“Ageless charm meet endless devotion”

Alpenhotel Kramerwirt
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Mayrhofen
Old Durham Town, England, United Kingdom
“Ageless charm meet endless devotion”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

My recent stay at the kramerwirt could not have been better. Situated opposite a church and a small village green gives the hotel a feel that it has nestled with time into its rightful position, and although central to all things Mayrhofen, you conclude your stay thinking that the clock is chiming a little slower just for you....
The food is exceptional and most meat and diary products come directly from their own farm. The kitchen and restaurant are closely monitored by the owners each evening which reassures guests that attention to detail is worthy of their 300 year old legacy.
If i had paid double for the same experience, I'd still be smiling.
Do yourself a favour and check out the spar.........

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Peter C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2014

There is no need to amplify or repeat accolades of other travellers only to say that we had a wonderful time and would not hesitate to come back or recommend this hotel to anybody.

So why we mark the hotel down ? Well, we are living in the age where it is expected, at least from establishments of this quality, that a reliable Internet connection would be a matter of cause. Unfortunately whilst the internet is available, and free, it is difficult to connect to the system, and if connected almost impossible to use the internet in any practical manner. It is simply too overloaded for the number of users. Good news is, upon talking to the management about it, that there are plans to upgrade the system this spring.

There is perhaps only one more thing to add. Some seven years ago whilst staying in Mayrhofen in another hotel we had an evening meal in Kramerwirt. We were so impressed with the hotel, service and food that this year when we decided to come back to this resort we did not hesitate to choose Alpenhotel Kramerwirt. We were NOT disappointed.

Room Tip: If you can (cost issue) do not choose rooms in the annex.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vladimir K
Lewes, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We stayed last week at the Krammerwirt. The owners are extremely courteous and spent time talking with us about their experiences and are so very interesting. The hotel was warm, extremely clean, beautifully decorated and well equipped - watch out for the amazing water pressure if you want a bubble bath, I nearly filled the room with foam! If I had to pick at one thing, the beds were a little hard for me, but an extra duvet supplied worked as a mattress topper. Tina our waitress was superb, incredibly hard working and observant of everyone's likes and dislikes. We wanted to eat a Schnitzel on our last night and although not on the menu, she arranged it. Furthermore, despite our incredibly early departure, breakfast was available at 4am. The location was perfect, the bus stop outside made it extremely easy to access the slopes. The main station is only 5 minutes walk if you want to travel further afield. It was a perfect place for our family - I am sure we will return.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Iv'e just returned from a weeks stay at the Kramerwirt and would really like to share my amazing experience and express just how impressed I was with this family run hotel .The rooms were to a great standard and very clean and the staff were astounding. I am on a very awkward diet at the moment which meant I was not able to enjoy the normal delights on the menu. I did not expect any special treatment and was prepared to make do with what ever I might be able to eat but Tina our waitress went out of her way to make sure my exact needs were met and communicated my finicky diet needs to the chef who prepared me a separate meal according to my needs on a daily basis. It's been along time since I have experienced such outstanding service. Its a centrally located hotel next to the church. I can't believe that some reviews have commented on the noisy church bells. Our room was probably the closest to the bells that you could get and it was not a problem at all.If anything I found them pleasing rather than annoying they are not intrusive or overwhelming for any normal human being and I would ignore the negative comments left by a strange minority. We took advantage of the full spa facilities which were most welcome after a hard day on the slopes. The spa has 2 Jacuzzi's, a sauna a steam room a theratarium as well as a infrared sauna. Its an Austrian rules spa so there is no room for being prudish but don't let that put you off the facilities are too good to pass up on and you can hide your modesty with a towel. There are several bars within walking distance but be warned this is a lively town and you will come across a fair few package tour pub crawls as the town caters to a lively crowd. The noisy and smokey bars were slightly off-putting for myself and I gave up on trying to find a bar where I didn't come out of stinking of an ashtray or with ring ears. The hotel has a quiet bar which is pleasant enough but it was almost too quiet and it would be nice if the town could offer something in the middle. Perhaps it exists but I didn't find it. A ski bus stops conveniently right outside the hotels front door and takes you to either the Penken or the A horn main gondolas. I found that neither of these 2 montains were as good as the nearby neighbouring mountains which are also covered by the main ski pass . The Zillertal Arena is without doubt worth making the effort to venture too. Its served by a easy train/bus ride and most of the package tours offer it as a day excursion. If its offered then definitely do it. The next best skiing was Kaltenbach. Both of these mountains offered more exciting longer and less crowded runs. Take advantage of them and get away from the crowded and less superior Penken.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jon N
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I don't usually write reviews but I feel as though I have to about this hotel and our experience. We traveled with 2 young children (2.5 years and 8 months), so something kid friendly was important. I read numerous reviews but none I read covered the kid friendly features of the hotel.

