“A welcome break in the Austrian Tyrol”

Hotel Garni Obermair
Ranked #23 of 38 Hotels in Mayrhofen
Frome, United Kingdom
“A welcome break in the Austrian Tyrol”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed at this hotel some time ago, on a quick break following a particularly busy period. I booked at the last minute, and stayed alone, which was a new experience, but still really lovely.

Positives
- The manageress here is just wonderful. On one day I slept late, and she actually brought some breakfast up to my room as I'd missed it in the dining room. They've got the balance between family run and small business just right.
- The hotel is really well located. It's only a short walk into town, and a short walk to the cable car which takes you up the mountain. It is next door to a fuel station, but I didn't notice any noise and it's open longer hours than most other shops.
- The hotel was very clean and tidy, with my room being clean, bright with lovely crisp sheets.
- The hotel is only a stroll from the train station with connecting trains to Jenbach and further to Salzburg - the sight of a steam train rolling into the valley is a really very special one indeed.

Negatives
- One thing that I hadn't realised was that Austria in the spring seems to be full of elderly people. I hadn't been expecting an 18/30 holiday, but I was surprised to find myself one of the youngest in town.

Overall
I loved my stay here, and remember it very fondly. I don't tend to go anywhere twice, but I'd certainly consider returning to this charming little place.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank SamPhripp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Back from Austria on 29th August and waited a few days to write a review (to allow time to reflect). This was our (my wife & I) 5th or 6th time in Austria and our 2nd time in Mayrhofen - and by far the best yet... I dont say this lightly because 1) up to a few days before we travelled we were not sure if we were going to travel at all cos herself was having trouble with ber back & her left leg (turned out to be a slipped disc trapping the siatic nerve)...... and 2) on the way to the airport my wifes case was stolen - and there is no need to go into that. Anyway we decided to buy a fishermans rucsac (in Argos) which has a 'pull-out' stool attached and go on the holiday - the stool allowed my wife to sit and rest wherever & whenever!!!!
So we got there... We went half-board having breakfast at the Obermair and going to the Kramerwirt hotel for evening meals. We definately can say that the food was the best we have had yet. Breakfast at the Obermair included; cereals, fried/boiled eggs, fried bacon, natural yougart, bananas,strawberries, melon, pineapple, blueberries, brown & white breads & rolls, selection of hams, cheese, cucumber,tomatoes, peppers, pate, jams and honey... and I even had a fillet of fish one morning!!!!!! Ok - like others reviewers said the rooms may have been basic but we were not there to spend 14 days in our room and towels etc were changed every day. The evening meals at the Kramerwirt were probably better - there was a beautiful salad buffet, delicious soups and fab dinners every night eg roast duck, fish, turkey, rump steak, pork, a delightful Itilian buffet (twice in the 14 nights), chicken, roast beef etc. The stafff in both hotels were great but especially Tina in the Kramerwirt who, apart from been pleasent and friendly also remembered some of the simple but important things.
As I said this was our 2nd time in Mayrhofen and it really is a beautiful place..as are all the villages nearby. Although herself was very limited regarding the walking that she could do it is so easy to travel between villages - especially with a Z card (see other reviews). The buses, train and cable cars can get you to heaven easily. On the mountains there are easy level paths or more challenging ones depending on ones choice/fitness/abilites. The pleasure and peace that can be found at heights of between 5000ft and 7000ft cannot be explained - doesnt matter if its watching paragliders, listening to the bells on the cows, watching others walking & climbing, having a pint of beer/buttermilk/ or coffee (this may be hard to believe but I had a coffee and my wife had a glass of fresh milk at a total cost of 1.00 euro at a 'hut') or simply taking in the fresh air as you listen to 'the silence'. I would strongly recommend Austria, Mayrhofen and the Obermair... go on ..book now..you wont regret it... If you want to see photos I will be uploading some to Flickr over the next few days

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank BobCowman
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I found the reviews of this hotel so useful before I booked our holiday & read the most up-to-date reviews before we went that I thought it only right to add a few things myself although I will try not to repeat too much from previous reviews!

The hotel itself was as expected - not fantanstic but perfectly adequate - what can you expect for the cheapest hotel in the brochure & it did have a fantastic breakfast & a small pool which our kids loved. Previous reviews have mentioned the sauna area but I don't think any of them did it justice - I am not really into that sort of thing so we only had 1 sauna but there are two different types of sauna, a herbal steam room & fantastic showers and they must be really new as it was all lovely. All you have to do is ask & they will put it on for you (after 4pm!). Having read previous reviews, I knew that rooms higher up in the annexe were better so was disapointed to be allocated 2 rooms on the ground floor. We waited about 4 hours before unpacking for Frau Obermair to come back (found out later from another guest that she goes up to the restaurant they own at the Zillergrund Dam & cooks all day before coming back to the Obermair) - she could offer us one room upstairs but not two & as we were travelling with our 13 & 11 year old children, we decided to stay put. On the plus side, we had originally booked a single room & a triple room as that was the cheapest way to do it but we were given a twin & a triple so the children could share & we could have a little peace!!

