“Gorgeous, Peaceful yet close to Everything”
other travelers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
barn view
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Michelle...
Lafayette, Colorado
“Gorgeous, Peaceful yet close to Everything”
Reviewed June 28, 2017 for a stay in June 2017
person found this review helpful

HEAVEN. Cabin Lovers, you don't need to search any further for the most amazing cabin experience. There is no "LOBBY" so please call the owners to arrange reservations and entry if you find yourself nearby or if you are planning your trip. The 5 acre property is Stunningly Beautiful, Peaceful and Secluded while being just minutes away from the Crazy Horse Memorial, Mt Rushmore, the Town of Custer and no more than an hour from all of the Black Hills Monuments and attractions. The cabins are CLEAN and sturdy, built in 1933 and the fascinating story of who built them with pictures and history adorn the walls of both cabins. There are two cabins; the larger one "Skyview" has 5 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms and sleeps 13 (or more if sofa bed or cribs are used), the smaller one "Pinecrest" has 3 bedrooms and 1 bath, sleeping 7 (not including sofa bed or cribs). Either one can be a wonderful romantic getaway for 2 or a great spot for the whole family or groups. Both have FULLY stocked kitchens (Skyview has complete service for 20)! In each cabin you will find gorgeous hand-hewn large wood beam log construction, a wood-burning fireplace, comfortable beds & furniture, working antique radios, benches and tables made by the builder of the cabins, clothes Washer/Dryer, extra blankets and pillows, lots of towels, authentic western art and decor and FREE WIFI. Outside, both cabins have their own quality gas grills and wood-burning fire pits. The owners provide stacks and stacks of aged, split firewood and only ask for a donation if you use some. There is an expansive lawn of the softest prairie grass my bare feet ever felt. The land is geographically very interesting with a cluster of Ponderosa Pines atop a sudden, jutting section of slate and massive boulders. The sound of the wind through the pines, the Aspen tree grove and the waving prairie grass completes the perfect picture of total happiness that this property afforded my mother and I on our vacation in June 2017 while my boys were at the Medicine Mountain Boy Scout Camp nearby. We plan to return at every opportunity and are looking forward to celebrating my Mom's 80th birthday there in 3 years with the entire family. The owners, Teresa and Vic are very kind, wonderful people and I could tell by the details and decorating and care that these cabins are LOVED. Do NOT let an opportunity to stay here pass you by! I am nearly 50 and have been a cabin/cottage person all of my life when I travel and I've traveled many states extensively including my home state of Colorado and I have never found anywhere that will ever hold a candle to Camp Custer Log Cabins!!!

Jun 29, 2017
Wow, Michelle! I think you truly love our historic Camp Custer Log Cabins as much as we do! Thank you so much for all the beautiful and truthful sentiments. Of course you are welcome back anytime! And thank you for how you perfectly took care of the cabin while you were there. Very much appreciated!
Terry W
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Just beautiful!”
Reviewed June 28, 2017 for a stay in June 2017

This is just about the nicest vacation rental we've ever stayed in. Everything you could want or need is provided. Teresa is a lovely person and a great host. We went there for a family reunion, and we had a wonderful time seeing the sights and then coming back to this lovely place for family activities and dinner. Our grandchildren were fascinated with all the wildlife; my personal favorite was sitting on the front porch with a cup of coffee watching the sunrise. Wonderful!

Your age range 65+
Jul 2, 2017
Thank you Terry, We always appreciate having great guest like you! Coffee at sunrise on the deck is also one of the things I love. I spend a lot of time at the cabins in the winter during slow season. Your family is always welcome back!
Dead-sled...
“True "get away"”
Reviewed June 22, 2017 for a stay in June 2017

I just can't stop bragging on this place! We( husband, 4 adult kids, 2 of their spouses, and I ) stayed in Sky view the first week in June.
I wanted a place away from town but still close (enough) to see the sights- needed peace and quiet afterwards as most of us have stressful jobs with long hours. Sky view was THE BEST CHOICE!!! Private without being remote, CLEAN, well equipped for ALL our needs. Did I mention CLEAN ? I honestly had low expectations being an older cabin and all. A bed for everyone and running water. A kitchen to cook in ( couldn't afford meals out for 8 everyday) that was all I was after. I was amazed at how much room we had to spread out, how well equipped the kitchen was and how SPARKLING Teresa keeps it all! Even the bathrooms were glowing! No TV- Best thing ever! Both sons and son -in- law ( huge TV watchers/gamers) admitted by day 2 " We thought this was gonna suck with no TV- but it's really cool. " as they challenged Dad to more Frisbee in the HUGE yard.
Teresa is THE HOSTESS !!! Husband and I travel a bit and I have never dealt with anyone as easy to deal with as she!!
Okay- I'll shut up now-you just need to come see for yourself. Stop looking-if your dates are available on the calendar book it now-you won't regret it!!!

Jun 24, 2017
Kim and Dave, thank you so much for your nice compliments. So happy you and your family enjoyed our historic Camp Custer Log Cabins! ( Sky View). You are always welcome to come back anytime of the year! And thank you for leaving the cabin in such clean condition. You are appreciated!
laciafox
Gillette, Wyoming
“Custer cabins”
Reviewed May 9, 2017 for a stay in April 2017

We had a girls high school reunion here it was so much fun and it's so beautiful there. The cabins were fantastic and the owners are wonderful. Diffintly going to book the next one there this next year.

Date of stay: April 2017
May 10, 2017
Thank you Lacia. Your group was great to have stay at our Camp Custer Log Cabins. We look forward to having you back anytime!
Jem12160
“Great Place to Stay”
Reviewed August 11, 2015 for a stay in August 2015

We stayed at this cabin for the 75th Anniversary of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally with 5 other couples. We loved the cabin, the property was beautiful. Woke up every morning seeing deer, rabbits. The place is maintained very well. We did have an issue with a light switch in one of the bathrooms, but Theresa and her husband got right on it and was fixed right away.

