“Great location and decent meal”

State Game Lodge Dining Room
Ranked #10 of 48 Restaurants in Custer
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed a nice lunch here on a beautiful day. Because of that, the location and scenery were second to none. We were a large group and although the staff service was a bit overwhelmed at times, everything was very nice. The salad was good - nothing to write home about, but good. The lodge itself was the highlight and worth a quick stop.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I were kind of bummed with the quality of the meals we had while on vacation in SD - except for the 2 meals we ate at the lodge. We were staying at the Creekside Lodge next door so it was super convenient and worth it to not have to drive into Custer. We ate dinner there our first night in the park. I got the smoked salmon pasta & my husband a steak. He said he steak was good but he really liked my pasta. The salads and bread that came with our meal were also good and we got a piece of key lime pie too. Be prepared that it is an upscale atmosphere for dinner and higher prices - we felt a little underdressed in jeans & t-shirts as we had just gotten to the park after 3hr drive from our previous stop in Devils Tower (and got some looks from the locals eating there) but the hostesses assured us we were ok when we asked. I think our 2 meals, pie, & tip came out to about $65. Our server was very good to us and attentive (Alfredo) but it did seem like some of the other tables waited a while for service - having their orders taken, waiting on food, waiting on refills, etc. One table near us with a large table had their food brought out for everyone minus 2 people and it seemed like everyone was almost done eating before the last 2 meals were brought out. We were there the first week of June so I imagine they are still getting into the swing of things for the start of tourist season.

We went back the next day for lunch because we saw they had a salad & soup buffet lunch. I was expecting soup, salad items, & maybe pasta salads, fruit, etc but it had a whole hot bar too with fried chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, rice, pork roast, etc + pies for dessert. I believe it was around $13 per person and well worth it. We had it for a late lunch and were still too full for dinner that night and didn't eat again that day.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

We had one breakfast & one dinner because we stayed at Creekside next door. Breakfast was full of butter and rather poor, Waitress wasn't exactly pleasant. Dinner was slightly better, especially since there aren't many choices in the park. Try Sylvan Lake LOdge for dinner.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Since you are here, the dining room offered a good convenient place to eat both the buffet dinnere and breakfast, thoughthey also feature table service with a full menu. We enjoyed the buffet and the table service having used one each night. The staff is attentive and friendly and quick with the service. The breakfast buffet was a notch above the usual hotel hot are with a few more varied choices.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

This place is a little pricey. It's a buffet, but this isn't your normal buffet food. Very high quality and some of it was wild game.

1  Thank Gysegem

Been to State Game Lodge Dining Room? Share your experiences!