“Superb Family-run Hotel; Warm Welcome & Fine Food”
Review of Hotel Edelweiss

Hotel Edelweiss
Kuwait City, Kuwait
“Superb Family-run Hotel; Warm Welcome & Fine Food”
Reviewed March 1, 2012

We have now stayed at Hotel Edelweiss seven times since 2007 and, just back from yet another great holiday I thought I should write a review. We have had five skiing holidays and two summer vacations there and this review reflects our experience over those 45-odd nights.

Edelweiss is family-owned and it is their hospitality and professionalism that keeps us coming back. From our very first visit we have been made to feel really welcome. Herr Bauer, the owner, and Franz his son, the manager, make considerable effort to ensure everything is going OK. This often involves the preparation of special cocktails, juices and samples of new wines to taste!

After hospitality, the next reason to stay at Edelweiss is the outstanding food. It is a fine dining experience and although five course dinners are offered the portions are reasonable and so one does not feel bloated afterwards. Considerable effort is made to showcase local produce, especially in the summer. We are always amazed at the vast collection of tableware - there seems to be a special plate for every dish. If you want to eat less that is possible. When our children were small, they would often have just wiener schnitzel and desert.

Herr Bauer is a wine enthusiast and has a vast cellar of fine wines from around the world, although personally I enjoy trying the Austrian wines that are not so easy to find at home. I think he must own all the available styles of Riedel wine decanter!

The rooms are comfortable and reasonably sized. Most have quite large balconies and good views. Most rooms seem to have flat screen TVs now.

The location is excellent for skiing. It is a couple of minutes walk in ski boots to the Bergfried T bar from which you can ski down to the ski school area and the big Westgipfel and Zwolferkogel lifts. To ski on the North side of the valley, walk up to the Reiterkogel gondola takes about 5 minutes. It's not quite ski-in-ski-out but close. You can get your lift pass at the hotel.

I prefer Hinterglemm (where Edelweiss is) to Saalbach, but that is a personal preference. Saalbach is bigger and probably has more going on in the evening, but the best skiing is at the Hinterglemm end of the valley. There is a good free ski bus that will take you up and down the valley and you can ski all the way to Leogang and back. There is a footpath linking the villages and it takes about half an hour to walk (not in ski boots).

We have tried many different ways of travelling to Hinterglemm, but recently have taken to driving. If you fly to Munich I suggest you order a car to collect you as you are unlikely to use it until it is time to return. Train to Zell-am-See is another option.

If you want to relax, enjoy great Austrian food and wine, then Edelweiss is a great choice.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Richard_SW11

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Czech first
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Like last year and the year before that I was in charge of finding a good ski hotel in Austria for my family incl. 6 adults and 4 kids. This year I chose Saalbach-Hinterglimm and Hotel Edelweiss.
Out of 67 hotels it was voted 19th. It was close to the lift and it had received a lot of good reviews especially for the food. Our deal was like this:
From 11.02.2012 to 18.02.2012:
1 Double room de luxe for 2 adults and 1 child
and
1 Family room with two sleeping rooms for 2 adults and two children
and
1 Double room de luxe for 2 adults and 1 child
7 days half board for 7380.00 Euro including ski passes (6 days) for 5 adults and 3 children
So I figured I had a winner! Unfortunately this was not the case.
The standard of the hotel and the rooms as such are within the range of expectation vis-à-vis the price we paid. The food however, was way below level of expectation. Instead of 3 good dishes e.g. a soup, a main and a dessert we had to go through 5-6 dishes every night which takes far too long with kids.
Secondly, all these dishes were NOT within the capabilities of the chef. With the main there was always a choice of meat, fish or vegetarian. After having had completely overcooked fish twice we were actually down to two options. But even then – on several occasions we experienced fatal blunders from the kitchen team where the rice was undercooked. The chef tried to argument that the risotto should be crispy!?! Since when is cooking rice not a simple element in cooking?
Luckily I did find an alliance in Barry (Barry, thx for helping us through) from the kitchen team. He would normally handle “Jausen” - the afternoon hot-snacks which in general were quite good and tasty.
The breakfast was all right, (8:00-10:30) although other problem arose here. At some point I was asking for more cereal buns – around 9ish – but was told I should come down earlier in order to get those. I then pointed out that the problem would persist – just earlier each morning and how hard it could be to just order some more?
It turned out that the buns came frozen from the freezer, so basically there were no problems. Problems were just created from the staff for no apparent reason. I mean, why start an argument about buns instead of just getting some more?!? I don’t want to point fingers although I have never met a more unfriendly, inhospitable and obnoxious receptionist at any hotel before. On the rare occasions I/we would ask him something he would initially show us the white of his eyes and reluctantly deal with our request. Let me put it like this: he didn’t receive any tips on departure day…
Luckily there was cool staff as well. David – a Dutch guy – primarily handling the jausen in the afternoon was fun, accommodating and efficient. On his day off, we had to wait for ages for water. In order to – obviously – earn more, all drinks had to be ordered at the tables, which was inconvenient with a lot of thirsty kids. In many other hotels you can go and take a glass or jug of water on your own, e.g. the adjacent hotel Karawanserai which I would choose over Edelweiss on any given occasion. Its ranked 5 and really isn’t that much more expensive.
Well back to Edelweiss and the cleaning. Or should I say lack hereof!?! Wow, it was bad. Examples; Toothpaste left-overs from day one on the bathroom sink was still there on departure day!! Bed sheets were not changed at all during the week in spite of these obviously not being clean. Empty glasses were not removed, but left accumulating in the room etc. etc. All cleaning staff was it seemed eastern European. Not that I have anything against eastern Europeans, but they were probably just workers with a lack of proper training working for minimum wage, not caring about the importance of repeat customers in this line of business.
Finally I discovered that the hotel is in Hinterglimm which is sort of an add-on to Saalbach. Should I choose between Saalbach and Hinterglimm when it comes to atmosphere I would always go for the former. Never the less Saalbach is a great skiing area for both beginners and advanced skiers with a good inter connecting ski lift system and it offers a lot of powder possibilities so I would love coming back to this destination, just not back to hotel Edelweiss…

