“I wish I was in a cabin . . .”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Custer
Beaver Lake Campground
Ranked #7 of 24 Specialty Lodging in Custer
Reviewed July 25, 2013

My family had to bring tents, flashlights, food . . . The usual. We ended up in a far back area with no other people near us. There were so many spiders ( not the small ones ) , there were so many giant webs! Next to the tree ( I almost walked into that! ) , under the table, EVERYWHERE!! When we left to go to the pool, there was an open area ( no animals, bugs, or spiders ) with only 2 people on it!! It can hold so many more! I was outraged. I did not knew I could be in a cabin, but I knew I could of had a better area.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Cupquakes
There are newer reviews for Beaver Lake Campground

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Our family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids, ages 8 and 10) recently stayed here for 2 nights in our RV and really loved it. We were in site 32 which, though back-in, had a nice piece of grass behind it so it felt spacious/private, plus it had a nice firepit and picnic table, was close to the office/store (tiny but had useful things) and laundry (clean, good). Our kids especially liked the pool (the biggest at any of the 15 places we stayed on this trip!) and loved the waterslide!! It's worth the fee ($5/kid after 4pm). They went down it dozens of times! The shared showers/bathrooms were clean. The playground was also among the nicest/best we saw on the trip. We also liked the location of this park - near the center of Custer City without feeling like it was in town. And it is close to Jewel Cave. we would highly recommend staying here!

Room Tip: we liked site 32 and it looks like 33-35 would have similar space/feel. 38-44 had less space. the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Maureen B
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Decided to try the cabin rather than tent camping, and I'm glad we did as a storm came through. Staff was friendly and the campground clean. Our cabin was clean, although the only drawback was the shower was very tiny. But...we had a shower in our cabin, so can't really complain.

There are cute bunnies everywhere and you can even feed them for $.25.

I would definitely recommend this campground.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed in a camping cabin for 4 nights with an 7 and 17 year old. The cabin had 2 bunk beds, TV with cable, small table and chairs, air conditioning and covered porch. We are usually camping in tents and this summer we decided to "upgrade." I am thankful we did....it ended up storming for a few hours each day!

The campground had free wi-fi and a pool with large slide. We were never able to use the slide because of the operating hours...not great...we also we out and about most of the days checking out the sights.

The showers and bathrooms were clean. The camp store offered free bag boards to rent/play.

We would stay again!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2013

First of all...I requested an e-mail reservation...she said ....we don't do that here..
.We'll mail it. Yes who does Snail Mail anymore! We had a site right up front by the office. #34. Please....anyone that is elderly or impaired should not be in this site. Behind the trailer is a drop--off of probably 45 degrees or more...when you get to the base of drop-off the picnic table in no way shape or form can be level.....and that is where the fire pit is. When you set on your own patio...your so close to the next person on the left...your practically sitting on their sewage hose....it's right on the property line between the two sites. We made do by setting an E-Z up on a sliver of grass....on our side of the site....A gentleman came over and requested we put our E-Z up down BEHIND the trailer in the drop-off....My husband explained his wife has vertigo and can't go up and down that hill....I also have congestive heart failure and can't handle that exercise! 3 days later the owner/manager stated we needed to move our E-Z up closer to the trailer because NOBODY wanted the site because we were crowding them out....closer to the trailer meant that the picnic table and E-Z up had to be on the front of the driveway on the dirt...next to our car! What REALLY made me angry is that my husband gave her no argument...yet she said " Got it!!!!Have you got it?" The other thing that made us angry is that there were many many sites available. And they did get a fifth wheeler in next to us. We moved our E-Z up on the dirt as close to the trailer as we could...but when the rain came...it flooded under our trailer and in front of the door....and yep you got it under our E-Z up...so we were in the MUD!!! Since this site is in the front close to the office they could easily divert the water into a grassy area on the other side of the site without impacting the campers to the left.
This woman also was rude to other guests and to staff while we were in the store. Not only am I writing this review on the website but I will notify Good Sam! There is poor to non existing WiFi....Cell service....even if they have a tower right on their building! My son and I were planning to come back again...until they made us move our E-Z up....We won't be back...besides we will tell our family and friends in the Dakota's to avoid this place. She was rude!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank ghmedo
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed for 8 nights, had a nice long pull through at the SW end of the park. There was a variety of camping spots there, from tent sites, camper cabins, back ins and pull throughs, so there was a mix of people. Everything from families with small children to older couples. The young lady that checked us in was more than helpful, and a member of the staff led us to our spot - nice touch. The spots were spaced well enough, and we did not use the shower house or bathrooms since we had full hookups. Now for the negatives. The wifi was not working, even though we had a signal. We were told at check in that they were working on it, but never had wifi during our visit. The cell reception was minimal, so we had to go up the hill or into town to get email or access the web, unless we were outside in the right spot. The staff was great other than one older lady in the office that clearly didn't want to be there or deal with any customers. When we decided to leave a day early, she couldn't wait to point out that there would be no refunds, even though I wasn't asking for one. I'm undecided as to whether we will go back when we visit the Black Hills again - there are a lot of great campgrounds that are only a few dollars more per night.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ChrisK153
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Overall we had a good experience. We stayed one night, the bathrooms were clean and we had no problems. We stayed on an off-peak day, so I can't comment on what it would be like with all the campsites full, but Cindy was very nice and check-in was easy plus they have bikes our kids could ride around the facility.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Custer
Comfort Inn & Suites Custer
Gold Camp Cabins
Gold Camp Cabins
#14 of 18 in Custer
Holiday Inn Express Custer
Horse Thief Campground and RV Resort
Bavarian Inn, Black Hills
Custer Crazy Horse Campground

Been to Beaver Lake Campground? Share your experiences!