Mayrhofen itself was brilliant - good for all ages I think. Our children had pretty much outgrown the several great play areas but there was a wooden "waterworld" (can't think how to describe it but with wooden channels & water to flow down a hill - our 13 year old got a bit bored after a while but our 11 year old could have stayed there all day!) set in the woods right by the new leisure area comprising of an astroturf pitch, 100m running track, long jump, basketball & volleyball courts, play area & skate park. All new & beautifully kept.

I wasn't well for the first week & my daughter sprained her ankle the second week so we were not as active as we would have liked to be but we bought the Zillertal Activ card which was an absolute bargain for us as a family. For 12 days, it was EUR92.5 each for us parents & children between the ages of 6 - 15 were free with 2 adults. So for EUR185 (plus 8EUR deposit for the cards which you can get back just by putting the cards in a machine by the Penkenbahn lift when you have finished with them), we got 12 days use of all buses, trains (except steam train), all 11 cable cars in the valley & all 6 outdoor swimming pools in the valley. So when one or a few of us weren't fit, we could get a bus or train to a cable car, go up the mountain, wander round, have something to eat or drink & come back down, usually followed by a trip to an outdoor pool as it was extremely HOT during the time we were there! We used 9 of the cable cars & 4 of the pools - the pool at Finkenberg was fine but quite small but our kids loved the pools at Mayrhofen, Zell am Ziller & Fugen. There is only 1 lifeguard at each pool & the atomosphere was very laid back so our two could go down the slides pretty much any way they wanted which they loved! And to be fair, we never saw any accidents so it all works well.

If you stay at the hotel with Thomson, the Kettler road bikes are free to hire. They are fairly basic but have 7 gears which was perfectly adequate for the 7km cycle we took to Zell am Ziller. That was a really good place to cycle to as the cable car is a good mile away from the train station/bus stop & it would have felt considerably further than that in the heat we had! So we cycled there (borrowed helmets for free & was slightly freaked out to be told we didn't need cycle locks but it was true - we left the bikes at the cable car & swimming pool for ages & they were still there when we got back!!). The cable car was great & at the top, we found a lovely stream to have a picnic by. However, it was at the bottom of the cable car that our kids were attracted to! There was a great play area, summer toboggan (a bit like an individual roller coaster but you have control over how fast you go as there is a brake - EUR4.5 for adults & EUR2.7 for children). There was also a "bagjump" - like a huge square bouncy castle which you can jump off a platform onto. Only EUR3 for 5 jumps - our 11 year old was a little nervous but did all 5 jumps & our 13 year old was pretty fearless!

Eating out in Mayrhofen is expensive. Mo's on a corner of the main street was pretty reasonable & the pizza's were lovely. Towards the end of the holiday, we got into the habit of going out for the day & coming back between 3-5pm & going to what we called "the hot meat place" opposite the Penkenbahn lift. It sold a variety of sandwiches, soups, salads & my husband liked the half-chicken. They also sold chips/potato wedges so you could be adventurous or not. This was much more reasonable than eating out & then we just got a few bits from the supermarket for a supper later on.

If you go with Thomson or Crystal, there is a Crystal office right by the Penkenbahn lift which can be useful for asking advice or a weather update!

I'm sure there is more I could say but I will leave it at that - overall, we had a great family holiday & the Obermair was a good & relatively cheap base to stay.

Room Tip: I believe that the rooms higher up are better - more difficult to achieve if you need more than 1 ro...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank 6720S
Co Durham
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed at the Obermair from the 30/6/12-14/07/2012. We had another excellant holiday. The Obermair family and staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were kept very clean, towels changed daily and bed linen regularly changed. The food at breakfast was delicious, lots of choice with fruit,yoghurts, continental cheeses and meats and a cooked eggs and bacon choice every morning with as much tea and coffee as you could drink. We ate our evening meal at the krammerwirt every night and that again was excellant. We would recommend this Hotel to anyone wanting a mountain holiday and definitely would book again. The free excursion to the Zillergrund was once again excellant and the food at the restaurant there was very good.

