Message from TripAdvisor:

“Azuero Ocean Lofts Stay @Los Destiladeros was Great”
Review of Ocean Lofts

Ocean Lofts
Ranked #13 of 19 Specialty Lodging in Pedasi
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We were a group of 6 (3 couples) and we rented 3 lofts: #1; #2; #4 from Tony S for 1 week. Other than a few problems with loft #2 we were overall very pleased with our stay.

Prior to our arrival Tony was very responsive to our many questions. During our stay Tony was back in the UK so his associate Julio is who we dealt with. Julio was helpful, suggesting restaurants, snorkeling spots, beaches to visit, etc. During or stay both Tony and Julio would respond fairly quickly to our emailed questions. So the lack of anyone to call upon at the condo's was no problem for us.

The Ocean Lofts are as beautiful as advertised - and generally pretty well equipped. Our group was fortunate in that we had 3 lofts to share things among. We were able to avoid some of the minor complaints other reviewers have listed.

Loft #2 had a few problems when we arrived - A/C didn't work, refrigerator ice maker didn't work, minimal kitchen equipment. Julio promptly had someone come out and fix the A/C. The ice maker never did get fixed and we worked around any kitchen equipment issues. Otherwise our overall review would have been excellent.

You might want to check out some of the nearby beaches. We liked Puerto Escondido beach. The snorkeling there wasn't bad. Also there are couple of great beaches a bit further down the same road as Puerto Escondido.

Anyway, we had a wonderful 1 week vacation at Azuero Ocean lofts. Highly recommended

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank MNBadger
There are newer reviews for Ocean Lofts

Reviewed January 30, 2012

My husband and I, our two children ages two and four, my mother-in-law and nephew age 13 stayed at the condos on the beach that are owned and letted by Villa Camilla. Villa Camilla is located further up the road away from the beach and children are not allowed in the rooms there. So they put families in condos located a little further down the road that are equipped to sleep 5. We had six and had to pay a little extra each night. It didn't occur to me until after we left that I should have asked for another mattress. Our kids slept together on a single mattress on the floor of the lower level.

I really liked this place and I think that the beach that it is on - Destiladares - and the facilities themselves are pretty great and among the nicest one can find in Panama. I do feel obligated to report up front on the extremely dangerous design incorporated into the second level of these units that could lead to a catastrophic injury if great care is not taken. Part of the upstairs bedroom is open to the space below and the barrier around it is inadequate to keep anyone from falling over it. Half of the opening is surrounded by a rail that is wide enough for my two-year old and maybe even my four-year old to squeeze through it. The other half of the opening is surrounded by what looks to be a cabinet that is maybe two-feet high. I thought the space so dangerous that I didn't let my kids even go up there. We moved the mattress from the single bed upstairs to the floor downstairs. This solved the problem for the most part except that a few times I had to run interference to keep my four-year old from going up there.

Otherwise, we really enjoyed our time in the condo, at the nearby beach, and checking out the town of Pedasi. The condo has a well-equipped, but small kitchen that made life a little easier. Although finding provisions in Pedasi is not easy. The pancake mix we bought in town turned out to be infested with bugs. There is a washing machine in the iitchen of the unit, but no dryer and no line to hang clothes. There was a coffee maker and coffee and a starter set of coffee and other fixings there waiting for us. There was also some dishwashing soap and a sponge. We found a winescrew and rustled up two wine glasses. There are lots of plates and eating utinsels. We found no napkins or paper towels.

The air conditioning worked really well and certainly added to our comfort although it did tend to get a little cold and at night the air blew right on us in bed. I wouldn't say that the unit is loud but it did drown out the sound of the waves crashing.

The best part of the unit was the bathroom which rocked. My mother-in-law didn't like the fact that there were no window coverings on the bathroom window next to the shower. I wasn't bothered by it and thought the screen and the wooden shutters did enough to deter any would-be peeping toms. There was hot water (really hot if you wanted it) that was constantly available and lots and lots of water pressure. The bathroom was huge as well. Upscale toiletries were included as a nice touch. I enjoyed getting ready in this bathroom.

The condo also had some closet space and we were able to unpack a little bit and store our luggage there out of the way. A big plus and hard to find in Panama accommodations.

The beach is amazing to look at with lots of palm trees around and soft sand. The amount of rocks and crashing waves intimidated me a bit so I didn't go swimming. I did notice that if one walks down the beach a ways past Las Posadas there is a little protected area that isn't quite as rough and may even be good snorkeling. It took awhile to get down there and I considered returning with my snorkel gear but my family was ready to go into town to look for food. At low tide there are a lot of large rock formations that are revealed each having their own oceans, rivers and streams with lots of little wildlife in them. I thought it was interesting. There are lots of interesting rocks and shells on the beach. Lots of pelicans diving in the water after fish rather close to shore. At the opposite end of the beach walking away from Posadas, there is a river that runs into the ocean.

