Sylvan Rocks Climbing School and Guide Service
Open today: 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Review Highlights
Amazing adventure!

We had such an amazing time! Brandon was our guide and he was incredibly knowledgeable, helpful... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago
Sthompson57301
Mitchell, South Dakota
Fabulous Time

We had a great time climbing with Jeff at Sylvan Rocks Climbing School. The company is really well... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Ambassador596095

All reviews awesome experience rock climbing experience always felt safe black hills trip highlight of our trip great fun custer state park encouraging skills teaching beginners needles rocks
Selected filters
Reviewed July 9, 2018

Chris Spellmeyer and Shankar found the perfect balance of challenging and encouraging us. The instruction was excellent. The trip was very well organized and the selection of climbs just right for our group. We really appreciated the team's sense of humor and comfortable guidance. The gear was top notch and we wasted no time in transit- we were climbing from start to finish.

Date of experience: July 2018
Stisser, Secretary to the Stars at Sylvan Rocks Climbing School and Guide Service, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2018

Always good to hear that Chris can Shankar can even impress teens and tweens. Glad you had a good time on the rocks. Hopefully you will all become addicted and we will see you out there climbing on your own.

Reviewed July 2, 2018

Myself (40 years old), teenage son, and teenage nephew did the 6 Hour Rock Climbing Course. We had no prior rock climbing experience. Let me say this, it was absolutely the best part of our trip! We met Darryl at the Sylvan Rocks Climbing Trailer. He was very nice, easy to talk to. After a few minutes of talking and getting our waivers taken care of, Darryl introduced us to our guide, Chris. Chris was very nice and very professional. After introductions, Chris got us fitted for our harness, shoes, and helmet. He gave us an overview of what we could expect for the day. After a short hike to the climbing site, Chris gave us a thorough introduction to climbing (securing the ropes, using the shoes for friction, rappelling, etc.). Before each climb, Chris explained the climb/ route and asked if we thought we were up to it. The climbs were tough and strenuous, exactly what we wanted. We wanted a challenge and we got it. Chris was there the entire time to give us help and coach us along. He answered any questions we had. At no time did we feel unsafe or in danger, even though we were 200 feet in the air on top of Old People's Dome. Awesome climb and view! During our vacation, we went whitewater rafting, ziplining, hiking, caverns, and a lot more. The rock climbing was hands down the most fun. As a 40 year old, it was very rewarding when I made it to the top of the climb and also being able to keep up with 2 teenagers. If you are looking for adventure, excitement, and a challenge, you have to go rock climbing, and Sylvan Rocks Climbing is PERFECT! I could go on all day about our trip. We will definitely be back to climb again. One piece of advice to save time, print your waivers online and have them filled out when you arrive. Thanks to Chris, Darryl, and the rest of the crew at Sylvan Rocks Climbing, we will be seeing you all again!

1  Thank wheelj06
Stisser, Head Climbing Rope Washer at Sylvan Rocks Climbing School and Guide Service, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2018

"hands down the most fun" after all the rad things you did is pretty huge kudos. We'll be here when you are ready to continue your climbing adventures. Thanks for being open to doing rad things that are outside of most people average vacation activities. Rock climbing is defiantly an experience that you are part of making happen...not just a ride.

Reviewed June 25, 2018

My son and I did an introductory climbing day a couple of years ago with Sylvan Rocks. That day made my son fall in love with climbing. Last week, we returned for a three-day climbing session, and it was even better than the first.

Our guide Shankar gave us three amazing days that culminated in my son's ascent of Spires 2 and 3 of the Cathedral Spires in Custer State Park. He was patient, good-humored, and laser-focused on safety while dealing both with my beginner's mistakes, and with my son's need for technical training. While he pushed me to stretch my limits, there was never any point at which I felt it was inappropriate. And, we got to the top of the "Aquarium." On top of all that, Shankar's just a really cool guy.

I feel that we got more than our money's worth out of this experience, and we will be back to climb again with Sylvan Rocks.

Date of experience: June 2018
Stisser, Head Climbing Rope Washer at Sylvan Rocks Climbing School and Guide Service, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2018

Thanks for sharing such kind words. We will look forward to climbing with you again.

Reviewed June 11, 2018

Many thanks to Daryl and Carissa on making our first outdoor climb memorable. Both were knowledgeable, encouraging and patient...with me. My two kids and I did the Discover Rock Climbing package due to time constraints. All of us wished we had done the longer time. My son is already talking of returning next year to tackle Devils Tower. This was time well spent watching my teenager and 9-year old challenge themselves and have a great time doing it.

Date of experience: June 2018
Stisser, Head climbing rope washer at Sylvan Rocks Climbing School and Guide Service, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2018

There is time to return. We don't expect Devils Tower or any of the other rocks we get to share with guest to go anywhere anytime soon. We will try and stick around too, and be ready to climb with you again when the time is right.

Reviewed June 5, 2018

Sylvan Rocks gets 5 stars. The experience was awesome from booking to the actual climbing. I was traveling solo and contacted them to see if they would take a single participant. They normally don't do so for the Discover Climbing course but Daryl responded promptly that he'd make a note to contact me back if he could pair me up with someone. A week before my trip he called and had another solo participant he could pair me up with. On the day of the class it was just the two of us and our instructor Chris. He was a great teacher and so patient with us. The 3 climbs we did were quite challenging but we both made it to the top. At the end we chose to try rappelling down from the top. That was really fun too. Another experience checked off my bucket list!

Date of experience: May 2018

We don't always have the volume to make connections like this so I was psyched when it all worked out. Happy you got to climb in the Needles of Custer State Park.