“Well done portrait of our 39th President”
Review of The Plains School

Ranked #4 of 10 things to do in Plains
More attraction details
Owner description: Jimmy Carter's old high school is now a museum dedicated to the 39th President.
Reviewed March 22, 2014

The use of the former Plain's GA school house by the National Parks Service as a site to honor our 39th President served two purposes honoring our former President and preserving a piece of educational history for future generations. The museum was not just about the President but also about this building and how it served the community in the past. The twenty minute film on the life of Jimmy Carter was well done and worth the time. It was interesting to see how Jimmy Carter' life and his wife Rosalynn's life were depicted in the museum.

1  Thank Jimmy30263
in 3 reviews
"gift store"
"interesting place"
in 2 reviews
"staff was very friendly"
in 2 reviews
"replica of the oval office"
"minute movie"
in 3 reviews
"national park service"
"presidential election"

Reviewed February 6, 2014

It is especially interesting to see and understand the life of our 34th president through this center. Though he typically isn't praised in history books, nor remembered as successful, in hindsight his accomplishments were commendable and this place does a good job of interpreting them. I was most taken by realizing how it would be impossible for someone like him to ever be president nowadays because of the changes in our political system.

1  Thank 874World
Reviewed October 18, 2013

As retired teachers we found the history of the school to be fascinating as it also focuses on the locality and of course its most famous ex pupil, Jimmy Carter.
We met with a volunteer who told us about the restoration project and was very proud of the finished product and it typifies the pride the local people have in their town which comes through in all you meet in stores and restaurants.
Well done the people of Plains

1  Thank bryanll
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Very informative and insightful. I enjoyed the visit there and will be visiting again whenever I have other family members come to town.

1  Thank Ericka H
See more reviews
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I attended as a chaperone on my daughter's class field trip. Being a History teacher, I was naturally quite excited to get there. At the same time, I know how often museums and historical sites can be interesting, but also very dry. Plains High School provides a great opportunity to obtain an in-depth, but not to in-depth that you go to sleep, picture of former President Jimmy Carter. The center is well-decorated, and kept very organized, neat, and the people are very helpful. I couldn't wait to go back and tell the rest of my family that our summer plans were already made.

1  Thank chippyarm

Been to The Plains School? Share your experiences!