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Pallerdy
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 10, 2012

My wife and I just came back from a 1 week vacation in Saalbach-Hinterglemm and we were very pleased with our experience. The hotel is perfectly situated, just 300 meters from the main Gondola that takes you up the mountain at 2000 meters.
The food at the hotel was simply outstanding and the service was top notch.
We cannot praise this place high enought but if you go, you will not be dissapointed.
The Bauer family that runs the hotel are doing an excellent job in making you feel like priviledge guests.

I will definitively be back and I just can't wait.

Patrice from Canada

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patrice1961
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2012

The Edelweiss is in a great location in Hinterglemm, very close to the Bergfriedlift, a T bar which takes you up to join the main area.
The staff are friendly, efficient and helpful.
They're very welcoming and offer a drink when you arrive, which is a nice touch.
The hotel has a very cosy Alpine charm.
Rooms are in the traditional style and although they look as if they've been done up fairly recently, new carpet etc, they haven't gone for a modern minimalist look.
Internet connection was fine although it's a chargeable extra when most places seem to be offering it for free these days.
Food was plentiful and pretty good.
Can't comment on the wellness area or ski room as we didn't use them.
I would recommend this hotel, especially for those looking for somewhere traditional.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BathHappytraveller
Cambs
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We visited this hotel over the christmas period. On arrival there were only three other families staying so we had excellent service. The owner and concierge were waiting for us and offered a refreshing drink whilst our bags were taken to the room. Both our rooms were spacious, clean and well equipped - the children's room was particularly large at the front of the hotel with a huge balcony but we chose the other room as we wanted a bath and shower.

Breakfast was a very good buffet offering and the evening meal was a 6 course set menu however if you wish to eat of the a la carte this can be arranged - we tended to mix and match depending on what the main course was in the evening - there was always meat, fish and vegetarian options.

As previously mentioned the host is charming and bought us all manner of "unusual" drinks to try during our stay. Younger Franz was obviously on the case with the day to day running and northing was too much trouble - in fact that even helped our best friends spring a Christmas eve surprise by accommodating them for four days last minute.......

T-bar was just round the corner from the hotel and more accomplished ski-iers can ski in ski out. The hotel can also issue lift passes which is very handy.

Loads of Apres ski in the village and the night ski-ing slope is always buzzing. The location of the hotel is excellent just to one end of the village away from the revellers but close enough to walk in if you wish - about 5 mins to the main cable car up in the morning.

We last visited 21 years ago and were blown away by the investment in the resort - lots of fast chair lifts (with heated seats) very few queues and great value food available on the mountain.

Would we recommend hinterglemm? Absolutely. Would we recommend this hotel? definitely.

Only thing we would change is there needs to be free wi fi throughout the hotel. I run a small business and need to stay in touch.

Room Tip: Would suggest back of hotel as less noisy. Corner rooms have a balcony and window but not as spaciou...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank loobylooCambs
Buckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2011

This hotel is in a good location in Hinterglemm - away from the main hustle and bustle, but easy access to the slopes thanks to the small drag lift next door to the hotel. The host was a charming, if eccentric, character. I don't think English came easily to him - but every day he made an attempt to engage us in some sort of conversation and invariably brought us random glasses of wine or liqueurs --- and even one day at afternoon tea time a platter of cooked meats and bread. Very unusual - and charming! There were cakes and a savoury snack each day after skiing. Heated boot room. Pleasant (if small) sauna and steam room area. The rooms - some seem to have been updated whilst the superior room we took was a little dated ---- but scrupulously clean and with plenty of space! The food at the evening meal was superb every night. Service was very good in general --- let down only by one member of staff who didn't quite seem to have picked up on the basic training!!! Other staff though were exceptional - so the overall experience was a very good one.

I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are looking for good accommodation in a convenient location.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Edelweiss excell in almost any aspect that a hotel is examine for, but what really distinguish it from any other hotel I visited is the outmost efforts all the hotel staff is making in order to make the guest stay as pleasent as possible.
On top of that, I would mention the great 6 course dinner we had each evening and the grate location (20 steps from the closest T-bar lift, 1st and maybe 2nd week skiers need to walk 3-5 minutes to the relevant lift).

Highly recommended