“Nice place”
Review of State Game Lodge

State Game Lodge
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Custer
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Buffalo burgers are super. The service was excellent. The jeep ride to the herd is worth the price. The jeep driver was a treat, very informative. We did not stay at the lodge so I can't rate the rooms. Great place.

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

IFirst off, we stayed in the motel section of this property. There are MANY different setups. The room was clean and was perfect for our overnight to allow for 2 days to explore the park. The room was small, but the ability to be right in the park was worth it!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank abigailsarah523
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed two nights in July, 2013 in a cabin at the State Game Lodge, in Custer State Park, SD. The staff was amazing from the check-in to check-out I have never been treated so kind by an ENTIRE Staff and also the Manager. It was clear that they all had the attitude that this was our vacation and they wanted it to be the BEST! My husband and I had a few details that needed to be attended to and the Manager was spot on and took care of our requests without skipping a beat. Actually to be fair, he went above and beyond which is how the whole Staff treated our entire family for our mere two night stay. The cabin was rustic, which is what we wanted, but also had all the amenities that a regular hotel room would offer. We roasted hotdogs and made smores by night and had coffee at our picnic table by morning. The first morning was a special treat as we were greeted by the bison herd. I am sure that only at the State Game Lodge will I ever have my morning coffee with a herd of bison! My children will never forget staying here nor will my husband and I. It is clear that the Staff and Manager would do the same for you if you chose this Lodge as their work ethic and attitude is amazing!

Room Tip: We loved the cabin. You'll get a fire pit, picnic table and serenity!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I had my wedding at State Game Lodge over the weekend and wanted to commend John, our banquet captain, for such a fantastic job. He was attentive and friendly-- doing everything he could to make everything run smoothly. All of our guests had such a great stay (mostly in the motel style lodging, but some were in cabins). My family rented the Creekside Cabin across Highway 16 and loved the recent updates (wood paneling, new décor/bedding). It was the perfect amount of cabin space and yard space for entertaining. My husband and I stayed a few nights in one of the sleeper cabins and were pleased with that as well! Thank you all for being so kind and hospitable!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Creekside Lodge (est. 2008) because we liked the newer room & amenities while being able to still experience the historical lodge for drinks and dinner. We were only able to stay at this location the one night (spent two previous nights in Rapid City) but definitely plan to return here for a longer stay in Custer State Park and the Black Hills area. Room was spacious, comfortable, clean just as I was told when we contacted the State Park hotel reservation desk for a recommendation based on our preferences (Thanks Shirley!).

Room Tip: Talk to agent as room experience may vary based on the historical lodge versus Creekside, etc.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We only stayed here for one night on our road trip and it is slightly expensive but different from your normal chain hotels/motels. Has some history in that it was once a summer home for President Coolidge and President Eisenhower also visited.

Our room was in the lodge, room 41 - it was unusual in that it was T shaped, we walked in the room down a short narrow corridor and then the room opened up with 2 single beds up against the windows with the bottom end of the beds touching - not very romantic if you want to share a bed but very quaint. Clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tracy166
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The hotel is in Custer State Park and the entire area is full of nature's beauty. The hotel is older and has lots of character. We stayed in the Coolidge Room and it was large and spacious. However, there is no AC in the adjacent sunroom .. So if you plan on using that, it does get very warm.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jjm_Texas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Custer
Mount Rushmore Lodge at Palmer Gulch
Comfort Inn & Suites Custer
Holiday Inn Express Custer
Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites
Bavarian Inn, Black Hills
K Bar S Lodge
K Bar S Lodge
#1 of 13 in Keystone

Been to State Game Lodge? Share your experiences!