“Good quality, very expensive”

Alpen Wellness Hotel Barbarahof
Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Kaprun
Reviewed January 11, 2010

The hotel is rated 4 stars superior, I would say is 3 stars superior. Excellent location, right in the centre of Kaprun. Food is ok, especially at breakfast. Dinner could be better, especially the soups. Furniture in the rooms looks like 80s. The staff is ok.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank calinski

Reviewed January 11, 2010

is a hotel with an excellent kitchen, both qualitatively as well as cantitativ.service are very good, perhaps the spa would be a jacuzzi.Ne I felt great.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 4, 2010

From the minute we opened the door the welcome we received from the staff, their friendliness and desire to please never wained. Not even at departure when we where wished well by all.
This lovely family hotel with excellent spa facilities and lovely food must not be missed by anyone travelling to Kaprun. We stayed here for Christmas 2009 and had a really good time. The christmas eve and christmas day gala dinners where beautifully presented and served with the food well worthy of its special restaurant awards. Our children aged 12 and 13 also enjoyed the culinary adventures and only on a couple of occassions participated in the childrens menus.
The rooms available are very spacious and well fitted out and in the new annexe there are some truly beautiful suites.
The location to the slopes was a selling point for us as the nursery slopes are located behind the hotel but just be careful as the snow in resort is not always reliable and a few days we travelled up to the glacier. This was not a major hardship as the bus stops outside the hotel but could be a little more challenging in peak season. We used the austrian ski school (ski and board Kaprun) next to the main supermarket in Kaprun (yellow jackets) and we could not faulty the instruction. Best ever and real focus on quality ski-ing.
The spa at the hotel is one of the best that I have ever experienced and the beauty of relaxing in the steam room and having a swim in the great pool area at the end of a days ski-ing should not be taken lightly.
Overall would truly recommend this hotel and resort and have to pass on thanks to all the staff for a truly memorable christmas.
The only thing we would say is a big hello to the Crystal rep if indeed we ever saw him. I think you can get the message there from my comment. Do it yourself in the internet would be my advice.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 18, 2009

My partner and I booked a late deal to stay in this hotel in July. We paid £340 half board which we thought was excellent value for money.
When we arrived (8.30pm) we were greeted by a very nice receptionist who showed us to our rooms and took our evening meal order as we arrived late.
We paid for a small room, which was adequate. Very clean and plenty of room for 2 people. I think the new part of the building has the big posh rooms as seen in the hotel pictures.

The food was very good. There was a wide buffet spread for breakfast; bread, cereal, fruit, yoghurt, cooked - sausages, bacon and scrambled egg and variety of juice. You choose you're main evening meal at breakfast each day. Starters were a buffet of salad, then you choose between two soups and evening meal between 3 or 4 options (always 1 vegetarian option available). I found puddings weren’t quite as varied but always very nice and tasty. We also saw separate meals being bought out for children.
The staff were excellent and provided great customer service and were always friendly. The receptionist was particularly friendly with children. All the staff speak excellent English; we tried our best with the odd bit of German though!

The hotel offers free bike hire. We used them once to cycle down to lake Zell.

The hotel also has an indoor pool and sauna, gym etc. I only used the pool once, but all looked very nice and worth using in the winter after skiing.

We went to kaprun for the activities and booked through crystal. We arrived on the Saturday evening and meet our Rep on the Sunday morning. He was very good, showed us round part of the village and gave us all the information we needed. The crystal office was just down the road from the hotel and can't be missed (says crystal/thomson at top). I advise pre booking activities as they are more expensive in resort mainly due to the £ to euro conversion.
We did river rafting which was very good, a lot tamer than we imagined so it's great for older children/teenagers. We also did canyoning which was so much fun - climbing and jumping off high rocks into rock pools and sliding down waterfalls. Highest jump we did was 30ft!
We also did a 3 hour guided mountain bike tour, which I fell off coming downhill. And did skiing for a morning - you have to pay for full day but it gets very slushy by lunch time as it warms up in summer.

