Hotel Unterhof(Filzmoos)
Hotel Alpenhof(Filzmoos)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We first stayed in this hotel 21 years ago, having picked it from a brochure for its size and location. If I tell you that we have been back almost every year since - missing just 2 years for family reasons - you'll think that it must be somewhere very special, and you'll be absolutely right.
It is run by the Mayr family, who are all extremely welcoming and always make us feel like honoured guests, which is why we book for the following year before leaving at the end of our holiday. The hotel couldn't be more central, which is a bonus even in such a small village, and is gorgeously decorated in typical Austrian style.
The bedrooms are very comfortable with a huge bed, armchair, cable TV, mini bar and beautifully quiet, and the bathrooms are well equipped with plenty of space. There is a decent size swimming pool with loungers for relaxing, and a recent addition is a water feature that starts up every half hour or so and gives you a wonderful pummelling for 5 minutes. The only down side to the pool is that sometimes parents allow their small children to jump in, despite notices saying that this is not allowed. However, I have to say that on our most recent visit this did not happen at all, so maybe the message is getting through.
There is also a 'wellness suite' with sauna etc., and a fitness room, although we have never taken advantage of these.
The hotel owners also run the village butcher's shop, so perhaps it is hardly surprising that the meals in the restaurant are superb. Breakfast is from a help-yourself buffet, with a vast choice of cereals, fruit, yoghurt, cheese, ham, bread, rolls and jams, and hot food is cooked to order if required. At dinner there are usually four courses, plus a salad bar, and the service is second to none.
When you arrive at the hotel and go into the restaurant for your first meal a table is allocated to you which will be yours for the duration of your stay, so you can go into meals at any time during the restaurant's opening hours and your table is ready and waiting - usually. However, although it has happened only rarely, there have been a few occasions over the years when we have trotted in to find someone else sitting at our table, and I do find this rather distressing as we then feel under pressure to rush down to a meal sooner than we might have preferred, just to ensure we get our table. I think the problem occurs when people come in to eat from outside and just assume they can sit anywhere, and the staff don't realise what has happened. I do stress though that this is very rare and is certainly not the norm.

Room Tip: Side rooms are slightly larger, which makes up for the lack of a view.,
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Linda K
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Another wonderful stay at the Hanneshof Resort - the Mayr family and their team are so welcoming and friendly, and nothing is too much trouble. During our stay they organised a fantastic sleigh ride to our wishes, and created a specially decorated birthday cake for one of our party, even though they were in the middle of getting ready for the big gala dinner. Even a relatively late arrival was no trouble - Dinner being provided efficiently and with a welcoming smile.

The food is wonderful - Dinner is a four course + salad buffet affair, with enough choices on the mains. Vegetarians/Pescatarians are catered for - the staff always willing to substitute suitable dishes if stated options are not wide enough. Breakfast is a huge buffet, with so many different options, and a chef on hand to create omelettes/egg dishes to order.

The leisure facilities are good, although the spa facilities have moved to 'naked only' since our last stay, and are not really family friendly. The pool is a decent size for the numbers using, and is a great way to relax before dinner.

In summary, a top place to stay in a beautiful village with great food and service.

Room Tip: The village church is close by the back of the hotel - the bells start ringing at 6am, so rooms facing away from the Church are quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Walkerman1009
Reviewed September 1, 2013

i and my wife have just spent ten days in hotel hanneshof the staff are great especialy sila and voltan who is getting married to lovely ann marri in november.the food is first class and if you dont like any of the items on the menu just ask to change it .i asked for a shrimp cocktail which comes on a large glass plate full of salad and norweigan shrimps to replace the set meal and was not charged any extra. and people all around were asking why i had such a super dish .the hotel is spotless and our cleaner was second to none who really takes pride in her work once again thankyou to all for a lovelly stay....p.s.good luck to voltan and his bride to be on their wedding day..mr /mrs harry newsholme from west yorks england...

Room Tip: try first floor rooms
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Took this hotel on a last minute deal and hoped for the best. What a gem! We were actually in the apartments across the road, which turned out to be a bonus in some ways as we had a cooker, fridge and crockery etc, as well as a large room with dining area and bed settee (great as I was with my son and had a double bed to myself)! Also it was a really quiet room.
The hotel boasts an indoor swimming pool, sauna, gym etc and as an added bonus there was a sun terrace above with loungers. Lucky for us the weather was fab, so we were able to make use of this.
Probably the best part of the holiday was the hotel food- delicious home cooked dishes, beautifully presented. One night we had the farmers buffet, where there was a choice of about 6 roast meats following the biggest spread of appetisers ever. The desserts were to die for and obviously a speciality of the house, as our rep even mentioned them.
Some people mentioned in reviews that the staff were not very helpful- I can only think they must have been rude to them, as we found that everyone we dealt with was extremely friendly and couldn't do enough for us. No hesitation in recommending this place.

Room Tip: Don't worry if you are in the apartments
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Alison C
Reviewed April 14, 2013

This was the second time we came to this hotel, we came in 2012 too, but it will be the last.

No special welcome back afforded to us - which was a surprise. Later in the week at the managers reception, drinks yes, but no manager showed up!

It is a good hotel, nice facilities, swimming pool, clean rooms though the swimming pool can get busy in the evening. And the service from most staff in the restaurant cannot be faulted. We especially liked the breakfasts and afternoon cakes.

However, on our penultimate night we ate in the restuarant and 20 mins later my wife and son were being very sick - which went on all night, and I was not too good either. Next morning I mentioned it to the manager but he did not show any sympathy whatsoever. I later found out a Dutch lady dining next to us also got very sick at exactly the same time. Maybe it was food poisoning, not that my intention was to blame the hotel, but when I mentioned the fact they were sick the next morning, the owner completely ignored my comment.

Later that day I enquired with the owner about how to get a refund on ski passes as kid and wife were still sick in bed, and again later, where the nearest pharmacy was. He didn`t take either opportunity to ask if they were getting better at all or enquire about their welfare. I was astounded.

I found that a certain rudeness extended to the whole family who ran this place. The daughter who is in charge of the restaurant clearly hates her job, hates her staff and flounced off when I asked for a menu in English (which they do provide).

The rest of the waiters were very friendly, however, though I note that compared to last year there are now now Austrian staff - perhaps all the local village people got fed up with the owners and won't work there anymore?

As I say, a nice place to stay, but with impersonal owners and don't get ill or if you do, do not expect any sympathy.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family