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony and views of the valley worth extra cost
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank GillCoDurham
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2012

4th visit to Meyrhofen and the first using a hotel. Read the reviews and
wasn't sure what to expect. As per most of the reviews we were placed in the annexe(the original hotel). The room was larger than we thought and an all round balcony (room 8) was great for drying/airing our walking clothes. the breakfast was plentiful and varied (daily fresh fruit at least 3 varieties), best choice of breads and some of the best croissants we have ever had, fried/scrammbled eggs/boiled eggs every day, with hot meat/sausage, cold meats/cheeses, fruit juice x 2, tea/coffe choice between 7.30 and 10 daily. Swimming pool was accessible every day and was always warm (we took our own towels), the sauna/steam room wasn't working (were told you might have to ask for - didn't).
Towels were changed everyday and sheets every couple of days. The bathroom was cleaned every day, but not sure how often the room was cleaned! Free safe in the wardrobe.
The owners also own the petrol station, car hire(told very expensive) and cycle hire(only one other place renting). We rented basic bikes (Kepplers - 7/8 gear) and rode the river/rail route to just outside Jenbach(45Km). The saddles were hard going(to soft), but the bikes were in good condition and more than adequate for the ride. Should have been Euro12, less 2 for staying at the hotel. The same bike elsewhere is Euro15, top range bike can cost Euro 50 for a day. Staff were all friendly and very helpful. 5 minute walk to the railway station a little more to the cablecars. Would recommend. Good value for what you get.

Room Tip: Room 8 annexe the balcony runs right round 2 sides of the room and you have a full of the mountains
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Lincoln_PETE7904
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2012

A surprise package is the Obermair it stands on the edge of the town in pleasant gardens, do not be put off by the Petrol station out front, this in no way spoils the overall outlook of the hotel.
In fact it is owned by the same family as does the car and bike hire business as the hotel.

This is a family run hotel not a chain hotel so be aware that the standards though very good are not on a par with other 4/5 star hotels that you may be used to, no white fluffy towels here.

We had a room in the annexe as do all package guests. no lift in the annexe and 31 stairs up to the third floor, (If you have a medical problem or difficlty in using the stairs then ask and they will put you in the main hotel, which does have a lift.) The room was spacious usual Austrian beds with single duvets and fluffy pillows ( ask for spares), plenty of storage space and hangers, a safe in the wardrobe also.
Table and chairs ( what more do you need.)The TV at the time only recieved local cable staions.
Large shared balcony with views to die for ( unfortunately it fronted out onto the main road, but this is no problem as you watch the world go by.)

The bathroom and shower are dated but clean, towels are home washed and dried so can be a bit rough, so if this is a problem take you own, soap was not supplied but there was satches of shower gels.
Plenty of hot water at night but in the morning you may have to wait,(they had problems with water pumps so this may be resolved now).Room is cleaned every day and the towels are changed every day also.

The hotel has no bar or restaurant (only breakfast area).
Breakfast was a feast, cooked bacon and eggs, loads and loads of fruit,cake,cereals bread, meat and cheeses, tea/coffee served in silver pots, if you walked out feeling hungry then it is your fault.

There is a fantastic indoor swimming pool,heated to 30degress like getting into a bath
and downstairs there is a sauna suite brand spanking new, I think you have to book it and there where no charge notices so ask before you use.
The week we stayed we had the pool all to ourselves, as everyone was up them hills.
Plenty of outdoor space and plenty of seats,benches,swings to sit and soak the sun and views on in the garden.

We where on half board basis with meals taken at the Hotel Kramerwirt, 5 mins walk away, the food was we thought special, well presented and cooked, with themed buffet evenings, salad bar.
Choice of two main courses, one being vegetarian, tip for thie wise, if you do not like the choices ask what is on the hotel menu, as they do differ considerably.
Beer and wine are expensive as this is a four star hotel.
Also the hotel has a greater range of information booklets,maps etc and if you forgot yor walking sticks then you can borrow from there, just replace when you leave.

I can honestly say that we where well fed, though I sometimes thought we where second class guests, stuck out of the way in our little cubbby hole, the manageress of the Kramerwirt though friendly was not on our side.

Back at the Obermair, there are no leaflets are maps at the reception you will need to go to the tourist information centre situated 2 mins walk away.

At the hotel, on arrival you will be given a leaflet for a FREE trip to the dam, and vouchers for 6 euros off a meal/drink /sandwich what ever at the only restaurant (owned by guess who)
You will need the vouchers for the bus else you will have to pay the road toll of 1 euro.
The bus you gan get at the train station and takes 50mins to reach the dam,you need to write your name on the voucher and give back to the driver on your return, this is a dead end road, though you can walk back out of the valley if you are really keen.It is an impressive sight and if you have no head for heights then do not look down.

The bus voucher has the times for the return journey, you can only use these buses any others and you may have to pay 20euros each.
If you do not recieve the leaflet/vouchers then ask as it really is a good day out.

