All reviewsfrau bergerelvis tom jonesprosecco barbergers sport hotelour waiterfree massagelap dancingsoupcentre of townreception staffapres skimain coursecentral locationa family run hotelthe main streetevening mealthe main hotel
Reviewed March 2, 2015

I stayed in Bergers Sport Hotel with my 3 children (14, 11 & 11) from Feb 14th - Feb 21st 2015. we enjoyed our stay very much. Reception staff, waiters, etc were all very friendly and helpful. The room was decent (nothing spectacular) with good beds and was kept in a good clean condition. We had a room at the front of the hotel were the apres-ski kicked off everyday at 4pm (live band outside the opposite hotel). we liked the music and even opened our window when we were changing before we joined the apres-ski. Ski room is in the basement. The pool and sauna is good. Food in the restaurant was ok (would have wished a bit more green veggies on the menu to be honest). Saalbach has enough other restaurants in case you get bored or want a change of scenery but would recommend to book at least 1 day in advance. We booked ski/snowboard lessons with Ski Academy, which is literally next door so very easy.Compliments also for the Neilson team (Nicola & Steve) who had activities planned every day in case you want to be active after skiing or in the evening. Lifts are close to the hotel. Very good hotel in a very good all-round ski resort. Would recommend Bergers Sport Hotel and would book it again.

• Stayed: February 2015, traveled with family
2  Thank IwanB1234
Reviewed March 1, 2015

Good location for skiers - short (5 min) walk to lifts and right in the centre of the resort which is good if you like to party. Our room was in the annexe across the road and although it's close to loud bars, we didn't find it too disturbing to sleep with the windows closed. The room was a bit dated but cosy, clean and a very comfortable bed. In the annexe the ski storage area was not too crowded, which was good. No locking/security for the skis, but not a problem if you've just got rented equipment. The food was good, fresh, local and a reasonably wide choice. If you are later to breakfast the good stuff sometimes runs out. Bedrooms and restaurant are non-smoking, but the bar is smoky. Friendly, helpful staff. The annexe is literally right next door to the Skifurst rental shop. The hotel is so close to all the bars etc that you can just about get away with leaving coats in the room to go out for evening drinks - handy if you want to avoid your ski jacket smelling of fag smoke! The pool area is very nice but lacks proper changing room. If you're in the main building that's fine, but going across the street in towel and flip flops is not ideal! Given that we were here in cold winter I wasn't too bothered about swimming anyway. Saalbach is a good resort if your group has skiers of different levels. Seems like a family friendly place - the table dancing club has a separate entrance and you can't see anything unless you actually choose to go in there (we didn't), so I wouldn't have any concerns about staying in the hotel with kids. Would I stay here again if I came back to Saalbach? Maybe, although for the money I would perhaps pick a hotel with slightly nicer rooms and no pool. Overall a good stay and a great holiday.

Room Tip: Annexe rooms are quieter and ski storage area not crowded.
  • Stayed: February 2015, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2015

We stayed here 17/01-24/01/15 and asked for a high floor quiet room, which we got. However the room was in the attic and my husband being tall kept knocking his head on the sloping roof. The owner was there when the room was allocated and didn't tell the staff to change the room considering that my husband is 6ft 1in and he had stayed there before....a shame for us. We did appreciate it was quiet though.

The room was pokey but clean and warm, not enough drying capacity.

I enjoyed the food but my husband being a bit fussy didn't like the menu as too Austrian. The daily salads were nice and varied. Don't be late for breakfast as all the good stuff goes. The chef does fresh eggs and omelette every morning which was fab. The waiters there particularly Peter and Atilla were friendly and helpful.

There was entertainment several times through the week which was good fun and there is a table dancing bar in the basement of the hotel which I found rather sad and seedy.

The Prosecco bar was ok if no one was smoking but being Brits we are just not used it anymore and don't like it....we just don't want to smell of an ashtray! Sheila the Hungarian bar tender was very nice and attentive and was an asset to the hotel.

The spa area was nice and we even had a massage which was amazing, I would definitely recommend one.

Overall we enjoyed our stay there and can say that the hotel is well situated in Saalbach, however it needs updating as it is very old fashioned.

Thanks to all the staff there for making our stay pleasant and enjoyable and sorry its taken me 4 weeks to write this.

Richard & Diana Hornby

Room Tip: Do not go on the top floor or on the staircase
  • Stayed: January 2015, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2015 via mobile

We had a great stay at the Berger sport, mainly cause Atila and Norbert were so attentive. They did an excellent job. Best waiters we could've hoped for. The decor at the hotel is a bit dated, but the food is amazing and the general feel very friendly. An ideally located hotel.

Stayed: February 2015, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lee D
Reviewed February 25, 2015

I completely agree with everything that BD1966 has written about the hotel.
First the plus points: the location of the hotel is ideal being right in the centre of Saalbach. It's close to the lifts, bars & shops.
It was nice having a pool although I didn't actually swim since the temperature was on the chilly side, but our son spent lots of time in there. The sauna was nice though. It would have been nice to have had proper single sex changing rooms, rather than it being in the main thoroughfare to the pool. This made it necessary to run through the hotel in swimming togs & towels! The relaxation area was nice though.
Now for the not so positive points: The rooms as BD1966 and others have said are not big at all but very small. They just managed to squeeze a camp bed in for our son and in order to move around during the day we had to pull the end of the bed up on to the bed side table!! It sounds as though we were lucky as we had a bath / shower so the bathroom was spacious enough for the 3 of us - although it lacked enough space to dry ski socks, swimming gear & towels all at once.
Breakfast was nice with plenty of choice. The evening meals were adequate but nothing exciting and we've certainly had much nicer food in Austria during our half-board stays. Peter and Laslo were our waiters and were both very friendly so no complaints there.
The free entertainer on Tuesday night was great fun! His Elvis impersonation was more late Elvis than early Elvis but he got everyone dancing!! We didn't stay for his Tom Jones act but by all accounts it was very good.
So to the decor - as most people have said it definitely needs a complete overhaul to take it out of the 1970's! It wasn't too offensive but there seems to be a lot of uber trendy, modern looking hotels around town which puts this one to shame. I never went in the Prosseco bar as it was far too smoky. I guess you can't blame the hotel itself as smoking is legal at the moment in Austria and it's a general gripe I have about the whole country. However, there was a general waft of cigarette smoke all over the hotel - despite the rooms being non-smoking I guess people may smoke on their balconies which then permeates in to the corridors.
Finally the boot room was far too small for the number of guests (not surprising since it was half term so the hotel was full).
Overall, I don't think we'd return to the hotel. The ski company said they had lots of customers going back year after year, but I'm afraid we have stayed in much nicer 3 & 4* hotels in Soll, Ellmau and Filtzmoos when skiing. I don't feel the hotel ruined our holiday in any way but it's a shame it wasn't nicer for it's 4* rating.

• Stayed: February 2015, traveled with family