A fantastic holiday staying in an excellent hotel with good service from hotel staff and Crystal.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank slac623
Reviewed April 5, 2009

We stayed at the Barbarahof for a week's skiing holiday, had a wonderful time at the hotel and would definitely recommend it to friends.
Rooms
We were in one of their older rooms. It was very spacious with a sitting area and a large balcony overlooking the nursery slopes. The toilet and bathroom were off an ante room which also included the wardrobes. The furniture is looking a little dated but the room was spotless and the carpet seemed new and the paintwork fresh.
Spa
This did not seem to be used very much. We used it a couple of times and had it to ourselves. It was nice place to relax after a day on the slopes. Note to the shy - the hotel rule is no clothing in the sauna and steam room area. But plenty of fluffy towels are provided.
The breakfasts were good. A buffet with almost everything you could want. But the evening meals were outstanding. Each night there was a salad buffet which could be a delicious meal in itself - in addition to salad and vegetable dishes there were cold meats, smoked salmon and a couple of hot dishes. This was followed by one of two soups (chosen at breakfast time), one of four mains (also chosen at breakfast), desert and cheese. The standard was superb, probably the best hotel food we have eaten at any 4/5 star in Europe/US/Mexico.
All of the staff were friendly and helpful whether in reception, serving in the bar or at breakfast and dinner. They are one of the hotel's greatest assets!

The week that we were there the whole resort of Kaprun was very quiet. Most of the ski school classes only had 4-6 people, we heard that our tour operator had only one fifth of their capacity in resort and the hotel was very quiet which makes it all the more impressive that the buffets were so extensive.

The location of the hotel couldn't be better, close to the centre and right in front of the nursery slope and ski school meeting place.

Other posts have referred to the charges for water at meals. Yes they do charge, and for the afternoon tea if you have one with the complimentary cake, but this is fairly standard practice in Austria and to be expected.

All in all we really enjoyed the Barbarahof and were we to return to Kaprun we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BethR
Reviewed February 14, 2009

OK, I have had 24 hours to calm down since leaving and I am now going to write what I feel is a balanced review of Hotel Barbarahof.

First, the good points:
My wife says the massage she had was very good.
The food in the evenings and breakfast was 'ok', and the service of the waiting staff was great.
The location is good - a short walk to all of Kaprun's amenities.
The swimming pool/spa area is nice, although the pool was never quite warm enough.
The waiting staff were great with our 22-month old daughter, and they brought the food for her at 5pm, outside their normal restaurant hours.

However - there were a number of issues with the hotel and they mostly centre around the eponymous Barbara.

Upon arriving (we had upgraded to a junior suite at a cost of 70 Euros a night) after a four hour transfer we found that everything had shut down, and we received little help with our bags etc...the big problem was the room, it stank of cigarettes although in the morning Barbara assured us this was impossible as 'all the rooms are non-smoking' . Also, the room was in the old part of the hotel, with a view from the balcony of another buliding - nice, and we hadn't even got to the biggest problem yet. As a 'suite' it was tiny, also we had to walk through the area our daughter's cot was set-up to get to our room or to go to the loo which negated the point of upgrading. When we finally got our daughter to bed (10pm) we found the (travel) cot mattress was so thin (about a centimetre thick) that we had to use one of our duvets (single beds with single duvets - nice) folded up so she could get some sleep. This left us with one single duvet, between us, and when we asked the bar staff they couldn't get us another one, but provided us with a valanced sheet (!!!). So, no sleep. The next morning we explained how disappointed we were with the situation to Barbara, and she offered us a 2-room suite at 140 Euros (extra!) a night, even though she had no guests for the room, she didn't feel due to a lack of a night's sleep she should offer us a better room at a better rate... We didn't feel we had a choice as the whole point of a holiday is to get away and relax, and although we kicked up a fuss, she said like it or lump it and even had the audacity to claim she was doing us a favour as the rack rate was 200 Euros extra! That said, the suite was ok (if very dated) and had a lovely view, bath, hot shower etc...I explained to Barbara I wasn't going to pay the 70 Euros for the night before (in any other hotel I would expect some sort of extra goodwill gesture as the 70 Euros was just the upgrade cost), and she argued with me, I said I would pick it up later in the week with her - she just didn't get the fact that I felt we shouldn't pay (the upgrade!!) for a night when we had NO SLEEP!!!