Pedasi town is interesting and very nice. There was a trade show while we were there that included some live entertainment. I think some of that entertainment spilled out into the central part one evening we were there with someone playing the guitar and some polleras dancing around with their male escorts in typical dress. My two-year old little girl couldn't get enough of this so we lingered for awhile. There aren't many restaurants around the square surprisingly. There is a pizza place where we ate - nothing special - and a chinese restaurant that I read in Frommer's or Moon wasn't the best so we didn't try it. We did have chicheme at Dulcerias Yury which was delicious. We ate lunch at Smiley's one day and if we return would probably try out some other places for lunch. I was a little surprised that a place that boasts fresh baked bread would serve me a stale bun for my sandwhich. We had breakfast one day at the Limon cafe which was excellent. One night we got burgers to go from Villa Camilla which were very good. Dinner is served at Villa Camilla around one big table in a family dining room. We didn't partake on this since we didn't want to take our kids there and didn't find an opportunity to go ourselves. Our last night we had pizza from the bakery on the main road in town, which was decent.

Pedasi was the only place in Panama where we had some trouble finding a place to do laundry. The lavanderia on the main road next to the super was perpetually closed. We weren't that desperate to locate some of the others located off some of the lesser roads there.

We did check out some of the other beaches. Arenal next to the airport appears to be the place to go if you want to go to Isla Iguana since there are lots of boats and captains waiting to take you there and someone in the parking lot right when you pull up looking to help you arrange your trip. There is a cafe here that we also passed on since it seemed to emphasize utility over charm. The other beach is Bull Beach where there is a very cool bohio-style open-air restaurant/bar. This places also has two very clean swimming pools - one for adults and another for kids. We were the only ones in this place at the time, which I think has to do a lot with the fact that the guy managing the place at the time was blasting some type of reggae rap - believe me the worst kind of noise. We soldiered through it and enjoyed some ceviche and beers.

We didn't spend much time at Villa Camilla proper, which looks like an ultra romantic and great place to go for some relaxation and peace and quiet - hence the cabash on bringing the kids. The times I visited there I had the impression that perhaps Villa Camilla goes a little too far in isolating their guests. There were some Villa Camilla staff around the pool when we arrived but they quickly vanished. The pool area seemed to be a great place to relax for awhile with a cocktail. Unfortunately no one was around to take my order and in no time we were whisked away to our condo down the road and given really no reason to return.

I think if you are interested in checking out these condos - and I heard that not all of them have this funky and dangerous design - some of them are available at a slightly cheaper rate than we paid off the VRBO. Other than getting daily cleaning service and the much appreciated burger, we didn't have much of an opportunity to take advantage of Villa Camilla's amenities. Although if I had had more time, I would have taken the kids to their pool and tried that cocktail, since the pool at Villa Camilla has a shallow wading area and is surprisingly more kid friendly than the one at the condos which has a minimum depth of three feet and goes to five feet.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Stacie71
Reviewed January 9, 2012

We just completed five days at Ocean Lofts and it wasn't the first time..this was our third visit. We stayed in Unit #1 as we have in the past. Now I can tell you about the wi-fi, the satellite TV and the fully stocked kitchen and the how clean everything is and how the beach, with nobody on it..are mere steps away..how the pool is crystal clean and clear and sweet every day..or how the grounds are manicured to perfection. Nope.I have already done that and so has everyone else.

Let's be clear. We live in PTY year round. We work here, we live here and to maintain our sanity we need a break from the craziness of PTY.We are well experienced in the art of "getaway." Here's what I will tell you:WE have tried other properties from locally and This is THE best option to stay if you are coming to Pedasi. The road from Divisa to Las Tablas is under construction..it will be that way until Haley's Comet returns, so forgo complaints about the distance..it's worth the drive..yes, yes, 4-5 hours if all goes well..On our way home we were held up for 20 minutes as a herd of cattle were driven down the main blacktop road to Los Santos by two cowboys on horseback..it was like being on the set of Rawhide. anything can happen..The road leading into the complex has been repaired to an amazing degree of quality, way above the usual Panamanian standard..that's a good thing.

