“A place you need to vist!”
Review of Hacienda del Mar

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Jose Island
Hacienda del Mar
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in San Jose Island
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I surprised my wife for her birthday and took her to Hacienda del Mar with the kids, the experience was incredible in all aspects. I really recommend that you visit this incredible place on earth. All the staff from reservations,management,restaurant and bar made us feel at home and was the best surprise that we could give my wife. Thank you Hacienda del Mar for beeing part of the surprise team for the birthday celebration.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Hacienda del Mar is a high ticket rustic resort on a paradisaical deserted island located on the Pacific Ocean, some 60 miles from Panama City, Panama, I use the word "rustic" because there is nothing fancy about the installations. The cabins have air conditioning, hot water, clean sheets, and a clean bathroom. And that's it.

The island has some 50 miles of dirt roads that cut thru the tropical rain forest. You can rent an ATV and enjoy watching birds, feral pigs, and assorted critters. The view from the hotel is fantastic. There is a nice beach of white sand next to the resort. The food is decent if you stick to the fresh catch of the day. The pool has somewhat murky water delivered from a local river. You can also rent a rather run down boat and very probably have a wonderful day of fishing. You might get lucky and run into a great deal of fish, including tuna and sailfish.

So far so good. You have spent a lot of money, you start to relax being away from a cell phone connection, a TV, Internet, your soul starts thanking you for the awesome view and the peace and quiet... and then zillions of voracious no-see-ums attack. And then you just want to leave the island in a hurry. No-see-ums seem to prefer ladies, but only slightly. Pretty naked legs and arms are gifted with hundreds of nasty, nasty bites by the end of the day. No-see-ums are relentless, day after day, all year around, all day long but they are absolutely unbearable early in the morning and late at night. And no one seems to care to do anything about them; it is offensive.

Hacienda del Mar in Panama is a wonderful place to visit if you are one to enjoy extremes. Extreme beauty... and extreme pain.

Room Tip: The "suites" by the ocean are the best.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank rsachs24
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I recently was a guest of the hacienda Del Mar, I had flown down from David Panama via Air Panama on one of their new jets. The flight down was so smooth and just as we hit our cursing altitude we began our decent! Just a twenty five minute flight sure beat a six hour drive. Upon arival at the albrook airport we boarded a twin engine turbo otter for the twenty minute flight to San Jose Island. The view and flight was spectacular, smooth and cloudless. We landed on the islands 5000' grass field built by the Us. Army years ago. A short ride in the hotels air conditioned van got us to the hotel for check in. I was so impressed with the beauty of the drive from the air field to the hotel, not a single piece of paper or litter was seen. The rooms were spotless, not extravagant but very comfortable, all with cold air and a nice bathroom. The staff was very friendly and the infinity pool must be seen to be believed. The view is specular of the off shore islands. Macaws and Toucans everywhere some can be hand fed. food was great so think I have found my new fishing paradise.

Room Tip: As in all the pacific islands, bring some bug spray as they do appear early in the morning and in th...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank maynardjw
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I immensely enjoyed our stay at this hotel. Our cabin was rustic, no TV, no telephone, no WiFi in the room (only around the pool and restaurant area), yet very intelligently and generously decorated. Mattresses are very comfortable and showers are good. The service and kitchen are excellent. We enjoyed the snorkeling tour of the beaches, the half day frisking trip and the four wheeler tour of the island. This place is heaven and the perfect place to rest and recover, and still have lots of fun.

Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Cedar32
Reviewed October 30, 2013

The food was above expectations, the service and attenttion was above expectations, the room over the sea were awesome, although much bigger than needed...but hey, it was great. Inside bar great, pool was great, the view is fan tas tic....our guests compared it only second to Phuket. Keep the widlife coming. Boat fising trip rentals seemed steep. Very enjoyable, watch out for the sand flies at sunset...they are a menace...lather with the provided soap...it works!!!

Watch where you wonder, unexploded ordenance from WWII tests still in site. Will be back.

Room Tip: room 14 has great view
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Some of the if not the most beautiful hotel setting of any of the 32 countries and 200+ cities I have visited... only Pha Nag Bay Thailand comes to mind as a close comparison .

The views are all post card quality but for an extra special treat get cabin 11 or 12 out over the rocks on stilts..

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KPS92-5
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Landing on the grassy runway lets you know you have arrived at a private exclusive island/resort. The drive to the resort is breath taking giving us a snapshot of the wildlife, fruits...we see later in the trip. We were received at the resort by Toucans and Parrots all in the wild and so pretty and sounds to sooth your soul. The property is meticulously maintained and we were greeted with a fruit drink, delightful, yummy I see the ocean all around us! The beautifully decorated and furnished rooms are complete with amenities and all of which have access and visibility of the ocean, wow. We have landed in paradise.
This resort has Boating and Fishing, Hiking, ATV, jeeps, and trucks for exploring the island, relaxation by the Infinity pool, jacuzzi by the ocean or on one of the 54 beaches, some are very private.
The wildlife roam freely making for an excellent safari type experience by day and by night, we did both and it was AMAZING.
Many foods are Organically grown and served to you. The cashews, honey, and mangos are examples of what is harvested right there. The fish is in abundance in the ocean and for your meals. The food all together is presented beautifully and in abundance. EVERYTHING we ate was delicious.
We chose a fishing experience for the day and that it was! We saw over 20 whales of which 7 whales breached very close and 3 of the 7 fully breached. 2 whales layed on there backs and lifted there fins and slapped them down on the water, beautiful! I honestly didn't even know whales were there. My husband and I were traveling with 2 friends and we all found this "special". Now, we were fishing while all the whale activity was happening and the dolphins swimming and jumping along side the boat. Mahi, Mahi, Trigger fish, and 26 Albacore Tuna to finish the day, WOW!! Yes, we ate fresh fish and sushi elegantly and deliciously prepared.
The next day my husband was popping for 8-10 lb Snapper and mahi mahi while I enjoyed photographing the wildlife, the pool, the ocean, appetizers and delicious island refreshments.
I highly recommend this trip. Obviously, I wanted to share all the experiences. Don't get me wrong, laying by the pool or in one of the hammocks receiving excellent care and service the entire trip would be beautiful also. I did that one day.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Liz950

Been to Hacienda del Mar? Share your experiences!