“Dark Experience! Better Options Exist...”
Review of Dark Horse Steak & Brew - CLOSED

Dark Horse Steak & Brew
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: We had lunch there today and for an unbelievable $7.95 I had the best beef fillet of my life!! Cooked medium rare - to perfection. My husband had the rib eye - that was perfect and flavorful
Denver, Colorado
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dark Experience! Better Options Exist...”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Cattleman's and Dark Horse are right next door to each other and have the same menu. We ate at Cattleman's the first night, and then the Dark Horse two nights later. (We thought we'd try the Dark Horse because of their terrific beer selection.) We ordered the exact same dishes (a filet, the buffalo roast, chicken strips, and shrimp), but what a surprise! At Cattleman's, the filet and the buffalo roast were both cooked perfectly, as were the two kids' meals. However, at the Dark Horse, not only did it take them twice as long to prepare our food, but both the filet and buffalo were so overdone that they resembled charcoal, the shrimp was pure breading, and the chicken strips (how can you mess up chicken strips?) were burned as well. The family sitting at the table next to us apparently had the same problem and sent all of their food back. The beer selection was fabulous, which it needed to be in order to gag down the food.

Also, the bathrooms were filthy, and in the men's room only one (of three) facets worked.

or some significantly better options, try: Alpine Inn in Hill City, Cattleman's, Ruby House in Keystone, or the Blue Bell Lodge.

• Visited September 2012

Atlanta, Georgia
“Very tender steaks”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We visited on a quick stop in South Dakota on a recent trip out west. We both got steaks and they were flavorful and SO easy to cut (no knife needed). The chocolate cake was very good but almost put me into chocolate overload. Service was excellent and attentive without breathing down your neck.

• Visited August 2012
Seattle, Washington
“Don't go HERE!”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My wife and our good friends were staying in Custer while on a mini vacation and decided to go to the Dark Horse on Saturday night, September 1st. As we were walking down the steps we asked a couple that was leaving how it was, they said the beer selection was good but left it at that. That should have been a sign to turn around. We sat down at 7PM and before we even had our menus to see what type of beer, pop, etc we were approached by our mid age Asian server, we hadn't even sat down yet. I told him to come back in a couple of minutes to get our drink order. He arrived back in 5 minutes, we ordered tea, two pops, and a beer. My friend had to ask twice before he got a cold glass for his beer.
We ordered our food and sat and waited for our food, in the mean time other tables had been seated and served and left before we received our food. I went up to the bar to ask for the manager but was never acknowledged, then I cornered our server and asked him where our food was, it had been over 40 minutes since he took our food order. Then he came over and asked my wife if she wanted a salad with her fillet. He didn't ask my friends as they also ordered fillets, this is after we had ordered over 40 minutes ago.
Our food arrived, my one friend, she ordered the fillet with baked potato with butter only and she got a dried up fillet with french fries and butter and chives??? My wife ordered the fillet and hers was dry with a cold potato. I ordered brisket but I don't know what I received. I also ordered a cup of chili for $6.95 and it was small, cold and had a grease film on it. My other friend also ordered the fillet with sour cream and butter and received french fries.
When the server came back he didn't approach my side of the table but gave my wife the bill and started cleaning up the table and dropped the steak knive pointed down on my wife's hand. I asked him if he was trying to kill her. LOL now.
I ended up having the $57.41 in cash, no tip, and gave to another server, nice lady, who had run hand and foot around our server.
The next night we went to the Cattlemens Steak House, much better. My BOWL of chili there was $6.95 also and triple the size.

• Visited September 2012
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Good food”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Ate here. Found staff service levels to be good, food was fine, and steaks were at a good price compared to others in the town. Good selection of beers too

Visited August 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great Bartender, Awesome Happy Hour Deals, Good Food”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We attended their happy hour ($2 for any, yes ANY, tap beer...and they have 24 very fun, unique beers too!) I think our bartender;s name was Carlyle (?) and he was awesome! But then we came back for dinner later with our parents and they have a $9 steak.. it was really good ...but very small. It was wrapped in bacon. Our waitress was from the Russian region and she was very sweet and smiley - but messed up on our bill (we wanted it split 2 ways - and she charged the same card twice). We got it figured out in the end -- but there seemed to be a little language issue. Overall it was a great experience. ATTN Dark Horse - You need better signage to get people to your restaurant as it is tucked behind the Cattleman's Steakhouse....

Visited August 2012