I used the week for writing, resting, beach walking, a little gourmet cooking, thanks for the great stove Tony but most of all connecting with peace and quiet. In the morning every kind of birdsong will waken you..the distant thunder isn't thunder..that's the surf coming in..at night there are at least 1,987, 587, 321 stars out..< see? I counted them...At Ocean Lofts we don't have to worry about the Ye-Ye's with the salsa loud music until the wee hours, or fireworks until 3am, or the 5 dogs that they brought along barking..there are rules and people who will enforce them..so that everyone can enjoy their visit..and that's an important point if you live here or are just visiting Panama...it's a cultural thing..

So, as long as our Ocean Loft apartment amenities remain in their usual great state of repair; the kitchen stays totally stocked (even had a wine opener) and nobody moves the beach any further out to sea..this is THE place for us...2-3 times per year. The value is the escape and it's worth the money..the drive can be long..so stop in Aguadulce or Penonome or Los Santos and do some shopping or plan a meal there..but any drive is worth the trip to this part of Pedasi.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank russ2005
Reviewed January 8, 2012

We stayed in loft #1 and had a great time. We were 5 and had plenty of space. The lofts are very well designed, comfortable, and clean. They are also very well equipped, nice appliances, TV, wi-fi, AC, towels. The kitchen had everything you would need for a comfortable stay. The beach is a short walk away, about 50 yards. The pool is small but nice. The lofts are about 10 Km from the town, so I would recommend a car. If serenity is what you are looking for, the Lofts are the place to be. If you are more into walking and enjoying coffee shops, restaurants and the town life, I would recommend staying in the town of Pedasi.
I recommend visiting Toro Beach and speaking with Sr. Cabezas. I would also recommend Arenales Beach, where you can catch a ride with the local fishermen to Isla Iguana, a must while in Pedasi. We will definitely visit Pedasi again and highly recommend the Ocean Lofts. Tony, the owner, was great to deal with.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank C B
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Reading the reviews posted by previous guest tonight as I was looking for things to do in pedasi and around the area.

I must agree with everyone who says it's GREAT.

Yes, you have to drive 4-5 hours from Panama City, but that is clearly stated to you if you ask or read another person's post. It is worth the drive, you have serenity and peace, but close enough to town to drive in for basic needs and local favor.

We are in unit #4 and the wifi connection in our room and power outlets were out this morning and were repaired in one hour.

The walk from our unit to the beach is approximately 100 yds, next door to Loft 3, so you judge if that is too far of a walk. I live on the Gulf of Mexico and can tell you, 100 yds walk for $195 a night is cheap.

The loft is advertised as less is more, this is a universe we all live in and need to consume less. Everything is the most fine wood, tile and marble from the area and precise. You only need basics when the WORLD of NaATURE awaits you right out the front door.

The securtiy is beyond the best. They greeted us at the gate at Midnight, unloaded our luggage, put us on a golf cart and then unloaded our luggage and helped us see with flashlights up steps. It's the best bell service I've ever had, and I've traveled.

Many more reviews to come as our trp continues....

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank April L
Reviewed December 30, 2011

We had the greatest time at the Ocean Lofts, can't recommend it highly enough and would definitely like to come back. The lofts are beautiful, very clean and nice. The grounds are lovely and maintained so nicely. It is a short walk to the beach which has great swimming when the surf isn't too high. My kids loved playing and swimming in the water, and it seemed very safe. There is also a little pool which they loved. Pedasi is a nice little town with friendly people and nice places to eat. We are traveling to several other places in Panama, but I think it will be hard to beat the Ocean Lofts.

We had a problem when we checked in - the security guard had let someone else into our rooms. Via email, we contacted Tony, who instantly fixed the problem by getting the other person out, cleaning the room, and getting us installed. He refunded one night's stay, and then organized a free trip to Isla Iguana for snorkeling and swimming, which was great. Tony was very concerned about us, and worked hard to fix everything. I don't think the security guard incident was anything Tony could control, but he did everything he could to be sure we had a great stay - and we did!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Amy Z
Reviewed December 29, 2011

I'm sorry to disagree with the a previous post... I did stay in loft #3, and my experience was no different than great. First of all, I didn't travel that far to stay in the room. Nice breeze, amazing sun, great beach, excellent view. There was so much to do outside that I didn't even remember about my TV or my laptop.

We went in a family trip, and we had a celebration in the pool area. It couldn't be better. All friends and family agreed that the experience at Ocean Loft was unrepeatable.

I don't know if the guest who complaint is aware of what Minimalistic style implies... but it's usually described as "less is more". I was more than pleased with the "simple" decoration: it was modern and elegant. Bet it's more luxurious than his own home. The bed was so comfortable that I didn't miss my own bed at all (Let's say I didn't sleep that much either).

About service, I don't have complaints of any of the 2 days I spent there.

I totally recommend the place. In fact, I'm planning to repeat the visit during summer with my husband and some friends.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family