“Good food, pleasant hotel, above average.”

Alpendomizil Neuhaus
Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in Mayrhofen
UK
“Good food, pleasant hotel, above average.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

We spent a week here, travelling with Crystal. Our room was good, spacious and clean. The food was pretty good on half board basis. The breakfasts were impressive by European standards. My biggest gripe was that our waiter wouldn't let us have table water. Instead, we were 'forced' to pay €2.70 for a 330ml bottle of water. When I asked why other tables had table water, he said it was because they were drinking wine. Seems like a stupid rule to me, and not very plausible.

• Stayed March 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Polish first
Middle England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

I stayed in the Landhuas annex (part of the Alpendomizil Neuhaus) in a single room. The annex is a short walk across the road from the main hotel. The room was a decent size and had plenty of storage and a large balcony. Previous reviews have suggested the annex has been renovated. I would disagree with this. The room had clearly been redecorated and had new soft furnishings but the furniture and bathroom fittings were not new, having said this, the room and bathroom was very clean and always serviced well each day. The bed was comfortable. I think they changed the towels most days whether you requested this or not. There was an old style CRT TV in the room but expect mainly German speaking channels not that I spent anytime watching it. The back of the annex does face onto a cattle barn so be prepared to hear some noise early morning and smell too if you have the window open, however it was not a problem. There is ski and boot storage in the annex on the ground floor. This has boot dryers and ski racks but no servicing benches. I did have some concern that this seemed to be left unlocked day and night, however nothing went missing during the week.

The main hotel is pleasant and comfortable. Breakfast was a good with a selection from cooked eggs to cereals and fresh fruit, large bowls of yoghurt etc. There was one morning when the fruit yoghurt had gone off. The evening meals were OK with enough choice to suit most tastes, but expect some unusual combinations on the menu. Mains were always served at the table along with the soups, the salads were self serve. Staff were efficient and polite but became noticeably more friendly at the end of the week (hoping for tips I guess). The house wine was drinkable and reasonable price. There were newspapers available (including a British paper) to read in bar area. One criticism I had was the availability of free wifi. In an age where many hotels offer this free, at least in public areas. The Alpendomizil charges the prices the hotel were quoting seemed expensive. My advice is go to one of the many bars in the town that offer free wifi and hook up there.

The Hotel has a good location at the bottom end of town and easy walk (even in ski boots) to the bus and train station. This gives easy access to the transport links that take you to the alternative (and in my opinion better) ski areas of the glacier and down the valley to Ziller and Kaltenbach, as well as a base to explore the wider area. If using the Penken gondola then the bus stop for the local bus was even closer. I have been told that plans are in place to build a new large capacity uplift for the Penken for 2015 and this is to be located close to the train station.

Having stayed at both ends of the town my preference is to stay at the bottom of the town near to be near the bahnhof and I would certainly consider returning to the Landhaus annex as an option for clean comfortable if a basic accommodation.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Snowball19
Hinterbruhl, Austria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

We booked this hotel direct and found them swift and easy to deal with. Booking was simple and we opted for the half board as the dinner cost only 11 Euros - a bargain! Our room was spacious and clean, overlooking the outdoor pool (closed during the skiing season). The breakfast was great - so much choice and eggs cooked to order. Every member of staff we encountered was helpful and pleasant.

The half board option comprised a choice of starter (self-service), salad (self-service), soup and choice of main course (served) and pudding/cheese - sometimes self-service, sometimes served. We found this was too much to eat and whilst the atmosphere of the restaurant was fine for breakfast, it was not suitable for dinner. We quickly changed to B&B and ate out. The hotel has other restaurant areas but these were only available to those eating a la carte - a pity!

The sauna was great, pool fine, the jacuzzi a little on the cold side but always clean and lovely power showers.

It has a perfect location near all the ski buses and of course, the centre of town.

We would stay there again happily.

Room Tip: We had 221 - lovely balcony overlooking the pool and away from road noise.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sissy55
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

Apartments Neuhaus is a set of flats all within a converted chalet-style building.

The apartments: We stayed in a 3 person flat. The flat was clean and generally newly renovated. Appliances were good but a couple of items we found plain odd.
1. No kettle - we had to go and ask for one at the main Neuhaus hotel reception, where one was duly supplied.
2. There is no phone connecting the apartment to the reception. So if you want anything you had to trek outside across a street to request anything.
3. Cutlery: There was only 3 of anything i.e. 3 x forks, 3 plates, 3 glasses. You get my drift. This was tedious as if you cooked a 3 course meal, during the meal you'd be washing up!!!

Downsides:
1. There is no taking out of the rubbish during the entire stay. We had no idea were to leave the rubbish until it emerged that we had to empty rubbish to some bins next to a barn. Annoyingly these rubbish bins only emerged haphazardly at random times.
2. They gave you 1 toilet roll, you are expected to supply the rest - this is not apparent to you at the time of booking.

Service:
Apart from the distinct lack of service to the flat, we had some confusion with a booking. Instead of addressing the situation professionally the woman at the reception ended up shouting at two of us accusing us of making the mistake. We are in the process of getting this resolved but regardless of who made the mistake, as a hotelier, you should NEVER shout at guests. We did not aggressively approach her, in fact we were trying to book a spa treatment- next thing you know some angry Austrian woman is shouting at you.
They need to sort out their attitude!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Gourmet Adventu... T
Stanley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

We booked in the Landhaus annexe to the main Neuhaus hotel for a weeks skiing in March 2012. The staff were very helpful with usual Austrian politeness. Food was a good selection but not large portions. The spa and swiming pool was lovely and the situation of the Hotel was perfect. Only 100metres from the railway station, great for away days skiing to Kaltenbach etc. and connections to Jenbach and Innsbruck. On the downside the annexe called the Landhaus is looking a bit dated and tired. We stayed in a large quad room and it was very spacious but it was definitely 2*. Took me many nights before I found a pillow combination that was slightly comfortable. Worst I've ever lay my head on. If I was coming back I would bring my own. It was fairly good value for money though. We booked through Crystal Ski and found the reps very friendly and helpful. Their ski guiding especially good.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank a w
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

Having spent a large proportion of my ski time around Austria I feel that the hotel is rather good. The major downside is the hill up to both the Penken and Ahorn lifts, however this is easily bridged by a journey in the ski bus and there are ski depots at the bottom of the Penken lift. The hotel itself was clean and the annex was clearly advertised (I can see from past reviews this is not always the case) and I was happy to be there. All the facilities in terms of the main guests, with a smaller and less luxurious room.

The staff were superb and, barring a small hiccup with the staffing levels one evening, swift. The room was always clean when I returned in an afternoon and the views were good.

There was some room for improvement, the single bed was sort of enclosed and being 6 foot this could become uncomfortable when stretching but had a low impact on my actual sleep.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Steve D
norfolk uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

I new that my accomadation was in the annex some 50 metres from the main hotel and didnt have a problem with that as I was already aware of it. The room was very tiny and as I am only 5feet 6 inch, the bed was only just large enough. If you are bigger, you will have a problem. The biggest problem was the smell from the Cow/pig shed less that 15 metres away with a huge pile of rotting [--], so I could not leave the balcony door open, especially as the room was hot. I would have liked to sit outside, to have a drink, but that was not possible due to the stink. The smell was even noticeable from the main hotel entrance, when I must arrived, and when questioned the Chrystal rep was told that the town was stil la farming town and brushed of the answer. So, be warned do not stay in the annex.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo