“FANTASTIC Manager and staff”
Review of Days Inn Custer

Days Inn Custer
Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Custer
Reviewed June 15, 2011

To whom it make concern, I would like to commend you on the kindest manager/owner of the Custer SD Days Inn. My husband was unexpectedly hospitalized while we celebrated our 40th anniversary and I had to quickly move from one location to this one to be closer to my husband. C.J. was so concerned and offered me rides to the hospital if need be (I don't drive), I was to contact him day or night if I needed anyghing, etc. This attitude in customer service put my husband and me at ease (I also work in customer service field.). Even thought I did not take him up on his offers it was comforting to know someone cared.

Please know of this wonderful Days Inn manager.

Claudia

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Days Inn Custer

Reviewed May 8, 2011

After reading past reviews I was very wary of staying at this hotel, but we were impressed.
The room was spacious and clean (there was a few small pieces of paper on the floor which I put down to the cleaners not vacuuming after every guest, something they should start doing). The furniture could use updating, the bathroom looked relatively new, and if it wasn't, then it was certainly cleaned well to look that way.
But the most impressive thing to us was the staff. The same person checked us in and out and was very polite. When we checked out, he asked us where we were heading, gave us a map and highly recommended going a different route to what we had planned, and even suggested an alternative route over 100miles away. If it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have gone through the Custer State Park (Cannot recommend it highly enough).
Would definitely stay here again, and it's also relatively cheap.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Victoriakm
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Stayed for only one night in the height of tourist season. Booked through priceline - one of the few hotels that would accept a bid. Room was semi-clean but had the odor of stale bodies. Beds were ok - night staff was friendly and helpful but day manager seemed to arrive with an attitude and treated guests with indifference. Window screens in our room had holes in them so we could not enjoy the cooler evening air. Lamps and refrigerator were unplugged when we arrived. Would NOT recomend this motel and will not stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rpyatt
daysinncuster, Webmaster at Days Inn Custer, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Days Inn Custer for your recent stay in our area. I am glad that you like the location.

• Maintenance was informed of the unpleasant smell you reported in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to its elimination.

• Night Staff received our commendation in the courteous, helpful manner in which they treated you our valued guests.

• Maintenance was informed of the problem you experienced with the Window screens and unplug lamps and refrigerator in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to its repair or replacement.

I hope that the next time you visit our area; you will once again choose to stay at Days Inn Custer. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed July 17, 2010

was this the best hotel in custer? No, not even close. But when traveling in peak season when all rooms in Custer were booked, we had no choice. When first arriving the hotel did look a little run down, the hotel was basic and the rooms were outdated. The entire place was clean and managed well. We had excellent service from the front desk staff. They were very nice and professional. He even showed me the best route/way to view the area attractions. The breakfast was ok, had a few choices of food like waffles, toast, biscuits and gravy, muffins, danishs and cereal.

the beds were not the most comfortable...

so I would say the hotel staff made it worth staying and I would recommend based on that.