The only criticism we had was the gravel road. Very dusty for the bikes, but we adjusted. Only other thing is that the shower in the one bathroom didn't have a lot of pressure, but other than that, we were all very pleased.

Date of stay: August 2015
Liked best: Location
Liked least: water pressure
Traveling group: Friends
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Lady-Cari...
Moorhead, Minnesota
“The best place I have ever stayed. Beautiful & well cared for!”
Reviewed December 5, 2012 for a stay in June 2012
person found this review helpful

We started out needing room for our family (2 adults & 4 teenagers) for a week with expectation that extended family may come visit for a day or two thru out the week. I found Shy View. It seemed perfect. Contact Teresa and she was absolutely wonderful. For our vacation we arrived a little later then we expected. Teresa and her husband were very accomodating. Check in was great. Since it was night time we really didn't see the beauty of the area until the next morning. Just a note as you are coming out to the main road you get a wonderful view of Crazy Horse Monument. The cabin was absolutely wonderful. We didn't end up having extended family visit. But that is OK I am so glad I found this place. Being able to come "home" each day after a little sight seeing to such a beautiful place was priceless. Often on vacation, having to cram into hotel rooms can add to some of the stress of a vacation. This was a home away from home. I think this cabin contributed to us having a virtually stress free vacation. I was a little worried that our 4 teenagers would not like it because there is no TV. But I don't even think they noticed. There is Wi-Fi available. So the kids had laptops to use, but I can't say they even did that much. The only real trouble we had was our cell phones did not have service. We had 3 different cell phone carriers there. So I am pretty sure it is for most cell phones. She does have a land line in the cabin. I would recommend picking up a cheap long distance phone card and keeping it by the phone in case a call is needed to be made or if members of your family or party will be away from the cabin at different times. This way there is a way to contact someone. It was so beautiful to wake up each morning and enjoy some quiet time sitting on the deck. We even had deer in the yard one morning. We were able to start a camp fire a couple of nights and roast marshmallows. I will definately stay here again if I am in the area and the cabin is available.

Date of stay: June 2012
Liked best: The peacefulness
Liked least: no cell phone service
Traveling group: Teenagers
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Dec 4, 2012
Thank you Carissa, Your definitely welcome back anytime! Cell phones are aproblem at our location. Verizon is the only carrier that works at the cabins.
drbroundt...
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Excellent Location, Wonderful Log Cabin & Attentive Service”
Reviewed July 28, 2011 for a stay in July 2011

We looked far and wide to locate a vacation rental around Custer, SD for a week for our extended family of 2 couples, two single women, a 2 year old and someone in a wheelchair. Being in Hill country that's a tuff bill to fill but Sky View Cabin owned by Teresa Pedersen fit the bill perfectly! Everything went smooth as glass from the communication during and after the booking/deposit process, to getting directions and meeting us to leading us to the cabin, to the tour of the cabin when we arrived. Teresa owns 2 cabins on this property (Sky View and Pine Crest) called Camp Custer Log Cabins www.custerlogcabins.com/skyview.htm about 1 hour south of Rapid City and 2 miles north of Custer on Highway 385/16 then a few miles west on 284 to Elliott Rd. Both cabins were built by the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corp) in the late 1930's/early 1940's as officer quarters and yes both are REAL log cabins! Sky View is the larger cabin that has had an addition built so it now has 5 official bedrooms with one additional adjoining bedroom (no door) on the 2nd floor and two semi private breezeways w/ futons that convert to beds - so Sky View can sleep 17. One bedroom has 3 twin beds, the others have full or queen size beds. There are 2 full baths, a large kitchen w/ every utensil/bowl, etc. you'll ever need, 2 microwaves, with an extra freezer and a pantry in the breezeway. The spacious combo living/dining room has a large picture window, very large deck w/ 2 picnic tables, charcoal grill & swing. Toys and recreational items such as bad mitten, volley ball nets, etc. are provided as well. Teresa even found a small rocking horse for our 2 year old to ride and he loved every minute riding it! The smaller Pine Crest cabin is the original log cabin with no additions and has 3 bedrooms/1 bath and a nice area out front w/ a picnic table and grill. Our Sky View Cabin had everything you can think of and need - filtered water, washer/dryer, sheets & towels and cleaning supplies should you need them. We brought trash bags, paper towels, coffee, tea, some spices but they weren't really needed, there were leftovers from previous renters but I wouldn't count on them being there. Both cabins overlook a VERY large lawn and rolling hillside and only 1 house can be seen in the distance. Cows frequently walk up/down the gravel road and munch on the grass on the public lands across the road from the cabin. All very relaxing and quiet. The location couldn't be more centrally located to visit all the Black Hill attractions, just a 10 minute drive north of Custer and when driving from the cabin to the main road (385/16) you can't miss Crazy Horse. How great is that! FYI... a few tips.
*Teresa prefers cash for the final payment upon arriving.
*AT&T does not provide service in this area but Verizon does. If you go to Custer, Hill City, Mt. Rushmore/Keystone, you can get AT&T service. There is a land line to reach Teresa.
*No TV (thank goodness!)
*No WIFI (thank goodness)
* No cleaning fee required

Date of stay: July 2011
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: location,customer Service, uniqueness of property, solitude
Liked least: no AT&T cell phone service
Traveling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Jul 27, 2011
Just wanted to say thank you for the great review! Hope you will be able to come back someday. We enjoyed having you as our guest!

And THANK YOU for keeping the cabin in such good clean condition during your stay ! (We actually do have wireless internet at the Sky View cabin)
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing