“Neilson's Lodge Sonnenalp - very pleasant !”
Review of Chalet Sonnenalp

Chalet Sonnenalp
Chalet Sonnenalp
Ranked #25 of 46 Specialty Lodging in Kaprun
London, United Kingdom
“Neilson's Lodge Sonnenalp - very pleasant !”
Reviewed January 30, 2011

This property is now run by Neilson, and they are operating it as a Lodge - the only obvious difference to a Chalet is that you pay for your alcoholic drinks with dinner ! This does add a bit to the price (they aren't cheap), but you decide how much to drink !

The location is reasonably central - walking distance to the Maiskogel chairlift (or a more comfortable short bus trip from the very close busstop), and has a direct bus link to the Kitzsteinhorn gondola. It is worth learning the bus times at the start of the week (currently 17 and 47 mins past the hour) - we didn't and wasted a bit of time waiting for buses.

The room we had was spacious, lovely bedding and it had a decent wardrobe - the only problem was the sofa bed. The folds in the sofa bed I had created peaks and troughs of their own, which made sleeping on it difficult - I suspect it needs replacing !

The bathroom was a decent size, clean and with a great shower - powerful, nice and hot, and enough room to turn around without hitting the walls ! If you are looking for a soak, the town swimming pool (Optimum) is closed - but the Tauern Spa on the outskirts of town (15 euro or 25 euro with sauna access) is great.

The wifi in the entrance hall was not working, but there is free wifi in some of the bars (including Paletti) and restaurants (including Hilberger's Beisl), or outside the supermarket in the centre of the town.

The afternoon cake was my favourite food - plenty of it, nice and light and a different one each day. The breakfast service runs from 8-9am and gets a bit busy, with the staff struggling to keep the juice/milk/coffee/bread available. I think they need to rethink how they operate this as it wastes time waiting for the staff to bring them out. The breakfast itself consists of cereals with milk or yoghurt, bread, and one hot item each day (egg or sausage etc). Somewhat different to the typical breakfast you get in an Austrian B&B.

The evening meal consists of a starter (usually soup), a main course and a desert - the quality was reasonable and quantity was just right. It was very english though - don't expect an austrian experience !

Overall whilst the week's experience was perfectly pleasant (made more so by the excellent last minute bargain price), the design of the lodge does not give it the cosy feel that some chalet's manage - with the bar in the basement, and the log fire in the entrance hallway there isn't a natural area to sit and chat.

If you go, I'm sure you will enjoy your week, but if you are booking in advance at the full price rates, you might want to look elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
UK
Reviewed March 18, 2010

Firstly, I cannot believe the negative remarks on this site about this property. Guests must understand this is a catered chalet and not a full service hotel. The kitchenettes in the guests bedrooms are not for use in the winter and yes breakfast starts at 0730 not 0700! What do you expect for flights,transfers, accommodation, food, taxes, ski hosting for around £500.00 pp! The fact that your flights were diverted/delayed bears no relation on this chalet - get real.

The chalet offers great sized bedrooms, the lounge is relatively small but has a great fire and some comfortable seating. It is a little tired but it's traditional and atmospheric.

The childcare was second to none (incl many companies with far more expensive childcare options). Billy and Chloe were just the best with the kids.

The staff were truly amazing and attentive. From resort manager to ski guide to kitchen porters to nannies.

The cuisine was superb. Canapes great including home made onion barghees, home made rustic chips with home made garlic houmus, etc. Breakfasts were good - porridge every morning and eggs cooked to order plus bacon butties, fresh cereals, bread, meats and cheeses and yoghurts, fruit, fruit juices, tea and coffee. Main meals very good and plenty of it. Now, I have taken over 40 chalet holidays in my time and eaten in some pretty good michelin starred restaurants - this was good food, believe me.

Some guests need to get a grip on reality and perhaps if they smiled and treated the staff with respect then they may find they may enjoy their holidays. its no good comparing a catered chalet with a 5 star hotel - champagne taste lemonade money some people.

I booked this through ski travel agency www.snowfinders.co.uk, as I normally do, and got above what I expected from the holiday.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2010

Just got back from a week in Kaprun staying in the Sonnenalp which is run by Ski Esprit.

I genuinely have no massively bad things to say about our weeks trip.