1  Thank phelps216
Reviewed July 16, 2010

I booked this hotel using priceline "name your price" they excepted my bid of $75 and with taxes it came to $91. When I did this the website stated that I could call the hotel for bed requests. I understood that they book for a single room and two adults. I was traveling with two small children, one of which was in a traveling bassinet provided by me. I called the Days Inn to confirm my stay and I asked for 2 doubles they told me that they can upgrade for $30. I was only passing through and didnt want to pay the extra money for just 1 night so I declined. Within minutes I called back because I wanted to mention that I had 2 children that I was unable to add when I made the bid and I wanted to make sure it would not be a problem. As I started to tell the women on the phone about my children she hung up on me. I tried calling back but I got no answer, I was going to try again later but got side tracked by all the packing I needed to do.
When I pulled up to the hotel I was a little taken back by the look of it. I arrived July 12th and there was christmas lights hanging and falling off the roof, it was very runned down I couldn't tell which door was the front door. When I walked in there was no one at the desk, there was a sign saying to push 0 on the phone for service. I checked in and went to my room. The room was very old, it looked like it hadn't been updated since the 70's. It smelled horrible, it was very small, but it looked somewhat clean. I just could not get over the smell, it smelled like an old closed up basement. I chose not to use their sheets, blankets, towells, shower, all I needed was to sleep and leave. In the morning I did take my kids down to the breakfast that they offer, just so we could get something in out tummy's before heading out. I was ver un- impressed, they had a juice maker, toast and a toater, they had a pitcher full of batter and a waffle maker, cereal, a crock poy with gravy and muffins, and some donuts. My kids had some cereal and toast. When we were finished I went right upstairs to check out. There was again no one at the desk so I pushed 0, an indian male came out and he was on his cell phone. I told him I needed to check out and he glanced at my kids and asked the room number. When I told him 117 he said "it can't be, you mean 217" and I said no it was 117. He asked about my kids and said did they sleep in the room, I told him that I just needed to check out. He was persistant on asking about my children. I told them that they slept in the room and how I booked the room. He was not listening, he just told me to leave. I told him that I needed something showing I checked out so that I won't get any extra charges when I get home. He just kept saying "LEAVE" I then asked him what he wanted, he said I need to pay for the children because it costs the hotel for extra showers, ect. I told him that we didn't even use his sheets. He then tells me that he seen us come up from the breakfast. I asked him if I could see his standard rates and what they charge for children, he said he didn't have it. He was a little aggressive and I just gave in and payed the extra $15. When I got home I noticed by some reviews that this kinda thing is typical of this hotel. I was very upset and felt taken advantage of. I will NEVER use a days inn and I will recommend against this Days Inn in Custer SD. It was a horrible experience!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Michelle02_04

Dear Guest,

• Front desk staff received additional training in the courteous, helpful manner in which they are to treat our valued guests.

Reviewed July 12, 2010

We arrived at the hotel late evening with 3 young children in tow, not yet having eaten dinner. There was a problem with our priceline reservation showing 2 adults and 0 children. The internet computer in the lobby was slow. My husband and kids waited in the car over 40 minutes the computer was so slow. When priceline could not solve the problem (our issue with them) the receptionist told me a few times how many people have problems like this and how this hotel is owned by the same that own priceline (Wyndham) and how are actually paying an additional fee to the same company. Why then, would it be so hard to communicate between them!? When told we needed to pay for an extra bed (we had been assigned only 1 queen) I states my kids could sleep in their sleeping bags and the baby in the pack-n-play. I was told that wasn't allowed and we either needed to pay or forfeit the (already paid for) room with no money back.
I'm glad we paid the outrageously expensive fee for the additional bed however,because the floors were apparently last shampooed in the 1980s and maybe not vaccumed in the corners for the last several weeks. The walls were yellow and dingy, as well as paperthin as we could hear someone snoring in another room. Multiple lightbulbs were burned out and the sheets were stained (one dark one right where our head/face would be). By this time it was so late our kids had fallen asleep before having a chance to eat, we just stayed here anyway.
Breakfast was just ok. There was lukewarm milk and 1 type of cereal as well as decent apples. The rolls/biscuits were hard but there were waffles. I understand these are only seasonally offered though.
We would have paid quite a bit more just to stay in a cleaner, newer hotel just down the road. The prices are more here as their is not much competition such as in a bigger city, but this was NOT worth it! We will never stay in a Days Inn again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank danicat1

Dear Guest,

• Maintenance was informed of the slow internet; Stained sheets in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to its repair or replacement.

Reviewed June 13, 2010

I got this hotel thru priceline. I called the morning we would be coming to make sure we could get a room with 2 beds. The manager quickly told me no problem, there would be an extra charge of $30 per night. (Yes, I was robbed.) They always have this problem with priceline customers. (I've never had this happen with a hotel booked thru priceline.)

Upon arrival, I signed a statement saying that I understood that they charge $15 per undeclared guest, so I guess they enjoy charging customers extra fees, not just priceline customers.

The room was clean. The bed was ok, not great. The pillows were mushy. Parking was free. The free breakfast was ok, but no yogurt. The sink was in the bathroom with the toilet and shower, which is a disadvantage for us. All the rooms have a terrible view.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

• Maintenance was informed of the Mushy Pillows and sink in the bathroom in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to its repair or replacement.