“Perfect location & great cabin-style accommodations.”
Review of Rock Crest Lodge

Rock Crest Lodge
Ranked #8 of 24 Specialty Lodging in Custer
Reviewed October 5, 2009

We stayed in a cabin (#209) away from the main street. The lodge rooms may be less expensive but it's worth a few extra bucks for a cabin - nice porch to sit & relax outside, clean room with enough space, nothing frilly. We recommend the Sage Creek Grill for dinner, just down the street about 2 miles. Awesome.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Rock Crest Lodge

Reviewed September 29, 2009

Two thumbs up, no doubt. This place was excellent, specifically for the price ($80ish w/tax per night). I'm afraid to write too great of a review because I dont want people catching on to what a great place this is and having it be booked the next time I want to head out there!! :)

Very nice people running the front desk. Stayed in the hotel rooms in a queen bed room which included a minifridge, microwave, coffee maker and wet bar. Nice little 2 person table in our room and flat screen TV. Beautiful wood work around the room, including ceiling. Ice machine was on the property also, which seemed like a luxury to us after staying at other smaller hotels that didn't offer that amenity. Simply a steal for the price compared to the larger chains in the area. Having a walk out room that you park your car right in front of is great. Made unpacking, packing and other little trips to the car a breeze. If you stay 3 nights or more you can a pass to Custer State Park which saves you about $15 (don't miss the Wildlife Loop and Sylvan Lake). Can't beat that. And the pass is good for about a week or more.

Custer is also a great location to get to everything if you want to set up a home base to come back to every night. I booked my reservation online which was very easy and I received confirmation from them on several occasions, which is a huge plus because when you do things online sometimes you're not always sure if it took.

There was an outside pool and hottub. And several resturants in walking distance. A breakfast of bagels, juice, toast, cereal, etc. was offered which was great. Can't wait to go back!!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2009

My title gives you a hint of my only real problem with the place. Location right on 16A there IS highway noise, esp. in the morning, but almost anything in Custer proper will have the same issue . Don't think anything can solve that problem. Now on to the review. This motel is now run by the custer resorts . Pat and Lauri at the front desk were great. Lauri, had lots of tips about the area. (Thanx for helping me with the wine !)
I had made my reservation a couple of months in advance and when i got there, i asked about AAA rates and got 15/night off my rate.

I stayed in cabin 201. a hot tub cabin (note there IS a hot tub at the motel for all to use, down by the pool - i don't recall that info on the website)
Website warned of cabin access so i was prepared to carry my bags.

I was a little disappointed as this had a kitchenette but they did not provide any dishsoap, dishes, real glasses, or even a dishcloth - folks that fly into the area can't be expected to pack that kind of stuff. I went to family dollar and the town thrift store (the woman at the pharmacy let me in on that info- i was looking for a real glass!) and got a few things , set me back about $10 (so no biggie).

Cabin was VERY clean. comfy at the far end of the complex. parking was interesting!
Only used the fireplace for heat in the evening. turned it off before going to bed. Heater in bathroom worked well, as did the hairdryer. plenty of towels, soap etc., TV had really good channel selection, better than most hotels!

Hot tub was good and worth the extra $, as the hot tub for the complex closed by 7:30pm. I wasn't back from hiking by then.
Custer State Park Pass situation was ok since it was off season, i used it everyday i was there. I can see it being an issue in the summer. Being that this is a custer resort property maybe this can be "fixed" for next season. compared to the other hotels that i saw in town, this looked the best to me! I liked the easy access to "down town" custer. Some times convenience is a good thing! I would recommend Rock Crest to anyone. I wouldn't recommend the cabins to anyone with walking issues but the motel rooms at road level would be easily used by anyone with those types of issues. you would even be able to walk to the continental breakfast at the office.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank PALsIMHO
Reviewed September 21, 2009

My wife and i stayed here on 9-12-09 for 4 nights in cabin 212. first the good stuff. the cabin had a fridge,micro,king size bed,fireplace,sitting area,bath with shower,covered porch,and an outdoor hot tub.the room came with soaps,coffie maker,hair dryer,and tv. the location was up on the hill and space apart from other cabins was good enough so you are not on top of each other.the property is located on main street in custer within walking distance to restaurants,shopping,ice cream,gas station,and grocery store.Crazyhorse is a 10 min drive away,custer state park is 10 min away, mt rushmore is 30 min . deadwood is 45 min, the badlands is about an hour and a half. From rapid city its about 30 min.Devils tower would be about 2 hours.Housekeeping always keep the place looking clean and replaced things as needed. Enjoyed the towel art they left for us. Staff was always ready to help if needed. The ice machine was in the motel in the 3rd room from the lobby. easy to get at on the way out or in. the common area had a pool and spa that we did not use. abundant wildlife in the area deer frequently spotted on the grounds.

now the bad--- to access some of the cabins you have to walk up a narrow 3 foot gravel path on a steep incline. this makes rolling a suitcase imposable . You will have to carry it.. This is before you walk up the set of stairs you read about on the website .

Next is the free custer state pass they offer for a 3 night or more stay. The pass they give you is one of the 5 season passes the lodge has. This is a problem if you want to use the pass for the park on a certain day and all 5 passes are taken. We did not have a problem with this however we were there on the off season. During peak season i could see how this could cause some major problems.

last, For some reason there was no iron or iron board.

All in all the pros far outweigh the cons and the cons are nitpicking at best. The rock crest is a great place to stay for comfort,location,and relaxation. You cant go wrong here. i highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mountiamsandcanyons
Reviewed September 17, 2009

Stayed for 3 nights in one of the cabins. Very clean and nicely appointed. Very happy that we chose to stay here and plan to come again. The staff is friendly and helpful - allowed us to switch to a different cabin that we liked better. The location is very close to Mt Rushmore and Custer State Park. Highly recommend visiting Custer State - Buffalo, Antelope and awesome scenery.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank r&pDenver
Reviewed August 11, 2009

I travel to the Black Hills every year or so to visit my family. This year I decided to make more of a "vacation" out of it and stay in Custer for a few days. Rock Crest Lodge will be a place we return to again. The staff was extremely friendly. Fresh baked cookies on arrival - what a nice touch!
The cabin we stayed in was one of the cleanest rooms I have ever stayed in. The table and chairs on the deck was perfect for enjoying a bottle of wine while listening to the sounds of nature. We arrived at our cabin one afternoon to find a deer grazing next to our steps. My daughter enjoyed roaming around the hill behind the cabins, climbing on rocks, etc.
Location is very convenient also!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank ferris30
Reviewed July 31, 2009

the title says it all. The lodge was quiet, with a cabin feel; pines and cedars out back. A great and friendly staff (Pat and Dave). They were helpful with tips and very friendly. It's a very accomodating place to stay!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Custer
Comfort Inn & Suites Custer
Bavarian Inn, Black Hills
K Bar S Lodge
K Bar S Lodge
#1 of 13 in Keystone

Been to Rock Crest Lodge? Share your experiences!