Travel companies are not allowd to sell the cable car pass you have to buy it yoursel from the cable car station (you can pay by credit/debit card here no other outlet allows you ). Price was 53 euros each, expensive you may say, but do not forget this gets you on 11 cable cars in the valley, on all buses and trains in the valley (except the steam train), so you could easily rack up a small fortune in fares, return fare on the cable car is 15 euros per person and similar on trains and buses.
Tip for you, take the train to the end of the line (Jenback) change here for Innsbruck and it will only cost you approx 9 euros ( the travel firms charge £19) the bus to Hintertux Glacier is free as is the summer lift ( travel firms will charge you £10 each plus the cable car) oh to get to the very very top of the glacier be prepared to folk out an extra 20 euros for the other cable car not worth it unless you are planning to ski up there, which you can all year round).
So the Activ Card is well worth the 53 euro each .

The main gondola in town is scarey as it rises up steeply with no pylons and once over the first hill it rises even steeper so if like me this worries you then sit on the floor andf look at the sky.

Most of the walks at the top are very well used, most take 2/3 hours of steady walks, either round robin walks are walk back down to town, well marked and sign posted, all except one, which you may find out about (Route 2).

Mayrhofen is a busy town, plenty of bars and clubs, loads of ice cream shopsand too many restaurants to name.
Main street is packed with shops, the Spar supermarket is here, the cable car station is found here also, though get off the main drag and explore the side streets they are quieter and the ice cream is cheaper and better.

The train station is approx 5 mins outside of town, this is where all the buses go from also the train runs every 30 mins, show your Activ ticket to the guard no charge. same on the bus show the driver and grab a seat, you will save a lot of money.

Unfortunately you are only allowed one accent and one decent pwer day on the cable cars, but if you plan you day well using the maps (free or paid ones) then you can get the very most out of the pass, as some cable cars require two accents, but only count as one?
Take ID with you when you buy the card as your name and id number will be printed on, so you cant sell it on are transfer it to some one else, that is the theory, but we wherer never checked.

I cannot praise the Obermair highly enough, it is a simple family run hotel with every thing and more you would want, it is not pretentious, you are left alone to do your own thing but help is at hand if you need it.

Enjoy your stay and find out for yourself what the hotel is all aboy.

Room Tip: The annexe is fine try for the third floor at the front, as the view is fantastic (room 15)Do'nt...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Philip W
Sleaford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We have recently returned from a stay at the Obermair in Mayrhofen. We stayed for a week on a bed and breakfast basis, and the rooms were basic and evidently hadn't been maintained for several years- we were in the annex. For example, the towels were like cardboard, the bath mat was discoloured and the sink had a huge crack in it. Also, the lock kept falling off the toliet door, and the mattresses were rock hard!

The owner's wife was especially nice and basically looked after all of the customers single handedly. Also, her son installed new tvs in our rooms as the analogue tvs already installed had no signal. However, they failed to fix the leak in the sink after we had informed them on the first day. We appreciate that the hotel is a budget hotel and have stayed in many similar establishments but we found this annex to be the least well maintained of all of them.

The breakfasts were okay - a better selection than we have had in other Austrian hotels with hot eggs, bacon, toasts, croissants, fruit, bread, cheese, ham, yoghurt, cereals, etc. However, you had to be there at the right time as the food was often not replenished as the owner's wife served on her own at breakfast and was often busy

We found out towards the end of the week that we could hire bikes for free - this was an added bonus that we wish we had known about earlier in the week! The swimming pool was nice and clean but there was no changing area, and the lights weren't always on. There is also an outdoor area with a swing, but we did not allow our daughter to play there because it was surrounded by large pieces of wood and metal. Not very safe!
We have read in other reviews that the location was an issue for other guests. However, we only found it to be a short walk to the town centre, and had a nice view from our windows.

We were on a bed and breakfast basis and must say that although we have been to Austria 14 times (3 previous times to Mayrfofen all half board), we found Mayrhofen to be very expensive for eating out. In fact we were shocked that it was cheaper to eat up the top of the Penken mountain and Hintertux than eating in the valley for a like for like meal. Also, we found it difficult to find child friendly restaurants - we were with our 3 year old daughter. Some restaurants did not offer child friendly portions and would only take 1 euro off the price of an adult meal for a smaller portion. On the first night we went to the Cafe Edelweiss - this was one of the only ones open! We would recommend rthat you ask to check your bill before paying as the waitress was reluctant to show us the bill and merely told us an amount. We asked to see the bill as we thought it was too expensive and we noticed that we had been charged for too many drinks! Not sure if this was a genuine mistake or not but would advise caution!

Later in the week we found a very good restaurant called the Tiroler Stube - it offered great service and was very child friendly! Wish we'd found it earlier in the week!

All in all, if you are prepared for a low budget experience, then book the annex at the Obermair. However, you may wish to consider staying in the main hotel and pay slightly more if you want a little more luxury! On reflection we won't be staying bed and breakfast again and will revert to half board as it seems to be better value!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 1st or second floors as these are quiter and not by facing the petrol stati...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family