“Spartan but good”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Good for: Local cuisine
Reviewed December 25, 2011

We were in Plains for the two weeks prior to Christmas and sadly the restaurant was preparing to close for the holidays - so cut back on food preparation. The chicken salad sandwich was excellent, but then they ran out. The chicken sandwich was excellent, but then they ran out. The grilled cheese is very light on cheese, but otherwise ok. The fries are also excellent. The staff was consistently nice and friendly. It's worth eating here, just try to avoid the holidays. As others have indicated, the prices are very reasonable.

Reviewed December 20, 2011

We had sandwiches and excellent pie! The young woman who served us was very nice, and the food was hot and quickly prepared.

Reviewed December 8, 2011

This was the only eatery in Plains that was open on the evening I went, and since I didn't fancy the fifteen minute drive to Americus, I thought I would chance it. I'm glad I did.
Home-made soup for $3? Turkey sandwich for $3? Home-made sweet potato pie for $2? Clearly, these prices have have changed since the Carter Administration.
The soup was great, the sandwich was what it was (but neatly prepared), and the pie was delicious. The menu includes lots of soup/salad/sandwich selections, including burgers, and I saw several locals come in for take-out. Service was friendly and efficient. I would (and will) happily go back.

Reviewed September 23, 2011

We ate at the Old Bank Cafe, after going to the only other restaurant in Plains, and getting horrid service. We were greeted as we walked in the door by the manager and our guide from the Plains High School museum. The decor looked like they took an old bank, ripped out all the furnishings, and put in tables and chairs. Actually looked great. Even had the safe still in place.

The service was as we expected from a small Georgia town, primarily reliant on tourism. Very good.

There were four of us we ordered three cheeseburger and a bowl of potato soup. The cheeseburgers were cooked to perfection. Hot, juicy, a tad pink, cheese melted thru the burger. Absolutely delicious. Potato soup was good, as well. Just potatoes and the base, perfect amount of seasoning. All in all, a great little cafe. That could stand up to cafes in much larger cities.

Reviewed April 3, 2011

Four of us had four different items on menu and all of it was excellent - simple food never tasted so good! And the prices were from the 1970's.