“Family tradition”
Review of Legion Lake Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Custer
Legion Lake Resort
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Custer
Reviewed August 31, 2008

My family has been going to Legion Lake for well over 40 years. This was my 22nd stay there, if I've calculated correctly.

Legion Lake Resort consists of 25 (or so) cabins and a lodge building with a small store and restaurant. The lake itself is small and offers fishing, swimming and limited (non-motorized) boating. They have "housekeeping" cabins with small kitchens and "sleeping" cabins with no kitchens. All of the cabins were built in the 1920's or 1930's but have been kept up to date. Central air conditioning was added to each cabin in the last year. They all have Dish TV and the housekeeping cabins got microwave ovens this year.

The two "modern" things the cabins are missing are telephones and Internet access. Cell phones work fine at the cabins and if you need Internet access, you can access WiFi down by the lodge.

My "Above average" rating is for this year. Some years are better than others and the only thing that prevented me from giving Legion Lake an "excellent" rating this year was their inability to handle some very specific reservation requests. I split a 2-week reservation with other family members (they took the first week and we took the second week). Having someone come in in the middle of a 2-week reservation and ask for keys seemed to be a problem and wasn't handled real well. It all worked out, and I don't imagine most people face this.

Other than that, all was excellent. We ate in the restaurant twice (food and service both above average) and really enjoyed our stay. Once a day, the housekeeping crew comes by and they'll do whatever is needed at the cabin (new towels, take out the trash, whatever). You can shoo them away if you just want to be left alone.

We cooked breakfast each morning (sausage and eggs). Be careful - the smoke alarms are pretty sensitive.

Legion Lake is a great place all in all -- always has been. It's central to the Southern Black Hills; about halfway between Custer and Iron Mountain Road. Great hiking right outside your cabin door.

I'll add some pictures when I get a chance.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
There are newer reviews for Legion Lake Resort

Reviewed August 10, 2008

We originally tried to stay at the Sylvan Lake Lodge but the Black Hills had just received 12+ inches of snow and they were drying out many of the rooms so they recommended the Legion Lake (both part of the Custer State Park.)

And we were pleasantly surprised at Legion Lake Resort. The cabin was very nice and included kitchen facilities. The lake was beautiful and we hiked around the lake every morning and listened to the birds and watched the deer frolic near the lake. There is a resort (where you check in) that offers some essentials and also offers dinners and breakfast.

The cabins didn't offer WiFi (I know, we should be roughing it but I am too used to my internet access now!) And they did not have utensils and plates in the kitchen (another thing we should have been prepared for, oh well, we are city folk.) The cabin was very clean and nice and we would definitely stay here again (and remember to bring dishes and such with us!)

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2008

Date of Stay: July 3-7, 2008. We really were impressed with the beauty of the Black Hills and wish we could have stayed longer. We had two cabins for our family of 6, we did not have Kitchenettes in the cabin but enjoyed the fire pits and great restaurants. We also had flat screen TVS but the hot water was sometimes a problem for four showers.

We had cabins 21 & 22, which were at the end of the road so we surrounded by trees and wildlife. The staff was friendly and helpful and I would heartily recommend this resort. We also visited Blue Bell and Sylvan Lake which were different but also nice.

Unlike Sylvan lake which can get fairly crowded on the weekends, Legion Lake was less crowded and very pretty. I think the location of the resort is the best of all the Custer Resorts. We had a very nice time visiting Mount Rushmore, Wind Cave, Jewel Cave, Mammoth Site, Custer, and Crazy Horse. We saw a large amount of wildlife and really enjoyed the State run programs that can keep you busy for at least a week.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Mugspaw
Reviewed August 4, 2007

We just returned from a stay at Legion Lake Resort in Custer, SD and it was perfect. I was leary since I couldn't find many reviews online about the cabins. Thank goodness it was more than what I expected. The cabin #2 was plenty big enough for me, my husband, and my two sons. It had two double beds and a twin bed. There was also a very clean bathroom, and small kitchen area. Everything was nice, neat, tidy and very homey. Laying in your bed you could look out big windows and see the lake. The resort supples you with a flat screen tv with sattelite hook up, wireless internet access and the all important fan. There is also a picnic table, small deck, fire pit and your own parking pad.
The cabin is located only about 10 miles from down town Custer so we were able to get groceries there for cookouts and such. The beach is just a short walk down the hill and you are at the swimming area or go a different path and you are on the hiking/biking trial. My sons rented mountain bikes and took the trails where they came across many deer. We also enjoyed the paddle boats at sundown one evening. All in all I would highly recommend this beautiful area for vacation. It is relaxing and a wonderful place to reconnect with family.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank daychic
Reviewed July 30, 2007

We stayed at the Legion Lake Resort for 3 nights in a 2 room housekeeping cabin. Here is a rundown of our experience:

Cabin: Our cabin had a kitchen area and a double bed (sleeping area) in the main big room. It also had a separate bedroom with a double bed + a single bed. Great for a family of 5! The furnishings were homey, but also updated. The bathroom was spotlessly clean. On the downside, we did not have any AC...which I guess is usually not an issue in SD, however the week we were there it was 105! Luckily, it cooled down at night, and one of the employees at checkout mentioned there was talk of window AC units in the future.

Location/Surroundings: The cabins are located in Custer State Park, so the scenery is gorgeous. We were in cabin #1, and just walked out our door and down a hill to Legion Lake. There is a beach/swimming area, which came in handy in the heat, my children swam every day when we got back from site-seeing.

One thing to keep in mind, however, is that if you are staying in Custer State Park it takes much longer to get to and from other locations. The winding roads required careful, slow driving to get in and out...so we always had to allow more time to get to Mt. Rushmore and other sites. On the plus side, we usually saw wildlife on our many adventures.

I would definately recommend Legion Lake Lodge to anyone going to the Black Hills. (We also had occasion to visit the other 3 resorts in Custer State Park and they seemed great as well!)

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank kelly1119
Reviewed August 9, 2006

Legion lake has been our choice for a 3 nights stay at Custer Park with 2 teenagers : proximity of the Lake, for swimmiing after the hikes, central location/differents trailheads we choose, Blackhill playhouse not too far.

Our cabin, L5 was perfect : 2 bedrooms, a great living/dining room with a whole kitcheen. All was clean, with aperfect housekeeping everyday(a lot of towels, soaps, shampoo,...). Bathroom was large and well equiped. Heat could have been a problem, but if you let windows open, it was enough...and it's not a problem because it's so quiet here... Price is another quality : 150$/night for such a cabin, you cannot imagine less.
The cafetaria is excellent for simple but good diners and breakfast.
Trouts are excellent, and bread too...

Erik Monpetit.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
6  Thank Monpetit
Reviewed July 30, 2006

We spent 6 days in and around the Custer State park area and stayed at Legion Lake Resort. for all our lodging We couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. We had a two bedroom cabin(L3) that was clean, closest location to the beach. The staff was extremely friendly helping with any questions we had.

Stayed: July 2006
6  Thank Jelsen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Custer
Comfort Inn & Suites Custer
Bavarian Inn, Black Hills
K Bar S Lodge
K Bar S Lodge
#1 of 13 in Keystone

Been to Legion Lake Resort? Share your experiences!