“Hidden Gem: Amazing Performances”

Black Hills Playhouse
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Generations of playgoers have been delighted by this gem of a theater located near Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse in Custer State Park. This professional theatre, affiliated with the University of South Dakota, but managed by the Black Hills Playhouse, Inc has played since 1946 and is one of the oldest, continuously running summer stock programs in the country. Four to five incredible productions play throughout the summer Tuesday through Sunday. Descriptions and ratings of shows available at website. Beautiful picnic grounds, pre-order picnics, and concessions available. Park pass required on car for entry.
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I spent the summer of 2012 working in the Black Hills, and during that time I saw three of the four shows that they performed that season (Run for Your Wife, and two musicals: Godspell and The Drowsy Chaperone). The theatre is adorable, but I was overwhelmed and surprised to find such high quality talent nestled in Custer State Park. The comedy was spot on and the musicals were spectacular. Congratulations to the cast, crew, and direction! A highlight of my summer.

All reviews
"pageant"
"ccc"
"picnic"

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Everyone sees Mt. Rushmore and of course, you won't want to miss it. But what better way to spend a couple hours during your Black Hills visit than to take in a play at the Playhouse? The setting is wonderful and the performances are terrific. I've been to several and each one was great! You won't regret it.

Linda A, General Manager at Black Hills Playhouse, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear Jean:

Thanks so much for taking time to write about us on TripAdvisor! Love the title and love the sentiment. Your words mean so much more than ours to folks who are researching and we appreciate you!

Linda

Reviewed September 1, 2012

Plays are well produced in cozy rustic theater set in Custer State Park. Park admission is $15 for 1 to 7 day pass

Reviewed August 20, 2012

My family of four, including two teenage boys, attended "The Four Musketeers" performance while visiting the Black Hills in August. The play was excellent and well worth the very economical price. Sword fights, lots of action, great scenery, props and costumes. High quality and highly recommended if you get a chance to attend.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We saw Godspell at the Playhouse on a Thursday night as the prices are less expensive, $28 per adult, $10 for children until 18, and $1 handling fee. $67.00 for 3 of us. On the weekend the price is $35 for an adult (ouch!) A little steep for the caliber of the show. In Los Angeles, tickets would have been $20 for a local playhouse. But, I have rated this attraction very good as the setting is worth the extra money. While I didn't care for the play itself, as I am a tradition Christian, and the show was too non-traditional for me, I appreciated the fine singing and the effort put into the scenery. I felt there was a lack of chemistry--or something just missing as I didn't get a warm and fuzzy feeling, like I had been told would occur during the cruxification of Christ. The owner of the B & B where we subsequently stayed had the same criticism, but saw the next Play in the series and said it was much better than Godspell.

We enjoyed fresh cookies in the little cafe outside the playhouse during intermission, 3 for $2. Yum!

1  Thank luv2trvlRedondoBeach