Surprise surprise, fast forward to us checking out on Saturday and they refused to take the 70 Euros off the bill (bearing in mind our bill was nudging up towards 1,000 Euros - just for upgrades and extras!!!) and when I refused to pay the 70 Euros they made a huge scene of stopping us getting on our transfer and the (male) manager (B's husband?) got very aggressive, and threatened us with the police. I had to take him up to the room to show him the mattress etc... Barbara's response - 'your baby is too big for a cot - in Austria they go in a bed at 18 months'. We couldn't believe it! Even given the audacity of this statement our daughter was 5 week prem, and is tiny for her age - 22 months...They then offered us 35 Euros off before eventually (10 minutes more of their aggression/my disbelief) they knocked the 70 Euros off. So my last impression of leaving that hotel was their complete and utter lack of customer service, and agression. I actually felt quite intimidated

There were loads of other frustrations with the hotel:

A jug of tap water was 2.80 Euros...even though we were staying half board. Now I could nip to the supermarket 400 yards up the road and buy mineral water cheaper than this - I found it outrageous. Again, they refused, point blank, to remove this from the bill, even though I refused to sign the chits.

The whisky they served in the bar hadn't been stored properly and wasn't fit for purpose, although they knocked it off the bill the manager said when we checked out 'we even knocked off a whisky that you drank' off the bill. I had great pleasure in taking him up to the room to show him I hadn't touched a drop of it. He then sniffed it, held it up to the light in a disbelieving way - who said customer service was dead??!!

The internet connection was free in the lobby but 12 Euros in the room - how does that work?

The kids' food was very 'meat and potatoes' or fried reconstituted meat (nuggets etc...) and chips - our daughter was craving for vegetables by the end of the week!

Our food was 'ok' and some night's food were good - they did a great veg lasagne for example, and the soups were great...but, again, they must have vegetables in Austria - christ, meat and potato every night!

I stay in hotels around 100 nights a year and I have had much much better service in 2/3 star hotels/budget chains. This hotel is not a 4 star - not even close. The real shame is that it could be so good - it is in a great location, the majority of the staff are fantastic, and with some updating the hotel would be improved. However, Barbara and her 'manager - husband?' are going nowhere and never will and I would urge people to avoid this hotel if you care about the level of service you receive - she just doesn't know what customer service means. Throughout the stay as well I was 'sweetness and light' never anything other than polite, maybe I should have been ruder or more direct, it's just I have always found that when you are unhappy about a situation you tend to get a better result being calm and considered - hence why I was so shocked by their heavy handed agressive response.

For info we have written to Crystal Ski who we booked through. Their reps (who were fantastic) also spoke at length with Barbara before we checked out and she refused to budge too - we sensed they had had this situation before...interestingly on the Wednesday we saw another guest being confronted by the police in the lobby - we assumed he'd had something stolen, and maybe that was the case - perhaps though it could just have been the strong-arm tactics of the host.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
9  Thank Moosola
Reviewed December 22, 2008

We have returned to the Barbarahof for many years and have always experienced excellent hospitality and service. Most of the rooms have been refurbished in the old part and the new part is spacious and worth the extra expense.
Food is excellent and service great too.
The staff have always been only too willing to accomodate any requests even different child's menu choice and turning up the pool if too cold.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank CathyES