“Great location, friendly helpful staff and great facilities.”
Review of Hotel Auwirt

Hotel Auwirt
Hotel Auwirt
London, UK
“Great location, friendly helpful staff and great facilities.”
Reviewed February 5, 2010

I booked this trip at very short notice so that I could join three friends staying in central Saalbach. With few accommodation options because I was only staying Wednesday to Sunday (all the hotels here only really like Saturday to Saturday bookings!) I originally booked to stay at the Hotel Bärenbachhof (300m up the road towards Hinterglemm). But when I arrived the owner informed me that the hotel was fully booked so I was to stay at their sister hotel. I was initially hesitant but when he kindly drove me and my luggage closer into Saalbach I quickly changed my mind. And when we pulled up outside the Auwirt (50m from the Schattberg X-press lift) I started to realise how lucky I'd been. That feeling continued to grow as I went into the hotel, up to my room and saw the exceptional facilities within the building.
My room was very modern (so not for traditionalists!) and very spacious. The bed was probably one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in at a ski resort - and I've stayed at more than 50! There was loads of built-in wardrobe and cupboard space and a superb en-suite bathroom with a huge shower cubicle (rare!) and even a radio that came on with the lights!
The ski/boot room is great with lots of room and benches, heated boot racks, high security and very easy / convenient access (being down a short flight of stairs right next to the hotel entrance).
Breakfasts were excellent with attentive and friendly staff. I can't comment on the dinners as I ate with my friends at their hotel.
Internet access was important to me as I still had to do some work whilst away. The reception desk provided me with a free ethernet cable and the charge was EUR.2 per hour or EUR.7 per day - since these were accumulative prices (you only pay for the amount of time you're actually online) the EUR.7 option lasted me all four days.
Despite having limited English (but far better than my Austrian!) the staff were incredibly friendly, polite and very helpful.
I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone and intend going there again - hopefully for a longer stay next time.
Bob W.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank BobSki-UK

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2009

We stayed at the Hotel Auwirt for Christmas 2008. The hotel had been newly refurbished and we were one of the first guests since it re-opened.
The hotel furnishings are very modern and with a decent sized room and storage space for ski clothing. The bathroom was a very good size too with plenty of lighting and large shower cubicle.
Due to how Christmas Day fell in 2008 there were only a few other guests at the hotel for most of the week we were there so it did lack a little atmosphere.
While the rooms and dining area are non-smoking the bar area does allow smoking.
Food was good and plenty, as portions were quite big, and eating a 4-course meal every night, we feel, can be a bit too much. Wine can be served by the glass with your meal and jugs of tap water were readily available.
We used the sauna and steam room, while normally we don't tend to use them as usually too busy and also they say no swimming attire, as the hotel was so quiet of guests then is was really nice to use them for a change after a long day's skiing, they are located in the basement next to the ski room which is very big and heated boot racks.
The hotel is located close to the Schattberg Express gondola that we used every day rather than walk through town to go to the other lifts up to Saalbach/Leogang area. This area can be reached by a long blue run from the top of the Schattberg Express and then taking another gondola at the end of the blue run. The hotel is located on the road that runs through to Hinterglemm but there is no noise from the road/cars.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Wireless internet access is available for a small cost by use of a unique number that gives you an hours internet access as and when you want and can be used over your entire stay.
The big downside to this hotel is the nightclub in the basement, nearly all hotels in Saalbach seem to have them. Our room was located on the 3rd floor and we could hear and feel the vibrations of the music upto 5:30am. We did mention to the reception and they said they were trying to get the music right so it would improve... it did stop for a few days but that could have been more to do with no guests than anything else.
I would recommend the hotel but be wary of the nightclub and hopefully the problem with the noise has been sorted out.
We used the holiday shuttle taxi service(holiday-shuttle.at) for our tranfers from/to Salzburg airport that worked out really well.
Finally I would like to recommend Saalbach for skiing as due to the linked areas and ski buses the area of Saalbach/Hinterglemm/Leogang are linked so alot of terrain and also easy day trip to Zell am See using ski bus.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple