“Love the Sleeping Cabins!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sylvan Lake Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Custer
Sylvan Lake Lodge
Ranked #11 of 23 Specialty Lodging in Custer
Cody, Wyoming
“Love the Sleeping Cabins!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2011

Pay the extra to get a sleeping cabin. They are more secluded and have fireplaces. Definitely worth upgrading to the honeymoon cabin if you can as it has the best views in the park. The staff was very helpful and the rooms are clean and roomy. This was our third trip to Sylvan lake and will come back and stay there again.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank jaime9310
SylvanLakeLodge, General Manager at Sylvan Lake Lodge, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Thank you for your review. Sylvan Lake Lodge is a great place to start your visit to Custer State Park, and the Black Hills. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your sleeping cabin, and look forward to you staying with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

Given the promo and location of this property, one would expect it to be wonderful, but we were very, very disappointed. The room was tiny, sort of clean, but for the price and the hype, hardly what we expected. Our room was on the second floor, over the hotel exhaust fans, so we couldn't open the windows at night to enjoy the wonderful Black Hills night air. The dining room was a joke - a cafeteria in pseudo-mountain lodge trappings. Not one person on the dining staff spoke English as a first language and the food was grossly over-priced for what it was. It could have been spectacular - buffalo, elk, salmon, etc. Redeeming feature was the bartender from Ohio who knew what folks wanted when they came to her bar - very friendly, very nice.
We were so anticipating a high class stay at this hotel. The location is to die for - too bad the hotel isn't.....

Room Tip: Ask about where the hotel exhaust fans are located
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. Sylvan Lake Lodge is a great place to start your visit to Custer State Park, and the Black Hills. I am sorry to hear that your stay did not match your expectations. Sylvan Lake Lodge employs a number of students from different countries and strives to train them with proffesionalism and service in mind. I do not feel that your experience is typical and with an overhauled dining room staff we will make sure it never becomes so. I hope you have the oppurtunity to stay with us again in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Custer hotels

Chillicothe, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2011

We stayed during a historic heat wave in July, 2011. We were very grateful for the air conditioned room. We stayed in a Double Queen, with balcony in the "new wing". Although we did not get lake-view as we had hoped; the balcony had shaded cover which was really appreciated and we would not have had if we had a top lake view room. The room that we had was large and very comfortable. Loved having 2 sinks, one in the water closet and the other at the vanity. The bed was very comfortable and pillows were just right in softness and firmness. My husband especially appreciated the strong wi-fi and TV service in the evening. We were very disappointed in the dining room though. We only had dinner there one night. The wait staff were stretched too thin to manage both the outside and inside serving areas. Because there was no AC in the dining room and it was so very hot, it impacted our appetite and appreciation for the food which we thought was a bit pricey. I would recommend this location if you have already done Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Mt, and the Needles Hwy. This is an excellent location for touring Custer State Park, the town of Custer, SD - where we found an excellent steak house for our next dinner (The Cattleman's Steak House). The front desk staff were very helpful in offering recommendations for dinner and day hikes. The cabins that are located below the lodge and Sylvan Lake had many families in residence; but there was no disruption to our peace and quiet. The only reason we cannot give this an "excellent" rating was because of our disappointing experience in the dining room.

Room Tip: 2nd floor with balcony in new wing
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. Sylvan Lake Lodge is a great place to start your visit to Custer State Park, and the Black Hills. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in one of our queen suites, and also dissapointed in your experience in the dining room. I hope that you have an oppurtunity to stay with us again, and enjoy Custer State Park, and Sylvan Lake Lodge.
Gillette, Wyoming
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

We reserved a room in the main lodge. It may be the smallest hotel room my husband and I have ever stayed in. I get it...a lodge room in a State Park is not an updated room in a chain hotel. However, the bathroom door would not close and the bathroom was crazy old. The mattress was super uncomfortable. For $189.00 I expected more.
We ate dinner in the dining room. They were very accomodating and we had a pleasant meal of walleye for me and NY strip for my DH.
Breakfast in the dining room was quite delicous. I had creme brule oatmeal that was fabulous. The service was less than fabulous...downright terrible at breakfast; had to run down the waiter for a refill on our coffee.
Do go down to Sylvan Lake and take the incredibly scenic and memorable hike around the lake.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
      Cleanliness
Thank you for your review. Sylvan Lake Lodge is a great place to start your visit in Custer State Park and the Black Hills. I hope you have the oppurtunity to stay with us again.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed here for one night on July 11 2011 and we liked it a lot.
We reserved a housekeeping cabin and were very happy we chose it over a lodge room. My girlfriend loved the cozy quaint little cabin (513).
Upon looking at the cabin location map it seems the sleeping cabins are on the top of the hill near the lodge and the housekeeping cabins are near the lake and store. So we were happy about that. As it looks to be a little bit of a hike to the lodge we didn’t go there except by car to check in. From what we saw of the interior, it looked pretty nice.
Our cabin was on a little hill with a partial view of the lake which was nice. It was also near (not next to, but near) the road and Park (Custer) entrance which gave me a little bit of an initial concern but never became an issue. Especially after dark. Not much traffic at all. Plus there were some pine trees to kind of act as a buffer.. Another plus for this cabin was there was no neighboring cabin on that side and was also where the cabin's fire pit and picnic table was. So we had our privacy. There were also a few miniature squirrels and birds that hung around our area pretty much the whole time. So that was nice.
We had first just planned to have a nice fire and make s’mores, but then thought “What the heck. Let’s roast hot dogs too”. That was our dinner and we liked it.. So we walked down to the store (takes about two minutes to walk) and picked up our supplies (hot dogs, buns, etc) and charcoal. They even had metal roasting “sticks”! And firewood.. And beer.. This was my girlfriend’s first experience staying in a cabin in the mountains, roasting hot dogs on a campfire and she loved it. She also cooked the hot dogs and marshmallows perfectly. The cabin had a microwave (and stove) so I heated up the buns there.
Anyway, we were happy with the cabin except in the morning we discovered the hot water wasn’t working. Normally something like that would make me very angry, but I took it in stride as I was enjoying the “campout” experience and we were pretty happy with everything else.. And the cabin was nicer and cleaner than what I was expecting.
Sylvan Lake is the perfect place to start your Custer State Park adventure. In the morning, after stopping at the store and getting a couple of hot ham, egg and cheese sandwiches from the little grill in back, we began down the Needles highway. We also did the Wildlife Loop road, and a cave tour at Wind Cave National Park, then came back up Iron Mountain road to our destination for the day, Keystone. All in the same day!.. Oh, and we saw lots of animals to include Pronghorn, Prairie Dogs, Big Horn Sheep, donkeys and Bison. And also had a couple of deer jump right out in front of us while driving. That was cool.. And even got photos.
If you want to have an outdoor experience without getting dirty, I highly suggest getting a cabin at Sylvan Lake Lodge.
My girlfriend doesn’t want to wash her sweater because we can still smell the campfire on it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 34227Traveler
Thank you for your review. Sylvan Lake Lodge is a great place to start your visit to Custer State Park, and the Black Hills. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you have the oppurtunity to stay with us again.
Boulder, CO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

The gorgeous setting deserves more than this. The lodge is attractive on the inside and in the lobby, but the rooms are tired. Food was mediocre in the restaurant - an issue since there's so little around. But you are in the middle of a state park near a gorgeous lake, so that's a major plus.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank cosoxfan
Thank you for your review. Sylvan Lake Lodge is a great place to start your visit to Custer State Park, and the Black Hills. Our lodge was built in 1937 and was modeled after the european lodges of the era. Sylvan's lodge rooms are equipped with all modern ammenities including Hair Dryer, Iron & Ironing Board, and heating and air conditioning.
New Prague, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

My family stopped for lunch during our day of site seeing. The service was very slow, the food porportion size was small, and the cost for a simple lunch was over 60.00 for two kids and my wife and I. For that price, I could have gone to Red Lobster and my family would have loved the food and would have eaten their meals.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. Sylvan Lake Lodge is a great place to start your visit to Custer State Park, and the Black Hills. I am dissapointed to hear that your experience for lunch did not meet your expectations, and will work toward making sure your experience is not typical.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Custer
Holiday Inn Express Custer
BEST WESTERN Golden Spike Inn & Suites
K Bar S Lodge
K Bar S Lodge
#1 of 14 in Keystone

Been to Sylvan Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!