I have been skiing every year for over 20 years and have stayed in hotels, self catering, catered chalets etc., albeit only for the last 5 years with kids. I can honestly say, pound for pound, I have never had such a good value skiing break

So - let's get the minor negatives out of the way:

a) Quality of the kids meals and adults evening meals were very very good - the only constructive criticism I would give is that rather than focusing on the ala carte presentation, just pile it on (16 stone bloke skiing all day needs the volume too!) - having said that the portions would have been fine for others.

b) The food on Monarch charter was rank !! Not in Esprit's direct control but it's part of the package

c) There isn't a proper lounge area in the chalet, its a lobby with Sofas and chairs - but perfectly adequate, sat in there for Canapes (which were good) and then spent most of evening in restaurant for meal and drinks afterwards - often till the early hours

d) The Kids club is in the Sonnenalp and the Nursery is in the sister Chalet (called the Mara) at the other side of Kaprun, but logistics aren't a big deal as they lay on a mini bus and coach to get you about in the mornings and late afternoon

In terms of the positives:

a) Chalet was large, rooms were actually apartments which were basic but clean and warm (they provide extra heaters which we didn't have to use). the chalet is far, far, far better than the one in Kaprun we stayed in last year with Crystal.

b) Staff were young, energetic and polite - not always slick but always willing

c) Childcare was great - the singing on the bus in the morning got a bit much when I had a hangover!! I hadn't realised when I booked how much time the kids would spend with the "snow rangers" - they took them from us at 9am for lessons, then lunch, then kids club (unless we skied with them - which we did most days), then their own high tea - up until 6pm.

d) My eldest child loved the ski lessons - he started the week as a beginner and was going top to bottom down the mountain in the week - he is just 5.

e) Evening meal was always of good quality with a choise of 4 wines (as much as you can drink) - as previous comment, there were a couple of evenings where portions could have been larger

Breakfasts were fine - but could have had a bit more variety, that not withstanding, the soft boiled eggs, salami and bread went down a treat with a cup of strong coffee most mornings to soak up the wine!!

f) Organisation & Logistics - Flights and connections seamless, the coutresy buses were a god send, skis and passes all well organised (certainly better than Crystal last year). We also got free access to local swimming pool etc.

g) Local knowledge / Ski guiding - I didn't get the comments in the negative reviews about local knowledge and ski area info, I found it all good - in point of fact, they sorted 3 tables out at very popular restaurant for the Wednesday night without any issues. The observation I would make on the negative reviews is that those trips were at start of season and perhaps staff weren't up to speed?

In summary, for the price we paid, (which was significantly less than what I was quoted by both Crystal and Mark Warner), the holiday utterly exceeded our expectations and I thoroughly recommend both the chalet, Kaprun and Esprit.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Berkshire
Reviewed January 31, 2010

I have skiied in Austria for the last four years, which I arranged myself. I decided to book Esprit as a treat as I thought it would be more convenient, maybe a little more luxurious and the childcare would be good. With the exception of the childcare which was excellent, how wrong I was!

Oubound Transfer:
8 hour delay. Stuck in Munich for 3 hours until about 1am with little information, limited seating and no water (only fizzy drinks). The promised buses to transfer us to Salsburg never materialised so we were eventually released to find our own way by taxi in the driving snow. I know from another family (that we met in Kaprun) that they have had 2 other similar experiences with Esprit in the last 3 years.

Accommodation
The accomodation bears little relation to what is described in the brochure.
It is shabby and not 'beautifully converted to a superior lvel of traditional Austrian comfort'. I have experienced Austrian comfort for past 4 years in a small cheap B&B that was far nicer!
Bed mattress dirty. Linen very worn, marked/dirty, and bobbly. Inadequate to cover the dirty mattress. I have stayed in Austria for 4 previous years and never experienced such poor accommodation. The boot room was wholly inadquate - no heating bars to dry boots only one outdated storage heater.

Breakfast
The breakfast wasn't 'substantial'.
Stale cereal was provided with minimum choice, only corn flakes on final day. Milk sometimes off/sour. Limited fruit, ran out of bananas and pears. Yoghurts only available half of week. Eggs boiled like bullets, not to taste. Bread - poor choice mainly baguette, only rolls on last couple of days. Coffee machine never refreshed. Very old dirty kettle that looked dangerous.

Evening Meal
Poor to average. No info on adult meals. Childrens menu couldn't be relied upon.

Kitchen
Not very clean and poorly equipped. Regular smell of gas from kitchen in dining room. Chef burned food (pork) because oven was inadequate. Chef's apron filthy.

General Hosting
No info on lift functioning even if questioned. Little knowledge of resort e.g. short cuts, restaurants, opening times for swimming pool. Sometimes given incorrect information.

Childrens ski school finished at 11:15. They normally left at 09:00 from our chalet and we had to pick up others at chalet Mara so they never received a 2 hour lesson.
On the second day (1st day of skiing) they went to the nursery slope and had to walk up the slope as they didn't use the button lift. One day we saw them hanging around Maiskogel at 09:30 without having been skiing.
The female instructor was impatient and openly exasperated with my son and other children. We have been skiing as a family for 5 years and never encountered this attitude before.

