“Very Good, but........”
Review of Days Inn Custer

Days Inn Custer
Ranked #18 of 18 Hotels in Custer
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I found this property on Tripadvisor and because of it's location and was a pet friendly hotel, decided to give it a try. I will say our room was very clean, including the bathroom, but it was pretty stark. By this I mean, nothing in the room about the city, the area, or even the motel, location of ice machine, etc. etc. I booked this room 10 days in advance and alerted them to us bringing two dogs. We were placed on the upper floor, making it a bit inconvienent for taking the dogs out for potty breaks. On the night we stayed (Wednesday) the property did not seem fully booked, so I'm wondering why we were not assigned a 1st floor room. In fairness, I did not request this, but in other properties I stayed in with our dogs, we stayed on a lower floor. As stated earlier, the room was clean, the bathroom amenities were plentiful, water pressure good, and beds were comfy. On the negetive, the inroom alarm clock did not work and in the morning, the lone ice machine was on the fritz. All in all I rated this property very good, because of the cleanliness. Management was friendly also. Breakfast was so so.

Room Tip: If you're traveling with pets, request a ground floor.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
daysinncuster, Webmaster at Days Inn Custer, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Days Inn Custer for your recent stay in our area. I am glad that you like the location.

• I am glad that you find our Hotel, Room and Bathroom clean. Housekeeping Staff received our commendation in keeping the room and hotel clean.

I hope that the next time you visit our area; you will once again choose to stay at Days Inn Custer. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed May 24, 2012

Yes - it's true! A good, comfortable stay in a 100% smoke-free hotel all at a fair price.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Stayed here during a trip through the high plains. Friendly staff, basic motel. Bed and bathroom adequete. Breakfast a bit spartan. Great base for Black Hills sights. Main street 2 blocks south . 2 supermarkets on mains st.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 11, 2012

First mistake, purchase your reservation through Priceline! CJ mildly appeared agitated - he mentioned the reservation and price lock a couple times. The reservation was for Sun, Mon, Tues
Our family decided to drive on to Custer, instead of stopping in Guernsey. CJ said he had a few rooms. I stopped in at the front desk at 9:30 Saturday evening and rang the bell. He came out of a side door in pajamas, appearing agitated. I signed the register and he made a carbon paper image of my credit card and explained he would take care of the room rate later. In the morning, I asked him the rate and he quoted $25 premium. Being the first of many days stay, I didn't complain. The motel is empty except for our party!
We talked throughout the stay, about the local economy, about our families, and the tourist destinations nearby. He glared at my sons when they were in the motel hallway - to breakfast; the exercise room. They commented how creepy he made them feel.
Sunday evening, we were locked out. Back at the desk, wait for him to appear, and he offered that the two reservations couldn't be combined in his door lock system, or something or other, and activated our room cards.
Monday evening, after long drives we were locked out yet again. Back to the desk, and he said he made a mistake.
Now, the property is dated. No pool. No DVD. Old bedding. Clean sheets. Old looking bath.
Tuesday morning, we are taking it easy before another acventure. CJ is gluing tiles for a window in the foyer. He's not talkative this morning. I wish him good day.
You guessed it! Tuesday evening we are locked out yet again. The outside door is locked. It is cold in S Dakota in late March. Monday evening, after long drives, we were locked out yet again. Now, it's just annoying, but we are civil. We leave the property, shaking our heads and recalling it's a tourist supported town where nearly everything is closed for the season that starts Memorial Day. A week later, there’s another charge! It’s $15 and we did not remove towels or leave a mess. In fact, we collect the trash and take it out, pile the linens and towels in the bath floor and pick up after ourselves.
I have yet to post a negative review. But beware!

Room Tip: Main level north entrance is somewhat level but there is no convenient parking for handicapped
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank tgimacb

Dear Guest,

• Management/registration was approached about looking into your reservation.

• Management/registration received additional training concerning the courteous, helpful manner in which our valued guests are to be treated.

Reviewed March 28, 2012

I picked this place quickly on line the day we needed to stay in Custer, SD. Tripadvisor was showing all the other hotels as not having any rooms available. So I thought - well it's a Days Inn and they are usually decent. We we pulled up out front, my husband was not thrilled. When we pulled around back (through an ally) we saw the "hot tub" which looked like a hole in the ground with a board across it. Our room looked like it had been recently painted, which was nice. The bathroom was clean. But my biggest issue was a bug we found smashed (freshly smashed) in one of our beds. I don't know what kind of bug, but it left a red blood spot the size of a dime! This sent my ick factor way over the edge. I had a hard time sleeping all night and could not wait to leave!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Gail W

Dear Guest,

• Maintenance was informed of your report of bugs in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to their elimination.

• I am glad that you find the room and bathroom clean. Housekeeping Staff received our commendation in keeping the room and bathroom clean.

Reviewed October 5, 2011

Pretty plain, but the staff was friendly, the room was clean and comfortable, and the price was right. The motel is about a block off the main street, Mt. Rushmore Road, and is convenient to restaurants and shops.
A group of us stayed here for the 2011 Mickelson Trek, and the management had no problems with our storing our bicycles in our rooms. In fact, the staff really bent over backwards to make us feel welcome.

Room Tip: I had a room on the main floor (same floor as check-in desk). It was fine. Based on other reviews, I...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 8, 2011

hotel was nice enough, but they gave us a room in the basement and it had a bad odor! Everything else was fine and it was a decent price. Just don't let them give you a first floor(basement) room!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LauraS1966

Dear Guest,

• Maintenance was informed of the unpleasant smell you reported in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to its elimination.

• I am glad that you find the room and price decent.

• Management/registration received additional training concerning the allotment of the rooms to our valued guests.