“Go for Jimmy - stay for Jan!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Plains
Plains Historic Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Plains B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I stayed at the Plains Inn upon the resommendation of my mother, who was there three months ago to see Jimmy Carter teach Sunday School. Mom was right - it was a great place to stay! The rooms are decorated in hostorical themes, and I stayed in the 1940's room. BIG room. Really big room, lots of space with period correct furnishing (and modern heat/AC and TV). The common area was charming, with a great porch which caught a nice breeze and had a lovely view of the town. And it was a good value too!
The proprieter, Miss Jan, is a gem to deal with. She also is the person who runs Jimmy Carter's Sunday School class, and she will tell you everything you need to know to make your visit really memorable. I loved seeing Jimmy!
I HIGHLY recommend this place!

Room Tip: Check their web site - the pictures are quite accurate!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sandra E
There are newer reviews for Plains Historic Inn

Reviewed June 15, 2012

Confession here: When I'm traveling, I slip into a rut. I like my predictable, reliable Hampton Inn. I don't like surprises. The Plains Inn reminded me that this, in fact, is an extremely boring way to live.
Normally, at any hotel, you have some nice, corporate young person behind the counter, reading a script. At the Plains Inn, your hostess is "Miss Jan", Amy Carter's 4th grade teacher. Yes, *that* Amy Carter, daughter of President and Mrs. Jimmy Carter. "Miss Jan" will give you an introduction to Plains that is second to none. If you stay elsewhere, you're missing out on a memorable life experience. And let's just say that when it comes to arranging for the best seats for President Carter's Sunday School lessons, "Miss Jan" is your woman.
It gets better. The rooms are massive: Think large junior suites. Each room at The Plains Inn is decorated with antiques in the theme of a different decade from President Carter's life, from the 1920s to the 1980s. But don't imagine that this (plus the location atop the antiques store also managed by "MIss Jan") equals fustiness. The Inn is fresh, immaculately clean, and charming.
You do have the option of getting to know other guests, if that interests you. Just hang out in the common area. I have stayed at the Plains Inn four times now, and each time, I have met fellow travelers who have fascinated me. Most recently, I chatted with a lovely couple who had established a program in Plains, PA, to fundraise for Plains, GA. They had even eaten supper with President and Mrs. Carter the night before. But I wouldn't have known that if I had stayed at the Hampton.Go on: Get out of your rut. You may be surprised by who you meet, and what a fantastic time you have.

Room Tip: Pick a decade. Any decade. They're all good. I'm working my way around them: 30s, 40s, 50s...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank GeorgiaSerendipity
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We enjoyed the inn and the little town, which if you blink you might miss. At night we met town locals and enjoyed lively political conversations and dinner at the diner across the street from the inn. Truly a southern charm and down home welcoming attitude.

Don't forget to try the peanut icecream!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank 7traveler777
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Our second visit was just as nice as the first. We love this B&B and hope to make many more trips to Plains. Everything is nicely maintained and the staff is friendly and helpful. Who could ask for more?

Room Tip: This B&B is like taking a step back in time. I love it there. If you want to take a lazy vacatio...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank R&MRich
Reviewed April 3, 2012

This was our second visit to the Inn---big rooms, each decorated based on a past decade---we were in the 1940's room---comfortable, clean and everyone is "Southern-friendly". If you are anywhere near this area this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ballhawg
Reviewed March 31, 2012

This is one of the warmest & most comfortable places we have stayed. Looking forward to finding a weekend when can come back & attend church with President Carter. Want to organize a trip with friends a rent the entire inn. The photos on web do not do it justice. Rooms & common area are clean, comfortably & beautifully decorated, great beds & sheets & towels. Welcoming staff - they act more like hosts welcoming you into ther home . (We shy away from small inns & b&b because we like our privacy & quiet, so do not want to deal with overly talkative& possessive owners.) this is not like that - very professional but welcoming& warm & respectful of your desire not to converse all the time.

Room Tip: Look at web & pick your style. All fit the era they mark and are large ( very), clean & mod...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Katie A
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Stumbled onto this place by sheer dumb luck, with no plan of spending more than an hour in Plains. When I found plenty to keep me enthralled for a day and a half, I was sorry to learn that there was no place to spend the night. Word had it that the only place in town had only a few rooms, and those were all booked long in advance. Yet, I wandered into the Inn just because I was wandering through the shops on Main Street, and lo and behold, a cancellation had left the CHOICE 1920's suite open for the night, and Innkeeper Jan graciously welcomed me.

What a delightful stay! I can't say enough for the warmth of the people and the place. The suite was very roomy, comfortably appointed, very clean...the MOST comfortable bed and pillows I've ever experienced in a hotel. The period furnishings were fabulous, and just put the whole experience over the top! The common areas led to delightful meetings with other guests, and rocking chairs on the 2nd floor veranda proved to be a favorite spot of mine...overlooking Main Street, the famous Train Depot and a lovely park, with the entire town dripping in MONSTER wisteria, dogwood and azalea blooms, it was truly a li'l bit o' heaven! The housekeeper Ruby keeps the entire operation clean, comfortable and welcoming.

Oh, and lest I forget to mention...President Carter was teaching Sunday School class, and Innkeeper Jan made sure to hold a front row seat for me!!! The epitome of Southern Hospitality! President Carter was awe-inspiring; a true Prince of Peace, if ever there was one!

Room Tip: I stayed in the 1920's suite. SUPERB! Enjoyed viewing the other suites prior to them being occu...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Helen B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plains
Best Western Plus Windsor Hotel
#2 of 7 in Americus
Days Inn Americus
Days Inn Americus
#4 of 7 in Americus

Been to Plains Historic Inn? Share your experiences!