“False and misleading advertising”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Custer
American Presidents Cabins and Camp
Ranked #23 of 24 Specialty Lodging in Custer
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Were there for a family reunion in July. The small cabins were very expensive and in disrepair--we were all disappointed as it is a nice property in a beautiful location. The cabins were beyond remodeling--they need to be torn down and replaced. Trash wasn't picked up and no one was working in the store or office a lot of the time. They don't answer their phone--you get a recording and they don't return you call. It took us 3 keys before they finally gave us one that would work. The shower curtain only covered part of the shower so had to mop the dirty floor after each shower. Their website makes them sound great. I reserved a cabin that said had a refrigerator which we needed for potluck meals. When we got there, the info they gave us said it was a kitchenette cabin, but the only thing resembling a kitchen was a small microwave--no refrigerator. When I finally got to talk to someone about it after threatening to report them to the Better Business Bureau for false advertising, the maintenance man said they had remodeled in 2008 and it is no longer a kitchenette cabin--but they didn't change their advertising. If they had remodeled, I can't imagine what it was like before. Some of our family stayed at the Super 8 and it was very nice (and the room had a refrigerator) and much cheaper.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for American Presidents Cabins and Camp

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Mold , bugs , filth , water so rusty we were not sure it was water, sheets had make-up all over them , green spa water, brown pool water, smelly towels that you had to go get yourself, NO ONE SHOULD STAY HERE ! !!! This property should have a minus rating , but I had to give it a one so the review would go through.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank 1957nancy
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We went to Custer SD in July and had happened to reserve a cabin at this place for 3 days. We went the first night and looked at the cabin. Not exactly luxury. The cabin smelled strongly of mold and mildew. We stayed the first night. but I wasn't able to sleep. The next morning I woke up with a sore throat and a headache. I have no idea what I inhaled that night! When we went to take a shower we noticed that there was an already used by a prior guest soap in the shower. The shower curtain had long brown streaks all over it. There was not enough hot water for both of us to shower. the water came out brown out of the tap. I didn't even dare brushing my teeth!. At 5 am I am wide awake and couldn't go back to sleep. we decided to call the super 8 and make reservations for the next two nights. we went and cancelled early with management for the next 2 nights since we would not be there. Well guess what.... they refused to give our money back!!!!!!! We had to go to our bank to cancel the transaction! HORRIBLE place! Very unsanitary!

Room Tip: Don't go there. There are no good rooms!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Denis C
Reviewed August 10, 2012

This used to be such a great family place years ago. I had been ther twice before on previous vacations and a great time. Too bad I didn't read the current reviews. The water was brown, the shower was clogged so that the water was up 2inches over your feet, yuck! We didn't have any bugs, thank goodness. But this place could use a serious overhaul to get it back to where it once was because it has a lot to offer

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Custer01
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Words cannot describe--from the "dirt floor"--oh, was that suppose to be a modern floor? To crummy service, bugs everywhere, windows that won't open, air quality that still has my family coughing 4 days after returning home. The tiny, tiny cabin was $144 a night. DO NOT GO HERE!!!!!!!! So much more to say. Still traumatized!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jennifer B
Reviewed July 31, 2012

What a dump! Need I say more. Filthy, broken down, old, smelly, bugs, garbage, and the food in the store was all outdated but was sold to the public. Health Department should close them down.The rooms are disgusting, the laundry room had 4 machines, two were broken down and two was so rusted I wouldn't put MY clothes in there.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Regina G
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We arrived at the property and were given a room that had at least an inch of water on the floor of the bathroom. We asked for another unit. We went into the next unit and pulled back the covers on the bed only to see a dead moth and more bugs than we could count. Although both of the previous rooms we were given were filthy at best, we are reasonable people. We asked for another room. One that was clean and dry and bug free. The third room was dry, but dirty, and after pulling back the covers on the bed we noticed more bugs. These conditions weren't acceptable.. When I reported the conditions to the front desk, the lady tried to show us yet another room. We told her 3 was enough and we just wanted to leave. At which point she talked to the owner who came out (with an alcoholic beverage in hand) and an awful attitude -immediately calling me a liar, telling me that there were no bugs in the beds. I asked him to take a look for himself. He left and came back, grabbed his drink and returned to his back room saying nothing more to us. The lady at the front desk told us that he'd instructed her to not refund any portion of our two nights stay that we'd paid for. So when he came back out of the back room and walked past me on his way out the door, I diplomatically asked him why he felt it necessary to do so. He said that we were just trying to scam him to get out of the room reservations. He again called me a liar and said we could leave, but he was keeping all of our money. At no point did he even try to be accommodating to us. I was appalled - in all our travels we've never encountered such a lack of hospitality especially at a so-called "resort". I asked the owner if he calls all of his guests liars and gives them the same lack of respect and treatment, to which he said "Yes" as he, in his tipsy state ,begins to get on a moped (posing a physical threat to all). It's hard to believe that the owner of this type of business could get away with such brash treatment of its clientele. Then again, it does explain why they had 4 open unsatisfactory rooms that they tried to put us up in, when the rest of the hotels/motels in Custer that we contacted for alternate lodging were completely booked. We have contacted the local Chamber of Commerce and the SD BBB - the Chamber has already responded, has received numerous complaints in the past, and will be removing them from their approved list of vendors in the very near future. Do not waste your money on this "resort" - the accomodations are unacceptable, and it will be a fight to get any of your money back (I am currently working with my credit card company to try to do so).

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple