“Nice cabins great location”
Review of Rock Crest Lodge

Rock Crest Lodge
Ranked #9 of 24 Specialty Lodging in Custer
Reviewed September 17, 2009

Stayed for 3 nights in one of the cabins. Very clean and nicely appointed. Very happy that we chose to stay here and plan to come again. The staff is friendly and helpful - allowed us to switch to a different cabin that we liked better. The location is very close to Mt Rushmore and Custer State Park. Highly recommend visiting Custer State - Buffalo, Antelope and awesome scenery.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank r&pDenver

Reviewed August 11, 2009

I travel to the Black Hills every year or so to visit my family. This year I decided to make more of a "vacation" out of it and stay in Custer for a few days. Rock Crest Lodge will be a place we return to again. The staff was extremely friendly. Fresh baked cookies on arrival - what a nice touch!
The cabin we stayed in was one of the cleanest rooms I have ever stayed in. The table and chairs on the deck was perfect for enjoying a bottle of wine while listening to the sounds of nature. We arrived at our cabin one afternoon to find a deer grazing next to our steps. My daughter enjoyed roaming around the hill behind the cabins, climbing on rocks, etc.
Location is very convenient also!

1  Thank ferris30
Reviewed July 31, 2009

the title says it all. The lodge was quiet, with a cabin feel; pines and cedars out back. A great and friendly staff (Pat and Dave). They were helpful with tips and very friendly. It's a very accomodating place to stay!

Reviewed July 30, 2009

My husband and I, along with our four children, stayed at Rock Crest Lodge for 4 nights in July 2009 and were very pleased. The motel rooms have been nicely renovated and were very clean (and I am pretty picky). This place almost feels more like a Bed and Breakfast because the owners/managers are so nice. They welcomed us warmly every morning (complimentary breakfast had a nice variety of items) and answered all our questions patiently. We loved our stay in Custer! Custer State Park was wonderful, seeing Wild Bill Hickok in Deadwood was entertaining, Mount Rushmore is awe inspiring! Try to stop in at The Up-In-Smoke Diner in Lead,SD (right down the way from Deadwood), nice people run the diner and the restaurants in Deadwood make enough money.

Reviewed July 3, 2009

We thought about staying in a cabin since the reviews were very good and the cabins sound as though they are new. In the end we went with a room in the "lodge". At first I was nervous after reading the reviews saying the rooms in the lodge were outdated. But the pictures on the Rock Crest website looked great. After talking to the manager on the phone I found out that the lodge rooms had been completely remodeled within the past year. So we booked a lodge room and were not disappointed.

We got a great rate and loved having a separate bedroom from the living room. There was also a small kitchenette with a mini-fridge, microwave, sink, cupboards & generous counter area. The room had nice furniture and flat screen tv. The ceiling was pine and the rooms had a nice northwoods/lodge feel. A basic continental breakfast is included with the price of the room. We liked the central location of Custer. We didn't hear any road noise or noise from adjoining rooms during our 4-night stay. I would highly recommend, we felt it was a great deal.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank BostonJayhawk
Reviewed July 4, 2008

We had a tough time deciding on a hotel or cabin, then opted for the cabin here at Rock Crest. There was something very appealing about them when we looked on the internet, and we thought for three days it would be nice to have kitchen facilities. We were not disappointed. We had a fabulous time here. Rock Crest is easy to find in Custer - in fact, everything is pretty much on one main road. The cabins are up on the hill, so you have a nice view of the area. Ours was cabin #209, and I'd select that one in a second. It had easy parking in front, and for some reason, this one and another was $10 cheaper. Clean and new. Two comfortable queen beds, a table for four, a microwave, refrig, TV, beautiful bathroom, and a table on the front porch completed the setup. It was perfect, and perfectly located too. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful during our trip.