Ski School - Adult
No "free" ski lesson provided, we had pre-booked this
Ski guides knew the slopes less than we did. Didn't know what to do when the lifts closed.
Info on conditions very poor or incorrect

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
skitotal, Management at Chalet Sonnenalp, responded to this review, February 15, 2010
We would like to place the below negative Reviews in perspective and to answer some of the points raised:
The flight diversion to Munich was regrettable but due to inclement weather and out of the tour operator’s control. Guests were transported by taxi at the tour operator’s expense to Salzburg in order to minimise the waiting and delay at Munich. The alternative would have been to wait for coaches to travel from Salzburg to collect them and guests were at risk of then overnighting at the airport due to no hotel rooms available in the vicinity of the airport.
Regarding the accommodation, 88% of guests so far this season have rated the Chalet Sonnenalp as Excellent/Good and 90% rated the cleanliness as Excellent/Good and 91% rated their holiday overall in the Chalet Sonnenalp as Excellent/Good. For safety reasons the kitchenette areas in the rooms are disconnected and not advertised in the brochure as available.
Meals: Guest feedback so far during the 2009/10 ski season has been that 93% rated the quality of adult meals as Excellent/Good and 93% rated the children’s meals as Excellent/Good. Guest comments include “standard of food excellent” and “fabulous food and quality”.
Children’s skiing: Spritelets and Beginners are rated at 100% Excellent/Good, Improvers at 90% Excellent/Good and Intermediates at 86% Excellent/Good.
Illness: there is no indication whatsoever that the illness experienced by Richard2UK was caused by staying in this property and the quality of the cleaning (rated at 90% Excellent/Good) would support this.
Of the current season’s guests 94% would travel with Esprit again.
High Wycombe, UK
Reviewed January 29, 2010

We stayed at the Chalet Sonnenalp in Kaprun in January 2010 for a week's skiing as part of a package with a tour operator. We had travelled three times with them before, and enjoyed our trips. However, on those occasions, we stayed in hotels or in a chalet hotel. The Sonnenalp is a chalet, rather than a hotel, and the staff are young British employees. We had two rooms - one for my adult daughter, her friend, and my son aged 11; and the other for my wife and me.
On the plus side, the chalet was an easy walk from the village centre, and the tour company did, as usual, a wonderful job looking after and keeping our son and the other children busy and amused. Access to the ski slopes by bus was easy. And our stay came with membership of a health club with a fitness centre and a pool.
It is a shame, however, that the staff didn't look after the chalet and the adults so well. We arrived tired around midnight after a flight delay. The rooms were both very cold and one had no towels or pillow-cases. One bathroom also smelled of urine, indicating that it had not been cleaned properly, and there was only one bar of soap between three people. We went hunting for bed linen and it took my wife two hours to get to sleep.
Although each room had a small kitchen area, there were no pans, crockery and cutlery, so next morning I wandered down to the dining area to make myself a cup of tea. This was at 07:00 and I was rudely told that breakfast was not until 07:30. I had words with the housekeeper who grudgingly went off to fill the kettle.
The food was adequate, although we were very concerned that standards of hygiene among the staff seemed poor - dirty aprons; cups left upside down on wooden shelves that looked none too clean; I found a hair in the orange juice. The aperitif and hors d'oeuvres on offer before the set dinner at 20:00 were served in the very cramped and tatty public lounge, and most people left them.
While some staff were well-meaning, there were several instances of inefficiency. We wasted most of our first morning because we were given incorrect information on where the ski bus picked up; the control knob had fallen off our heater; a request to amend passenger information on the return flight was apparently never actioned; on arrival at the airport for the return flight, we were all sent to the wrong terminal.
However, the biggest problem was that four of the five of us fell ill. We had been warned on the first evening that "Winter fever" was in Kaprun. The staff's response was to leave a container of bacterial handwash in the lounge with the request that we use it. On the Monday afternoon my son fell ill, with projectile vomiting, fever and diarrhoea. Having read up on his symptoms after our return, they were consistent with a Norwalk type virus - and very, very unpleasant it is too. It is probably not Esprit's fault that he fell ill. However, I felt that the local staff were neither trained or properly equipped to deal with the situation. They certainly never briefed us properly. In the event, four of our party and almost half the other guests in the chalet went down ill. I caught it. I spent five hours being violently ill in the bathroom, followed by a day in bed, followed by three days while I gradually regained my appetite and my strength.
We did write to Esprit on our return. I'm going to keep their reply. One of the funniest things I've read in years. We won't be going back.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family