband and his friend were actually asked to leave the restuaraunt as they had finished their meal and were chatting and the staff wanted to clean up. This was at 10pm!

Coming from South Africa which enjoys strict no-smoking rules the fact that smoking takes place all over the hotel is off-putting

The other big critism is the location of the hotel. It is advertised as being in Saalbach. This is not the case. The resort is in a village called Vorderglen and the ski slopes are only accessible by bus. The bus only runs every 20 mins and the last bus is at 5pm. Saalbach is an apres-ski paradise so if you are having a party after skiing you will have to catch a taxi. Taxi fares cost us a fortune while we were there for week.

You literally pay for everything, from the slippers and gowns you use in the spa to the right to use the safe in your room. Phone charges are horrendous. Ripping the customer off is what this hotel does best.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
10  Thank traveladdict0
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saalbach-Hinterglemm
Adler Resort
#4 of 77 in Saalbach-Hinterglemm
Alpina Family, Spa & Sporthotel
Alpina Family, Spa & Sporthotel
#6 of 15 in St Johann im Pongau

Been to Interstar Hotel? Share your experiences!