“I cannot believe there aren't better options in Custer”
Review of Dakota Cowboy Inn

Dakota Cowboy Inn
Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Custer
Kentucky
“I cannot believe there aren't better options in Custer”
Reviewed June 29, 2009

I generally do not write negative reviews but I think it is important that people know what they are getting into when they check into a place. And I suspect that one of the reviews here might be a fake, which makes me very angry.
This motel is part of the Best Value Inns chain and it convinced me that I will never stay at another unless I am desperate.
To be fair, I know that Custer is probably in high demand in the summer and we booked at the last minute (the same morning of our stay). We were planning to camp in Custer State Park, but the forecast was calling for rain so we decided not to trust our tent and made reservations at the Dakota Cowboy Best Value Inn. It was well over $100.00 for one night. When I made my reservation, I knew I could not get a refund, but I went ahead with it.
There was no rain after all, so I called to see if the hotel would be willing to accept a cancellation (I figured they might, if they could book the room). It was extremely difficult to communicate with the woman who answered the phone and I was not ever certain she had my reservation. She referred me to the 800 number, where I was told they could not confirm anything and told us to call the hotel back. Finally we just decided to go ahead and stay there.
Staying here was like staying in the basement of someone's impoverished grandmother. The ceiling was dingy acoustic tiling, the furniture and bedspreads were cheap, half of the lights didn't work. The wi-fi did not work, even though our room was right next to the office and the front desk seemed uninterested in addressing the problem. There were no amenities in the bathroom except one bar of soap. Breakfast was mini-muffins and coffee. The worst thing was the overwhelming smell of some kind of terrible air freshener in the room. Most of these things might be tolerable in a very inexpensive motel, but to pay this kind of price for them was unreasonable.
The only good things I can say about this place is that the beds are reasonably comfortable and water pressure in the shower was very strong. So if all you need is a place to sleep and you don't mind the smell or the price, then you might be okay staying here.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Kelly M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Aurora, CO
Reviewed July 14, 2007

The room was bigger than expected and very, very clean. It is a great place if you plan on just sleeping there and spending the rest of the day somewhere else. It was very quiet - we didn't hear any truck traffic. It's an older hotel that reminds you of the motels of the fifties and unfortunately the pool shows it. If you want a place with a great pool this is not the place - it isn't very big and it's not in great condition. The continental breakfast is ok but your best bet is to go to the restaurant right next door for great french toast!

• Liked — Big, Clean room
  • Disliked — The advertised pool was barely a pool
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank auroramom4
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 27, 2007

I can't believe we stayed in the same place that the others reviews were about. The place was empty, yet they put us in the room right next to the major route out of town. We listened to trucks and loud cars all night. The room was cleaned with a chemical that was close to toxic in smell. The bed, fixtures and bathroom were circa 1960's (with no charm). The soap for the bathroom was a wall dispenser. The pool was not open. They were filling it with a garden hose when we arrived. There was one ice machine right next to the office (the farthest point from our room). And the continental breakfast was coffee and donuts.

Unless you are completely desperate and need a place to stay for one night, I would skip this place. If we didn't already have the reservation, we would have driven on by. This is not a destination point or town. Very few places to eat and I would bet this is the worst place in town. You would be better off staying in Hill City or Keystone.

• Disliked — the location
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank JudyMetroNYCarea

Travelers are raving about these Custer hotels

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 6, 2006

Since it was the week before the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, it took me a while to find anything reasonably priced. I asked if the Dakota had any family rooms, and was given a room with a separate "back" bedroom, for a total of 3 Q beds. The back room had it's own shower and toilet, and our regular room had a normal bathroom PLUS another huge vanity and sink. People at the desk were great, rooms were clean, location convenient, and price was right. Stay here with no fear!

• Liked — The large suite-type room we had
  • Disliked — Not much shade at the pool
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a "family" room
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank bverbos
Athens GA
Reviewed July 13, 2005

stayed 2 nights - good location for exploring the black hills. within an hour of jewel cave (highly recommended!), mount rushmore, custer state park, and bea country USA (a must if you have kids). comfy, clean and fairly spacious. fridge in room, tv, etc. within walking distance of downtown custer. would stay again.

• Stayed June 2005
4 Thank spellmanuga
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 10, 2004

We really didn't know what to expect to find such a reasonable price while the Sturgis Rally was going on but we were very plesantly surprised. Very friendly owners, and a nice clean property. Parked the bike right in front of the door (preferred). Just a few blocks from downtown Custer and only a few miles from Crazy Horse and some great riding. Next time we find ourselves in that area, we'll certainly do our best to reserve rooms here.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 6, 2004

If you're looking for a nice place to stay in the town of Custer, I enthusiastically recommend the Dakota Cowboy Inn. Located on Custer's main street, it is convenient to Custer State Park and all the other local areas of interest, and it's an especially nice alternative to bear in mind if you were hoping to make a reservation within Custer SP but no space was available. The rooms are fairly small, but are spotlessly clean -- and as nice as that is, the friendliness of the staff is even nicer. We stayed there in the summer of 2000, arriving late because an airline pilots strike caused delays and aggravations all day on all our flights from Maine to Rapid City, and I clearly recall feeling exhausted and ready to collapse on the lobby floor by the time we got to this hotel that night ... but the lovely woman who checked us in greeted us like old friends and made us feel so relaxed and comfortable ... it was really a breath of fresh air after such a long and difficult day and it reminded me that some people in the hospitality industry haven't forgotten what courtesy means to tired travelers who are a long way from home. There's a restaurant right next door with a gift shop, a form of miniatiure golf on the premises, and plenty of convenient parking. Would I stay there again? Absolutely!

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Custer
Comfort Inn & Suites Custer
Super 8 Custer/Crazy Horse Area
Rocket Motel
Rocket Motel
#1 of 17 in Custer

Been to Dakota Cowboy Inn? Share your experiences!