Hotel Alpine Palace
$196
$218
Hotel Kendler(Saalbach-Hinterglemm)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsold wingolder partthree starspa areatwo single bedsthis wonderful hotelstar sectionski liftjunior suite deluxeboot roomwolf houseserviced promptlystar facilitiesgreen lighthot tubstar roomnice toiletries
Reviewed June 28, 2013

This was my first trip to Austria. Third for my wife. The hotel looks impressive from the outside. There is quite a bit of building work going on in Hinterglem but it wasn't oppressive.
We stayed in one of the three star rooms. Functional rather than luxurious. We soon found out they were not airconditioned and for the first part of the week, as the weather was unseasonably hot we had two very uncomfortable nights. We also found out the three star wing is over the kitchen. This contributed to the stuff atmosphere inside. In fact this was the only bad point.
But mid week the weather cooled off a bit.
The main good points are both the staff and the qualit of the food on offer. The evening meals were 5 star luxury gourmet fine dining. But also nutritionally balanced and healthy. I had no idea healthy food could taste so good AND look such artistry.
Breakfast, I have never seen such a sumptous spread. I didn't know where to turn. They also did a packed lunch on request and a delicious buffet lunch for those eating in.
Particularly important for me is I have a food allergy. I am allergic to Gluten and with it's reputation for pastries, noodles and dumplings I approached the idea of a holiday in Austria with some trepidation. I need not have worried. While I couldn't have everything the food I did get was delicious and filling. Even a Gluten Free packed lunch with proper gluten free bread served. There is one for the books.
Then there are the staff. Friendly, courteous, charming. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them. I don't normally leave a tip but this time I did.
The spa facilities were the icing on the cake. My wife and I enjoyed many a wallow in the hot-tub and pools and sauna. But we didn't completely immerse ourselves, staying clear of the nude area!
One or two hints for the Hinterglem Saalbach area.

1) Plan very carefully what you want to do on Sunday. Austria is a staunch Catholic country and unlike in the UK IT DOES CLOSE on Sunday.
2) The Joker Card is a must.
3) Do your homework if coming in the summer. Most of the cable-cars to the mountains were not running.
4) The excursions we did were Salzburg, Zell am See, Kimmel Falls and, a must, Gross Glockner Mountain. But the road up is not for the feint hearted (saw numerous crosses at the sides of the road). So do an organised coach tour. At least the coach has size on its side!
5) The Postbus service is efficient and a good way of seeing the area.
6) We ate and drank locally. Can particularly recommend Vogelbeer and Haselnus Schnapps.
7) Kick back, relax, let the speed of the Alps chill you out and completely re-charge your batteries.

Room Tip: If you can afford the five star rooms go for them. Do not use one of the three star rooms if the weather forecast is hot. They have no air-conditioning and are right over the kitchen. Be careful in the spa suite. You might wander into the Nude Area!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WILLIAM1066
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed at the Alpine Palace for ten days in June on a bridge holiday (playing bridge in the evening and enjoying the many amenities in the area during the day.
We found the hotel very comfortable, with lovely rooms.
The staff were very friendly and most helpful. The food was very god (particularly the breakfast),but the service in the dining room in the evening was very slow.

Room Tip: The rooms in the adjacent Wolf Hotel are cheaper, but very comfortable and with everything required.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank 160MaryW
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Some time ago my family and I came to your hotel Alpine Palace. We want to express to you our gratitude for your warm welcome and good service. Our children were very happy and satisfied your Hotel. My husband and I also had a great time and got a lot of positive emotions. Thank you once again for the wonderful time we spent with you. Your staff were so kind to me, I do not know how to thank you. My family really enjoyed your hotel. I will recommend your hotel to my friends. My kids told me that your hotel is the best on planet earth.We want to express to you my gratitude for your warm welcome and good service.Thank you once again for the wonderful time we spent with you. I will recommend your hotel to my friends.

Room Tip: The best room
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Vikki846
Reviewed May 6, 2013

This was our 5th stay at the hotel and it is always the same GREAT! We have stayed in both sides of the hotel, old and new. All rooms are clean and the water hot which is just what you need after a days skiing. Our daughter, who is now 11 loves the pools which are both inside and outside. There are snacks for when you come off the slopes in the main area which plug a gap before dinner. The meals are of good standard and there is a menu for children if required. The breakfasts are just as filling with a massive choice. The ski lift is a 1 minute walk from the ski room and you can ski back to the hotel if you plan your route. The childrens ski school train comes straight to the door of the hotel and takes parents and children to the main nursery area which if you have to walk is about 10 minutes. All in all if you are looking for a great family hotel then this is it. If the weather is bad then you can stay at the hotel and go in the pool all day or go skiing around the circus. A great location, good food and great staff, what more do you want!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank NIGHTINGALES2012
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Beautiful hotel and great pools/spa area with relaxation rooms and beds. Bedrooms in the new part are fabulous. Restaurant great with 6 or 7 course dinners, plus kids buffet if needed. Buffet breakfast is vast and everything is fresh. Only improvement would be wifi in the bedrooms.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family