“it doesn't get better than this!”

and 1 more site!
Alpin Hotel Garni Eder
Ranked #1 of 92 Mayrhofen B&B and Inns
Durham, United Kingdom
“it doesn't get better than this!”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

i don't write reviews on anything unless extraordinarily bad or extraordinarily good, and our stay here was extraordinarily good! i'll not bother going into detail, just read the other reviews, but as stated in my review title,"it doesn't get better than this!"

4 Thank carl s

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had a really wonderful week in this gem of a hotel (Jan 13). The rooms are great, spacious and warm, also fairly spacious bathrooms. Christine and Markus are so friendly and good fun, they made us feel extremely welcome. The hotel is small, very stylish with nice touches throughout, plus a lovely breakfast selection - and only a short walk from the lovely town and main Penken lift. We will definitely return - Mayrhofen is a great resort.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Philippa B
Newcastle
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Not really sure what I can say in addition to other peoples comments. The hosts were amazing warm friendly and genuine. The hotel is in a quiet area but a short walk from the centre. Handy for both penken and ahorn and ski bus stop from which you can reach the train station for the resorts further along the valley. Our room was imaculate with clean modern furnishings and most importantly plenty of hot water. Overall the best place I have stayed in Mayrhofen.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I intend to write a full review this time as I felt there was not enough information from others but I understand this is probably because most people are usually bound to one activity or another when they visit. Because we had a range of activities as a family this might be useful to others.

My Husband, son and me stayed here for 1 week on a bed and breakfast basis week beginning 12th January through Crystal. We were met by Christine and Markus who had already been very helpful and responsive through e-mail communication. On arrival a there was schnapps and a very warn welcome so that I felt we had already met.

They ensured we had a room more than adequate for our needs...my son being 14 had some of his own space in the 3 roomed suite which was very much appreciated and the balcony view was superb! The shower/toilet was adequate for our needs and the shower was good with plenty of hot water at all times.The whole hotel is very calmly and tastefully decorated and has more of an Austrian/Scandinavian boutique hotel feel than the usual outdated 70's feel I have found in some others!

My son and husband used all of the area to snowboard intensively over the duration of the holiday and recommend the area for it's extensive and varied range of ski area for all abilities and tastes. Passes were reasonably priced and you can buy a whole area pass. Because of the distance to catch up with others on a Maverix snowboard course Christine or Markus arranged for a taxi reliably each morning but this was mainly for convenience and a very early start, the ski buses run reliably and the stop is just at the bottom of the road.

For those who enjoy apres ski it is probably one of the best resorts but equally the hotel is situated only a short distance out of town and offered peace and quite for those who enjoy this also. There are 2 supermarkets and plenty of restaurants to eat for all tastes both lively and relaxed and prices are reasonable in all.

I spent time walking, eating and traveling by train and bus around the area and all of the transport links were reliable and well priced. You can take a train directly from Mayrhofen to Jenbach which is a lovely journey in it's self. From there you can pretty much travel anywhere in Austria including easy day trips into Innsbruck.

I visited Auchansee (bus connection only in winter/steam train in summer) which was the most beautiful trip in a lovely scenic and quiet area. On another day Makus recommended I took the train from Mayrhofen to Zell am Ziller and walk back. I did and walked back on the inside track of the river...it was easy, flat, beautiful and all along the way fantastic art installations, wood carvings, an iglo (The Fridge) and stopped off in one of the villages for lunch...excellent!

There is a great local pool which is just at the bottom of the road and very quite. It appears under used in my opinion, flumes (watch out! hehe!), lazy river, conservatory, cafe, loungers, whirlpool + more. The sauna again was very quiet during the day and is reasonably good with all you would expect and certainly worth a visit but it is naked so not for the bashful! The whole building and facilities appear to be new. There is also an ice rink.

The best breakfast yet for me in a small hotel in Austria was served here! Delicious local cheese and meat, eggs cooked to order and a full range of freshly cooked breads, nuts, cereal, yogurt, cake, juice etc. Coffee machine was fabulous with an honesty box so you could use it all day and various teas available too. I particularly loved that each morning there would be a special treat left by your setting such as a special drink, yogurt or cake all with a story to tell from Murkus or Christine about it's origins. The view from the breakfast room is superb!

During our stay every morning Makus or Christine would advise on the weather and various activities or trips which would be best this day or that. I had to call on them once or twice for support on my travels and they were quick to respond and very helpful. In the end I had no need for reps from Crystal!

I took ill during the holiday (do not eat local oysters, silly me!) and they checked on me and worried about me which was lovely. Because of this I would highly recommend this hotel for single travelers as you feel you have some back up in Markus and Christine if you need help or assistance.

All in all a lovely experience which meant I learned a lot about both my hosts and Austria and I ended up feeling like part of the family at times!

Markus and Christine work very hard to make sure all of their guests enjoy their holiday to the max, I suggest all you have to do is ask and because of this I think my motto for this review would be 'if you can't say nothing nice don't say nothing at all' !! ....they deserve, in my opinion, only praise and credit!

For more pics check out the Mayrhofen 2013 photos's on my FB site!

Room Tip: If you need a particular type of room book well in advance and contact Markus and Christine directly...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 20, 2013

After spending a week with Markus and Christine I would say this is the nicest stay I've had in mayrhofen and it was my 10th time! The hotel is beautiful, the rooms are comfortable, clean and spacious and the breakfast is the best! Especially the scrambled egg! They are a fantastic couple who made my mum and I feel like part of the family. Looking forward to seeing them again :-)

• Stayed January 2013
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We have just returned from this hotel there were 10 of us staying for a weeks sking, we received a very warm welcome with a glass of schnapps on arrival from Christina and Markus, the rooms were great and spacious and beautifully decorated and warm. They couldn't do enough for us the breakfast was great with fresh eggs from the local farmer and great selection of meat and local produce. It felt like home from home . This is one of the best ski hotels I have stayed in and would highly recommend it is only small but there is everything you need. There is boot room behind the hotel and its only a 5 min walk from the village. I would def give it 10 out of 10 thanks for a lovely stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Glasgow
Reviewed January 13, 2013

we stayed as a group of six and agree with previous reviews of this lovely B&B - Markus and Christina are so welcoming and such characters. Nothing is any trouble for them and they go out of their way for their guests. The rooms are imaculate and spacious and the breakfasts are delicious. Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the Mayrhofen area. - Outstanding.

1 Thank Murdo1971