“Friendliest hotel staff in Austria”
Review of Hotel Panther

Hotel Panther
Dublin
“Friendliest hotel staff in Austria”
Reviewed January 17, 2010

A group of 13 of us stayed here in Jan 2010 on a ski holiday we arranged ourselves. From the very beginning the service was far and away the best we have recieved in Austria where we had skied at least 4 or 5 times before. Claudia on reception was forever helpful and accomodating, despite severe travel delays on our side. The restaurant manager was particularly helpful as well, and Oliver who was waiting and bar tending was excellent as well as having a great sense of humor.

The hotel is perfectly located on the main street, and a new lift (elevator, not ski lift) at the rear of the hotel means you dont even have to walk a flight of stairs with your skis to get to the slopes.
Breakfast we excellent, with all the trimmings. Dinner was 5 course each night of fairly traditional Austrian fare, which though a little lost in translation on the English menu, was very tasty. Salad bar was excellent in particular.
Rooms were well proportioned and had recently been modernised. Spa and pool area were also fantastic, clean and relaxing.
Overall an excellent stay and a great time in a wonderful hotel and resort - I just wish I could ski better!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank TomInDublin

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Polish first
Dublin
Reviewed December 11, 2009

This is a good value hotel in probably the best location in town.
As mentioned, the rooms on the 1st floor have been updated, so they would reflect the 4* status more than other floors. Food is typical Austrian, no complaints! Bar is quite quiet, but it's cosy - if a little dated. But it's the cleanest bar I've EVER seen, they keep the whole place in immaculate condition. Pool is great, especially if you're lucky enough to have it snow while you're in it! Claudia at reception is very helpful and she speaks perfect English, if your German isn't up to speed. We're going back again this year, I don't think we'd get as good value in as good a location in any of the other hotels in Saalbach.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank OrlaMcD
newhaven
Reviewed October 1, 2009

We booked our holiday through Inghams called "A, taste of Salzburgerland" so the hotel and resort where allocation on arrival, and I must say we couldn't have had a better resort or hotel . The staff at the hotel were very friendly, everything was spotlessly clean and the village was beautiful . Walking in the area was wonderful up the top of the mountains you could see mountains all the way round, it really is an idyllic place. My husband and I have visited Austria many times every time you go you think it won't be as good as the last time and it just ends up being better what ever region you go to.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank paradisewalker
Cavan
Reviewed February 26, 2009

My children and I stayed in Panther first week Feb 09. We were on first floor which I understand has been renovated and the room was very pleasant and clean, if a little small. My youngest child was 13, but we were charges as 3 adults - a bit stiff I thought as beds and bathrobes were allocated on the basis of 2 adults. If she didn't class as an adult why was I charged for an adult?? Would not like to have shared with two 'fully grown' adults in such a small space. Third bed was tiny. The staff however were very pleasant and helpful, and the central location a huge plus. I thought the food was excellent. Just leave english/irish tastes at home and enjoy Austrian fare!!! The quality was really good. We were beside the nightclub, but I must admit it didnt disturb me. If I woke I could hear it, but it never woke me nor kept me awake at night. Overall a very pleasant experience. Wellness area really nice - and do have a massage - it did wonders for my wrecked legs and left me ready to face the slopes again, and I wasn't robbed!!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Cheshire, England
Reviewed January 19, 2009

Had a fabulous time in Saalbach & at the Panther. The location is amazing as it is no more than 5 minutes walk to any of the main ski lifts (gondolas). Breakfast as you would expect, lots of variety of cereal, breads, eggs, bacon, meats & cheeses. A 5 course meal each evening which was very good and presentation beautiful. Spa area clean but get there early to get a towel, the outside pool isn't massive either so dont be expecting to do alot of swimming. Good bar area but not the fastest staff although they are very friendly as are the reception staff.
On the down side 2 guys in our party were put in a double bed instead of a twin but they were moved to another more suitable room later in the week but this new room also had its problems as it was right next door to the 'Otzi Bar' (which I can highly recommend for a good boogie) but can be noisy with people coming out and banging doors if you are trying to get an early night. But on the whole it was fab and I wish I was still there now!!

Stayed January 2009
1 Thank LouLou090
portstewart
Reviewed January 11, 2009

We have just returned from a weeks skiing at the Panther 03/01 - 10/01, family of 5 - kids 17/14/11. The plus sides of the panther are 1. Location, you can ski back to 20m from hotel. 2. The rooms are spacious with good size bathrooms. 3. The staff are very friendly and helpful. 4. Saalbach is a great location for a family ski holiday. Undoubtedly the hotel is a bit dated and in need of a face lift, the food is average but well presented and we would rate this hotel more of a 3 star establishment. Overall though we had a very enjoyable week and if you book the Panther at the right money - we got a late deal with SkiDirect - you will have a good time!

• Liked — location and staff
  • Disliked — decor
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank peeler-dealer
cork
Reviewed January 11, 2009

We have just returned from a week of skiing in Saalbach Austria and we stayed in the Panther Hotel. The Hotel istelf has a great location close to two of the main ski lifts and positioned on the pedestrian street in saalbach. Upon arrival, during our stay and checking out the reception staff and restuarant staff could not have been more helpful and cheerful. nothing was too much trouble for the staff of the panther. My disappointment with the hotel was for several reasons. Water during dinner you must pay for at almost 5 euro a bottle not even a litre, even though at breakfast you can ask for a jug of tap water no problem ! Secondly the food whilst it was ok the salad bar was the same every night with no variation or imagination at all. the food was good but basic. Thirdly there was no tea or coffee after the meal, unless you paid for it again and that had to come from the bar ! The bar is uninviting as it is very small and not very friendly or cosy. also the drinks are at the push of a button and premeasured from a machine. I asked for a glass of wine and it was a very small measure compared to other hotels we visited in Saalbach where the wine was poured from the bottle - even for a glass.
The hotel has a non smoking policy in the restaurant which was one of the reasons i booked the hotel however the small bar and small reception area are smoking areas and we could not sit as the smoke was too much, therefore we went to other hotels with larger areas to sit where it wasn't as bad.
Our room was good as we booked a larger twin but the regular rooms are very small.
Our visit to saalbach was great - great skiing great location and great town. However, we will not return to the Panther on the basis of their smoking policy , charging for water at dinner , basic food and small uninviting bar and reception area. congrats to the great staff the Panther has.

• Liked — The Hotel staff were excellent and the location was great
  • Disliked — the food was basic, no non smoking areas in bar or rec, paying for water at dinner
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)