This is a family owned hotel and the staff were amazing, Marika the owner always came and spoke to us everyday and our hostess was called Verena who was amazing. We bought some packet food for our 8 month old son, but Verena offered for one of the chefs (14 in total) to prepare some fresh baby food, which they did everyday, and my son loved it. Even my daughters (2.5 years old) kids's meal were amazing and I would have quite happily eaten that, however, the meal prepared for us (choice of dishes), was amazing and some of the best food I've ever eaten. I felt like I was on Masterchef when eating some of dishes as I was experiencing explosions of flavor in my mouth.

Another amazing feature of this hotel was that it has a playroom which we used on most days when coming back from skiing. Needless to say I will be going back to this hotel and cannot recommend it enough.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Vivek137
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2014

This review is a little late in coming, but I hope that people considering Kramerwirt for this season will not hesitate and book. I stayed for a week in March 2013 half board with my girlfriend. I have snowboarded in Austria for over ten years and have stayed in many hotels. I have to say that Kramerwirt is one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in. It is a beautiful family run hotel which dates back at least 200 years. The staff are extremely friendly and from the moment of check-in we were made to feel welcome, especially when I arrived a little flustered having

My girlfriend is a coeliac and therefore required a gluten free menu. We had emailed her dietary requirement before arrival but we were not holding out for any special attention. Quite often my girlfriend makes-do with whatever is on the menu as many restaurants do not cater for gluten intolerance. This was certainly not the case with Kramerwirt. We were pleasantly surprised that every day the chef had prepared a special gluten free menu, including freshly baked gluten free bread. On one evening she had a freshly caught wild trout from the local river, they had caught two so I managed to have the fish too. This was not on the menu for the other guests and was only as she was a coeliac. The food at the Kramerwirt is superb and certainly the best I have eaten in Austria. Every evening we were looked after by Verena who I would like to single out for her humour and kindness.

The Kramerwirt is walking distance to the main gondola and the centre of town.

I would not hesitate in returning to the Kramerwirt and if you are considering this hotel go for it you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank simontegala
Cornwall
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Stayed with my girlfriend in the hotel Kramerwirt annex for Xmas 2013 and had a simply perfect Austrian family run hotel experience.

The annex is across a small square from the main hotel so really just a few metres walk over for meals, bar and spa. We were not sure how being in a separate building might effect our experience but found it really made no difference to staying in the hotel. The room (606) at the back on the first floor is very large and comfortable, with an Austrian double and a single bed, a table and chairs, plenty of storage, a huge shared balcony, flat screen HD TV with 5 or 6 English channels and a small en-suite with a shower. The annex is over a supermarket and opposite a church both of which start to make some noise early in the morning from around 6am. Our room at the back appeared to be in the quietest position, if you are at the front then the church bells are strong, and at the side the sound from the supermarket setting up is stronger. We didn't find the noise a problem because we like to get up early on a ski holiday.

The large ski locker with heated boot racks is under the main hotel and there is also a small games room. There is a reasonably popular smoking bar at the front of the hotel with a resident pianist playing every night and occasionally singing.

The food was lovely. The breakfast served until 10am, is a generous Austrian buffet that included a very big selection of breads, fruit, yoghurt, cheese, ham, juice, coffee, tea, toast as well as hot bacon, eggs and sausage. The dinner was four courses (starter, soup, main, desert) plus a small salad bar. The main course is chosen in the morning and served at the table, or on a couple of days a large buffet presented an even larger selection. We found the food delicious and always appreciated the salad bar as an additional 5th course. The house wine was very good and reasonably priced at 11e for 1/2ltr, we were not charged for tap water.

The lovely spa is on the roof of the hotel with its own bar and charming female manager. It offers two jaccuzis, a large sauna, steam room, warm room, a smaller 2 person infra red sauna, a hot and cold foot bath and heated stone loungers, as well as numerous ordinary loungers, showers and an open air terrace overlooking the square. It is Austrian rules so the changing area is mixed and the entire spa is a nude area. You will not get away with trying to enter with a swimming costume, but you can always wrap your towel around you. We visited the spa for a few hours every evening and found it to be very quiet, sharing the facilities with a mixed group of no more than half a dozen respectful and peaceful guests.

The hotel is located in a lovely part of town about 8 mins walk to the nearest lift, 4 mins walk to the train station (for other linked resorts) and the buses to the lifts stop at the front door.

The real strength of this hotel is the warmth and consideration that you feel from all of the staff and management. It is an old family owned hotel and the entire team clearly take a lot of pride in what they do, working very efficiently together to ensure the best level of comfort and service with a smile.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple