“A Beer Snobs Paradise”
Review of Bitter Esters Brewhouse - CLOSED

Bitter Esters Brewhouse
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, Brew Pub
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: We are a brewpub in Custer, SD specializing in brewing handcrafted ales, Locally raised Beef and buffalo burgers, great homemade snacks, and Specialty sandwiches using local and seasonal ingredients. We have a large craft beer list to compliment the ales we brew onsite. Its a quiet place to bring your family and friends to enjoy the craft of the black hills
hot springs, sd
“A Beer Snobs Paradise”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I admit, I'm a beer snob. This is why I loved Bitter Esters. Came across the little restaurant after we ate at Sage Creek (always great food) and bought the sampler of the on-site brews. Particularly loved Red Medicine, even though I'm mostly a pale ale and porter drinker. The stout was really good too and the pale ale, while not my favorite, was nicely done. Didn't try the food yet, so rated it for the beer. The menu looks good: some unique items as well as ordinary and a lot of variety for a small, rural restaurant The beer selection was amazing; in addition to the home brews, a huge list of bottled and a handful of drafts, and not your ordinary beers; they had Old Rasputin and Monks Cafe and something called Hopsession and that is just a tiny sample. Everything from wheats and blondes to porters and stouts, also a sour ale and a barley wine! I wish I could drink more than two beers in an evening because I want to go back and try everything!

• Visited August 2012

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“Favorite place in Custer”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Originally, my husband and I picked Bitter Ester's because it didn't have much of a wait to be seated--and sometimes that can be a bad thing. We were delighted with their beer/cider/wine list and they had several good choices for dinner. Their food menu is pretty basic--burgers and one meal salad--but the offerings are tasty. We each opted for a specialty burger, all of which can be made with beef, bison, chicken or veggie burger for the same price. The staff was knowledgeable and adeptly fielded our questions about their beer/cider options. We both enjoyed our choices. Their house made desserts were excellent--we had a Guinness chocolate layer cake with Bailey's buttercream icing. I wish they could ship me a slice for my birthday!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Carina A
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Neat little place”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Nice spot for a brew but limited in choices. Ordered the Buffalo burger and was disappointed as it was way overcooked and dry. Not good for the high price and you only get chips.

1 Thank DLC622
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Neat little find in Custer”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

This is a new brewery, loved the Red Medicine. We also tried several of the other bottles and cans they had from the area. Not many tables to sit at, but there is a long bar that they let our 7 year old sit at. The burgers were pretty good, kettle chips excellent. Hubby had the buffalo burger and he said it was very good. Also the chicken sandwich was tasty too. Neat little place in Custer for some tasty beer.

Rochester, Michigan
“Really Liked this Little Brew Pub”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

My family (husband, four grandsons, daugher, son-in-law and I) ate dinner here one night during our stay in Custer State Park. The restaurant is very small, sort of long and narrow; and it was difficult to find a place for eight people to eat together. However, we managed with some of us standing and some of us sitting until we were able to find places reasonably close to each other. We had pizzas and the green bean appetizer, all of which were very good. This brew pub has not been open very long, but my husband, daughter, and son-in-law enjoyed tasting the beers. They did not have a large wine selection, but I was able to find a chardonnay which was very pleasant. We met a local couple at the bar who engaged us in conversation and who actually are the ones who shared their green been appetizer with us. I can't actually put my finger on why I liked this little brew pub so much, but I wish them well in their endeavors.