“Very friendly staff, quaint motel, good value.”
Review of Dakota Cowboy Inn

Dakota Cowboy Inn
Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Custer
Reviewed September 6, 2010

We stayed two nights and really liked the motel. Manager is very friendly, and I was charged correctly for two adults/one child. My guess is Mr 'bait and switch' was hoping to get away with not paying the extra FOUR DOLLORS a night per child, or did not read that the extra person charge was not yet added onto what was showing as the total. Yes, the motel is a bit older, the pool is small, and it's on the main street (so are most of the other motel/hotels). They do have cable and Wifi, you can walk to a number of resturants, and there is a great Putt Putt golf course right across the street.
We stayed in the Annex part of the motel, I would suggest requesting the second floor, but I do that everywhere. Our room was very clean with a nice little fridge, the walls are a little thin but we were so tired we all slept well. So, if you want to spend twice as much money across the street at the newer places, do. I prefer to spend $$ on doing things.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank lovetotravel_80504

Reviewed August 26, 2010

This motel had a very friendly atmosphere. My kids enjoyed the playing in the pool every day, but as a side note we didn't know where the pool towels were until the 3rd day of our stay (when I finally asked). The breakfast was pretty much standard for a continental with an added treat of real butter! I have a N wireless card on my laptop and I was able to get a N signal which was either excellent or good both in my room and on the pool deck. My family stayed in the annex building which was for the most part quite (a few motorcycles woke me up in the morning as they were leaving). The room was clean and we got fresh towels every day...they even felt soft which kind of reminded me of home. The office had all the literature we needed to find our way around the different tourist sites. We even got a recommendation from the front desk manager to see the laser show at Crazy Horse which turned out to be one of our favorite experiences during our stay.
Honestly you can't beat the value.
Next time we are looking to stay in Custer we will look no further than the Cowboy Inn!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank MrStevenP
Reviewed August 18, 2010

Booked a room directly via www.americasbestvalue.com website for the Dakota Cowboy Inn and specifically specified 2 adults and 2 children and paid for the 3 night stay in advanced.

However, when we got there, they wanted $8.00 additional PER NIGHT for my children to boost my total cost by $24.00 for my stay. Total bait and switch with no viable alternative . At that point, we were stuck with having to pay the additional fee OR incur a cancellation penalty equal to the first night's stay. The front desk clerk wouldn't budge. Nice start to my 3 night stay at a small town of 1,800.

We were sent to a room in a separate building next to the main building. It looked newer and was clean but that's about the only good thing about this hotel.

Good:
- Situated on the single main street in Custer, SD.
- Room was clean.
- Was able to park almost right outside the room door.

Bad:
- SQUEAKING and CREAKY upstairs rooms. If you're a light sleeper and your upstairs neighbor has heavy footsteps, you WILL wake up.
- Noisy externally mounted air conditioner.
- OLD, old towels that has definitely seen better days.
- Sheets weren't changed daily and no option to force a daily change (to be honest, I didn't call the front desk to request a daily sheet change option either)
- Because you're able to park right outside your room, your neighbors packing up in the morning will probably wake you up if you attempt to sleep late.

Would I recommend you stay at THIS motel? NO! There are other alternatives on this main street, including a Holiday Inn Express almost right across the street that looks pretty nice.

If you don't take my recommendation and do decide to stay at this place, try to stay in an upstairs unit or if you get stuck in a downstairs unit, request one AWAY from the stairs leading up to the second floor. This is based on MY stay in the building that's separated from the main building. Your mileage may vary if your room is in the main building.

Finally, no mention of continental breakfasts or wi-fi access that other reviewers had mentioned back in 2009.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Mr_Anon_10
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Nothing spectacular about this hotel. Large, clean rooms - okay beds. Bathrooms could use some updating. Staff was very friendly and helpful. We didn't use the pool (because of a rainstorm) but had fun with the croquet/min-golf course on site. The restaurant next door served a great breakfast at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank rumneyc
Reviewed September 8, 2009

We spend our first two night in Custer at the Dakota Cowboy. We should have just walked away when we were inquiring about a room, we asked what they had available and the price and the desk clerk wouldn't give us an answer about the price, just kept looking to see if there were rooms (there were plenty that were not occupied). Room was o.k., but when we moved to another location, the new motel was much better and friendlier staff.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2009

My husband and I stayed 1 night and were disappointed since there were so many good reviews. This motel did have free wi-fi and an outdoor swimming pool next to the main street in town.

There were cigarette burns in the bedspread and I found a used shampoo bottle on the shelf in the bathroom. When someone ran water or flushed the toilet in another room, our shower water turned frigid. Someone who stayed in the room before us broke or spilled a bottle of cologne and the scent was over-powering.

We did like the fact that we parked right outside our room, the wi-fi was free and the room was fairly cheap.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wrldpeac
Reviewed July 28, 2009

All of the other hotels were booked the night we arrived - it was pricey for the room...

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family