“Average hotel, friendly staff.”
Review of Dakota Cowboy Inn

Dakota Cowboy Inn
Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Custer
Plano, Texas
“Average hotel, friendly staff.”
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Nothing spectacular about this hotel. Large, clean rooms - okay beds. Bathrooms could use some updating. Staff was very friendly and helpful. We didn't use the pool (because of a rainstorm) but had fun with the croquet/min-golf course on site. The restaurant next door served a great breakfast at a reasonable price.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank rumneyc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Saskatoon
Reviewed September 8, 2009

We spend our first two night in Custer at the Dakota Cowboy. We should have just walked away when we were inquiring about a room, we asked what they had available and the price and the desk clerk wouldn't give us an answer about the price, just kept looking to see if there were rooms (there were plenty that were not occupied). Room was o.k., but when we moved to another location, the new motel was much better and friendlier staff.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Custer hotels

Blue Springs, Missouri
Reviewed August 21, 2009

My husband and I stayed 1 night and were disappointed since there were so many good reviews. This motel did have free wi-fi and an outdoor swimming pool next to the main street in town.

There were cigarette burns in the bedspread and I found a used shampoo bottle on the shelf in the bathroom. When someone ran water or flushed the toilet in another room, our shower water turned frigid. Someone who stayed in the room before us broke or spilled a bottle of cologne and the scent was over-powering.

We did like the fact that we parked right outside our room, the wi-fi was free and the room was fairly cheap.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wrldpeac
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 28, 2009

All of the other hotels were booked the night we arrived - it was pricey for the room...

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed July 7, 2009

Dont let the dark picture fool you, this hotel was great, very clean and a the staff was very friendly and helpful, rooms were very clean and the hotel is conveniently located, restaurant on site with a gift shop, we were less than 10 minutes from Crazy Horse and about 25 from Mt. Rushmore, they offer a continental breakfast in the morning, it is a large piece of property with a 18 hole mini golf course, also a swimming pool with a slide

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank SummersBill
Kentucky
Reviewed June 29, 2009

I generally do not write negative reviews but I think it is important that people know what they are getting into when they check into a place. And I suspect that one of the reviews here might be a fake, which makes me very angry.
This motel is part of the Best Value Inns chain and it convinced me that I will never stay at another unless I am desperate.
To be fair, I know that Custer is probably in high demand in the summer and we booked at the last minute (the same morning of our stay). We were planning to camp in Custer State Park, but the forecast was calling for rain so we decided not to trust our tent and made reservations at the Dakota Cowboy Best Value Inn. It was well over $100.00 for one night. When I made my reservation, I knew I could not get a refund, but I went ahead with it.
There was no rain after all, so I called to see if the hotel would be willing to accept a cancellation (I figured they might, if they could book the room). It was extremely difficult to communicate with the woman who answered the phone and I was not ever certain she had my reservation. She referred me to the 800 number, where I was told they could not confirm anything and told us to call the hotel back. Finally we just decided to go ahead and stay there.
Staying here was like staying in the basement of someone's impoverished grandmother. The ceiling was dingy acoustic tiling, the furniture and bedspreads were cheap, half of the lights didn't work. The wi-fi did not work, even though our room was right next to the office and the front desk seemed uninterested in addressing the problem. There were no amenities in the bathroom except one bar of soap. Breakfast was mini-muffins and coffee. The worst thing was the overwhelming smell of some kind of terrible air freshener in the room. Most of these things might be tolerable in a very inexpensive motel, but to pay this kind of price for them was unreasonable.
The only good things I can say about this place is that the beds are reasonably comfortable and water pressure in the shower was very strong. So if all you need is a place to sleep and you don't mind the smell or the price, then you might be okay staying here.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Kelly M
Aurora, CO
Reviewed July 14, 2007

The room was bigger than expected and very, very clean. It is a great place if you plan on just sleeping there and spending the rest of the day somewhere else. It was very quiet - we didn't hear any truck traffic. It's an older hotel that reminds you of the motels of the fifties and unfortunately the pool shows it. If you want a place with a great pool this is not the place - it isn't very big and it's not in great condition. The continental breakfast is ok but your best bet is to go to the restaurant right next door for great french toast!

• Liked — Big, Clean room
  • Disliked — The advertised pool was barely a pool
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank auroramom4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Custer
Comfort Inn & Suites Custer
Super 8 Custer/Crazy Horse Area
Rocket Motel
Rocket Motel
#1 of 17 in Custer

Been to Dakota Cowboy Inn? Share your experiences!