“return trip standards dropped”
Review of Hotel Sonnblick

Hotel Sonnblick
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Kaprun
leigh england
“return trip standards dropped”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Just returned from hotel sonnblick 15/6/13-22/6/13 I would like to give my honest review of this property, first of all I would like to thank the muxel family for kindly offering an upgraded room after informing them we would be on our honeymoon and also the bottle of bubbly awaiting in our room a very nice gesture. The room was nice and spacious and well proportioned, the general decor throughout the hotel was clean and tidy,the new spar was good but the downside to that was there were two saunas instead of one and a steam room and the census was that they were both to hot to handle, the jacuzzi was nice and relaxing but general temperature of the spar was to hot.We were offered afternoon tea from 3-30=5-30 it is the first hotel I have ever been to who offer you afternoon tea without offering you tea or coffee with it, you had to pay for it and we paid 5.70 euros for two coffees both my wife and myself thought this very mean and spoiled the offer of afternoon tea. Now we come to the food the last time we went to this hotel the food was excellent well all I can say is they must have changed the chef the food was awful it was grossly over salted and very rich and I can honestly say I did not enjoy one meal I am not a picky eater far from it I enjoy my food very much I would go as far as to say it is the worst food I have had in any hotel in austria, The saga at breakfast trying to get a ground coffee was something else after explaining what a ground coffee was i repeatedly was served instant coffee which is unacceptable for a 4* hotel or latte which is totally different to ground. We were offered tea or coffee as part of our evening meal but were charged for it on our bill, we were also charged a city tax on our bill as well it is the first time we have ever been charged this in austria so we queried it with the rep at the airport he was embarrassed that this had happened after repeatedly telling them that this was included in the price of the holiday so he gave us an immediate refund, the reception staff should be clued up on this. We have been previous guests at this hotel but in view of my review of this hotel we would not return again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

I expect something more from 4*, however it was ok.little bit smaller room. Good idea in afternoon snack for guests. There was a delay during dinner. The staff is not speaking good english despite it is not a problem to communicate. The price is moreless based because of Kaprun.

• Stayed June 2013
Finland
Reviewed June 21, 2013

The best service I've ever received at a hotel, small or large. A wonderfully cozy little family run hotel where customer certainly comes first. Our family room was very clean and in great condition. The view from both the balcony and the side window was outstanding. There's no doubt where we'll stay on our next Kaprun / Zell am See holiday. Sonnblick is simply great! Vielen Dank!

Room Tip: The "Maiskogel" family room with a wooden floor on the third floor was fabulous.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Friendly staff, traditional family run hotel with clean, tidy rooms. We had adjoining rooms which had been a suite which was perfect for the family. Food was very good, though I would suggest more buffet choice, especially for kids. Having to get a bus to Kitzsteinhorn glacier was a minor inconvenience (only 12mins though) as we had been used to on-doorstep skiing the previous year. Convenient for access to Maiskogel run (just 5mins walk) (which was great, but advise staying in upper slopes at this of year) and Zell Am See worth a visit (only 15mins bus ride).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Reading
Reviewed April 7, 2013

The staff and the modern and clean rooms at the Sonnblick made our holiday. The rooms that we had were large enough and were spotlessly clean, the shower and toilet were separate and we had a balcony.

The food is exceptional, we booked with Crystal and had the 5 course menu, the breakfasts were excellent too. The ski and boot room was fabulous with boot warmers and plenty of space for skis and equipment. The hotel is about 1-2 mins walk to the bus stop for the Glacier or 5-7 mins walk from the Maiskogel ski area. The bus took 12 mins to get to the glacier lifts.

The spa and swimming pool was fabulous and used by all of our family, very clean and modern. There are naked people in the spa but this did not cause us a problem after we got used to it.

The only downside was that our room was next to the road which was a bit noisy as we had to open the windows as the room was so hot. We gave the full 5 spot rating as we did not mention this to the staff who I am sure would have been very keen to rectify the problem if we had asked. The restaurant was also a bit hot but they put the air con on on the last day. Although breakfast was not served until 7:30am which is too late if you want to be on the first bus/lifts the staff are flexible if you ask them to start a bit earlier.

Overall this was a fabulous hotel and we would recommend it.

Room Tip: I think you have to choose between the fabulous mountain views and have the road or go round the oth...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Tring, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My partner and I had an excellent week in the Hotel Sonnblick. The Manager and all her staff were so friendly and made a point of meeting us and always greeting us by name. The evening meal was excellent every day, and late afternoon there was always a complimentary soup, salad and cake. The wine list was good to and we mostly chose an Austrian wine each day. The breakfasts had an amazing choice and always such a pleasure. The heated outdoor pool was a wonderful experience. We really enjoyed the leisure facilities. Everywhere was incredibly clean. We stayed in a superior room which gave us a little more room and I even sat out reading on the balacony one afternoon.

Room Tip: Would recommend an upgrade to a superior room. The feedback from others was that the standard were q...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ely, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

There is a real welcome when you arrive through the door. This is the case overtime you walk through the door. The staff cannot do more to help you. The hotel is well placed in Kaprun and is easy for town and the ski slopes. The hotel is typically Tyrolean and well maintained. I think we had an older room as the pictures on the website show some better rooms. However the room was warm, comfortable and had amazing views. I would strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013