“Great place to come back to after a hard day's skiing”
Review of Haus Schmidhofer

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mayrhofen
Haus Schmidhofer
Ranked #84 of 92 Mayrhofen B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 12, 2012

This was my 5th ski holiday overall but the first that wasn't entirely self-catered, so it was a novel experience. The meals were hearty and tasty. On arrival at 9pm after a fairly long day of travelling from London, we were greeted warmly by Rob and Lorrian, with a bowl of soup followed by a main meal of beef stew. That set the tone for the rest of the week: good food, comfortable accommodation and friendly hosts. Everything you would expect from that price bracket - and done well. I would definitely stay again. In terms of the location, it was the first time I've not been able to ski straight to a lift, but I was surprised to find that it wasn't as annoying as I thought it would be. The 10-15 minute walks in the morning were a good chance to warm up the legs, body and mind. We also used the train service to access other resorts on 2 of the days, which was well worth the effort. I can particularly recommend Kaltenbach which had a fun home run (for the more confident skiers and snowboarders) but also great wide open pistes and an excellent restaurant (Kristallhutte).

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank tom l

Reviewed September 12, 2010

We knew that Haus Luxus was some way out of Mayrhofen but to be fair the owners really made that clear at every opportunity - so that was an inconvenience, not a surprise. Equally Haus Luxus did most things reasonably OK - to the standard you would expect. We stayed as part of a big group and the one thing that would really put me off recommending this place were the arguments and bickering that went on. Behind closed doors and sometimes in public there were often raised voices, mainly from the owner Rob, I think. Not directed at me but not the atmosphere I was hoping for.

• Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank Mark-and-Jemma
Reviewed March 28, 2010

For the most part we were a group of adults, but we also took two small children with us. Rob and Lily worked so hard to make sure everyone felt welcome and were catered for appropriately - even offering two mealtimes a couple of times in the week,so the adults could enjoy a child-free evening. The meals were hearty and well-prepared (particularly the curry!) and accompanied by very gwaffable wine :)

The rooms were spacious and clean, with some fantastic personal touches. The communal areas were also clean and well-maintained nicelyblending modern and tradition.

Although the house isn't central to Mayrhofen, the ski bus stop is only a couple of minutes' walk, as is a well-stocked supermarket, with useful lunch restaurant. To walk to town takes only 15 minutes. Despite sitting on the balcony most afternoons after skiing, and sleeping at the front of the house, we barely noticed the road.

We had a great time and will certainly stay again when we go back to Mayrhofen.

• Stayed: March 2010
Reviewed February 22, 2010

Nine of us (all adults) have just returned from a week staying at Haus Luxus and had a very enjoyable time.

Having booked everything via the internet, you're always a bit nervous as you're not sure if you've missed anything, but thankfully Haus Luxus exceeded our expectations. The food was excellent - especially Rob's homemade cakes and bread - and there was also plenty of it. This was the same for the wine with dinner and cheese board, which were always very welcome! The rooms are comfortable and clean, as are the shared bathrooms and communual areas. Rob and Lilli are both very friendly and helpful and nothing was too much bother. Even the cost of beers in (€1.50 for a large can) was good value!

Location wise, it is on the edge of town but this suited us fine as the 10-15 minutes walk to the two main lifts gaves us a chance to stretch our legs. When we couldn't be bothered to walk, Mayrhofn's taxi service was also quick and good value (approx €1.50 per person) if we disn't fancy the walk or had over done it on the Apres Ski! Again, Rob and Lilli were more than happy to arrange these although it was easy enough to sort out ourselves too!

All in all, a nice friendly place to stay and we felt it was excellent value for money!

As a ski resort, Mayrhofen is very good too. Some of our party had lessons which were good, the pistes and mountain facilities are very well kept (toilets are very clean, which is also nice) and the choice of Bar's and restaurants both on and off the mountain are excellent - and you dont feel like you are being ripped off, unlike in France!

On the mountain, Spaghetti Bolognaise was about €8.00, a large beer about €4.00 and a coffee about €2.50. In the town, beer was a little cheaper (about €3.00 for 1/3 litre) as was food.

The internet is a glorious thing in that it allows you to stay at places you'd never usually experience. This was the case with haus Luxus.

Thanks Rob and Lilli for a great week! We'll be back!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pauldulieu
Reviewed March 15, 2009

This was 2 star accommodation and services at 4 star prices. This feeling was compounded by the fact that the owner/manager had friends to stay for the first half of the week, giving the only 4 paying guests the notable impression that we were in the way. At the end of the week I left feeling that we had been viewed as an inconvenience.

