“Great Pie, so glad we stopped by”

Bobkat's Purple Pie Place
Ranked #1 of 3 Dessert in Custer
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed July 31, 2010

I researched Trip Advisor prior to our trip to South Dakota, and noted this place as a possible option for a light meal/dessert. We ended up driving by the place on our trip to Jewel cave and was so happy we popped in.

As others have said, the pie is fantastic. They offer pie hot or cold, ala mode, and offer ice cream separately. We had peach, apple ala mode and ice cream. Wonderful is all I can say. Make sure you ask to heat your slice.

1  Thank Ubet
Write a ReviewReviews (1,358)

Reviewed July 26, 2010

Our family had dinner- French dip and pastrami sandwiches, and macaroni and cheese. The beef in the French dip was wonderful! The macaroni, was well,,, not as good, but still edible. Hubby had cherry pie which was delightful. Nice Experience!

1  Thank wrenster7
Reviewed July 26, 2010

A slice of their peanut butter pie and a caramel sundae helped wash away the very bad tast of another Custer restaurant. The Purple Pie Place saved what would've otherwise been a bad dining experience night in Custer. The pie was delicious but very rich, I'd suggest sharing with someone. The DH said the sundae was great. The prices were a little high but I guess its to be expected for a tourist destination. They were jam packed and that proves their popularity and is great for the restaurant - not so great when you have to wait in a long line but it was worth it. Most of the staff are made up of I assume the owner's kids and local high school kids - quick and capable but as is typical for teens not always the most conscientious. We had to wait to pay for our order while a young server complained about another customer to the man (owner?) running the cash register. But they are kids and it is basically just an ice cream shop not a 5 star restauarant so we employed a little patience, no biggie.

Reviewed July 12, 2010

I tried Rhubarb pie for the first time here. It was very good, but I'll stick with my favorite Blueberry Crumb. Custer has a fairly small main street, but it's full of neat shops. This ice cream and pie place hits the spot for the vacation sweet treat. The Ice Cream "ain't" bad either. Plus it was just down the road from our hotel (the Holiday Inn Express). I didn't try the food, just the sweets!

Reviewed July 8, 2010

So simple; I don't know why everyone isn't doing this. Hand make a fantastic product, sell it for a fair price and stay open late for the hoards of people buying what you're selling. Purple Pie Place makes great pie judging by the strawberry rhubarb pie a la mode that I devoured tonight. I also bought a whole Bumbleberry pie to take home.
It isn't easy to find really honest good food in a tourist zone, but if it's pie you want, this place delivers.
Let's all support the purveyors of quality food.