If your planning on visiting the Mt. Rushmore area, you'll find Custer to be ideally situated. If you arrive in Rapid City first, see Mt. Rushmore, then head for Custer to check into Rock Crest. Crazy Horse is 5 minutes away, and you'll not only have time to see it in the afternoon, you'll even be able to return for the night show that is included (any three days) from the date of your ticket. This location can get you easily to Jewel Cave and Wind Cave, and these you can see in one day. Tours vary according to how long and how much of a challenge you desire in your caving experience.

A third day we spent driving thru Custer state park (bring a picnic lunch - the park is big) and then headed for Hot Springs to take advantage of Evan's Plunge for a refreshing swim. You can rent towels there for $2.00 each, and they give you a AAA discount if you have it. I found the springs solved another problem of mine - I had pain in my neck and shoulder that I couldn't seem to relieve with any hot tub in a hotel before we arrived - that went away in about an hour or so after swimming there. There is something about that mineral water there. We also saw the Mamouth site that afternoon - all of this taking our time. You'll find sites are easy to get to and don't take long to see (except Custer State Park - give yourself several hours here). My son particularly loved seeing the buffalo.

That night we didn't see any place we wanted to eat in Hot Springs, so we drove back to Custer and went to the Sage Creek Grill. This was the best meal we had the entire week we were away. Service is outstanding, food is excellently prepared and we absolutely enjoyed it. The problem was that we found it on the last night of our stay! They are closed on Sunday's.
We also ate at the Dark Horse earlier, which was fine.

You'll find staying at the Rock Crest gives you the option of having lunch at your cabin - Subway and Quizno's are both in town and we enjoyed the sandwiches we purchased at the DakotaMart. Breakfast provided by the lodge is minimal - you may want to purchase cereal or breakfast items and enjoy them at the cabin - a bit more relaxing too. There is a gas station and convenience store right across the street.

We needed to do laundry while we were there - and I'll highly recomend doing it at Tina's Tanning and The Lost Sock Laundromat. You'll find the combination video store, tanning salon and laundromat a highlight on your trip - two of the funniest ladies were working there when we were there and were absolutely delightful to chat to. They even gave my son some free popcorn while we waited for our laundry to be done.

We made reservations and ate one night at the Fort Hays Chuckwagon Supper and Show, found just outside of Rapid City.
Great show and a good price - we got there a little late to look around but very much enjoyed the food and musical entertainment.

We also had some pie at the Purple Pie shop and found it excellent!

The Black Hills are a pretty big area and I'll admit, I found the maps at times confusing. Staying at Custer made it much easier as we found signs easily getting us to where we needed to go, and it is pretty centrally located. Three days in Custer will allow you plenty of time to see Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Wind Cave, Jewel Cave, Custer State Park, Evan's Plunge, the Mamouth site, and an evening or two at a one of the Chuckwagon dinner shows.

Do bring a sweatshirt and some long pants - if your exploring caves, you'll need them unless you really like the cold. It also gets chilly at night around here. Weather changes quickly - my husband very much enjoyed the sudden thunderstorm and hail one evening from our porch at the cabin.

Stay at the Rock Crest and your vacation will be memorable!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
22  Thank newjerseyfamily
Reviewed June 25, 2008

The cabins are a great place to stay! My review is about the cabins.
During the day I would walk down by the lodge and some of the doors were open so I could see the rooms looked very small and the lodge looks like it is from the 50's or 60's. The cabins were very large and in the morning deer would walk past grazing. The only thing that some people would not like about the cabins is the fact that there are stairs to climb and ours was on a steep grade, so if you have problems walking or knee problems the cabins could be difficult to access. For me and the kids it was great to just sit out on the porch and admire the scenery and have lunch or a drink. It was just the best place to stay in the area.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank CathyfromFonduLac
Also consider these accommodations in or near Custer
Holiday Inn Express Custer
K Bar S Lodge
K Bar S Lodge
#1 of 13 in Keystone
Super 8 Custer/Crazy Horse Area

Been to Rock Crest Lodge? Share your experiences!