The following example is indicative of the owner/manager's business/service style. The coffee percolator stopped working and after several meals and no sign of a replacement, I asked if he had any plans of replacing it, to be asked if I expected him to go all the way into Innsbruck to do it ! He then offered me a jar of his girlfriend's instant coffee as a substitute. Not really what I would expect for Euros 620 pp/pw! (There was an electrical appliance shop 150m down the road offereng a similar model for sale for Euros 20.) He did replace the broken percolator that evening but I doubt he would have if I had not commented.

The food was a good 2 star standard and the dvd collection was excellent.

Overall, of the 7 catered chalets I have stayed in , in a similar price range, this offered, for me, the worst value for money and had the least convivial atmosphere.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank meglet_4
hausluxus, Owner, manager at Haus Schmidhofer, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2009

This is how I saw the week they stayed.
We do not normally offer any food or catering for infants, under 2 years, as stated in our emails and on our website. The first thing on their arrival they gave us the orders for infants eating arrangements. The early meals for the infant were done with no extra cost or complaints. Cooking a full identical meal as the adults. The fresh daily baked cake was eaten completely buy the four of them, enough cake for 10 persons. When the other PAYING guests, that were by chance my friends, had no chance to eat any of the cake. As for the food being sub standard, the group of 4 ate enough for what would have been enough at any other week for 6 persons, of which I pushed the portions up, as they ate everything that was put in front of them. Had the food been so unappealing this would have not been eaten.
As for my friends, the other guests. The other guests were paying, whether they were friends of mine or not, they only stayed for the evening meal once, even though they had paid for the pleasure of the meals. They themselves were only even staying for only 4 nights.
Yes the coffee machine did break, on a Sunday. Therefore one could not be purchased before Monday breakfast. A new machine was in place for the next available time for coffee, afternoon tea and coffee. It was only speculation that I was not going to replace the machine. I knew the machine was broken and they questioned it again at a time it could not be replaced. The facts are it was replaced for the next convenient time, being asked to or not.
To say that we treated them as an inconvenience was rubbish, Ami took them personally to the hire shop, the ski school office and even to go personal shopping for equipment, almost to the time of her to starting work again. My friends were only there for half of the week and only ate once with them. I was sent to the ski school for the discount on their lessons for the best part of afternoon in my own time, only to be a waste of time,
Our prices are very competitive with our rivals within our league. For a fact I know that we offer more than they do, with our house facilities - TV, DVD, Stereo in each room. Sky TV, DVD, Internet computer in the lounge. As with the added extras of pre dinner drinks and after dinner schnapps. The price they paid was for half term week, a more expensive time of the season. Had they booked anywhere else at this time, the price would have possibly been even more with our level competitors, catered – cooked breakfast, 4 course meal + wine. The issue of the exchange rate, between the euro and the pound, pushing the price up for people being paid in pounds is not my in my control, but the week was discounted for that fact, that I may get English guests in the house.
Whatever their expectations of their holiday, we gave no misleading information, all the photographs of the rooms with descriptions, the weekly menu, location were all on the website. I understand you can not please all of the people all of the time, but perhaps if they had been able to please themselves, they would have had a better stay. My only advise for them would be to smile once in a while and try to enjoy some of the challenges they wish to undertake.
Haus Luxus

Reviewed February 12, 2009

Five of us stayed at Haus Luxus for a ski weekend. Rob and ami were welcoming and hospitable. The food provided was excellent and the general facilities (lounge, dining, ski room) first class.

Happily for us the chalet was not at full capacity as that could put some pressure on the bathrooms.

The location of the chalet means you need to either have a car or rely on the excellent ski buses to and from the resort or slopes. For evening entertainment you need taxis but these are relatively abundant and not too expensive especially in a group. On the up side the chalet is in a quiet area as Austrian apres ski is very noisy!

I would heartily recommend Haus Luxus to anyone looking for good quality catered ski accommodation in a great ski resort. Mayrhofen is far more accessible by road than most French/Italian ski resorts and was less than 2 hours from munich airport.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 27, 2008

Had a magnificent stay at Haus Luxus, Rob (owner) organised everything so that when we arrived we could get up on the Hintertux glacier as soon as possible.

They even waited up for us to arrive from our late flights and had some food and beer ready! (Cheers Ami)

Friendly, clean, relaxed and up for a laugh. I would definitely come again. Food was nice as well.

We had a good laugh while we were there and were made to feel more than just guests. Oh, and town isn't that far away to walk - ask for the short cut.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)