“A Good Value and Quiet”

Super 8 Custer/Crazy Horse Area
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Custer
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I stayed at the Super 8 in Custer when we went on a family trip to visit Mount Rushmore and the surrounding attractions. The hotel met all of our basic needs, it was a quiet, family friendly, inexpensive place to sleep. When we interacted with the staff they were always friendly and helpful. It was also nice that the hotel offered a simple free breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Tanya E, General Manager at Super 8 Custer/Crazy Horse Area, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment on your stay. We hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

After 2000 miles from Florida, Super8 came to our rescue since we had a Boston terrier with us & other motels were full. Tanya & Karen took great care of us and even upgraded us after one night. The rooms were clean; breakfasts were adequate. We would stay here again solely for the great staff doing such a fine job with us out-of-owners!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. Customer Service is a top priority for the hotel. I am happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and that the staff treated you good. We are always happy to accept pets here. We hope you will stay with us again if you come back to Custer.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

While the rooms and the breakfast are about what you would expect from a Super 8, the service proved to be much better than anticipated. The desk staff all seemed genuinely interested in ensuring a good visit. A special shout out goes to Tayna who located the clothes I left behind and offered to mail them home to me.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank 284rickt

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. Customer Service is one of our top goals. I am glad that you had recieved your package, it is another one of those things that we do to make our guests happy and want to stay with us again. I am happy to hear that the staff made your stay a good experience. We hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed July 15, 2014

This hotel is an older property. Booking ahead of time online, the price is better ($108 after taxes for 2 queens in July), you can not cancel using this though. Breakfast was ok, small area for food and tables. pool was fine, chlorine smelled strong, I think just because it is a small room.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Tanya E, General Manager at Super 8 Custer/Crazy Horse Area, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Thank you for commenting on your stay at Custer Super 8. We appreciate your feedback.
We hope you stay with us again.

Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Super 8 yet again came to our rescue. Every time we need a pet friendly hotel that can help us out. Super 8 is wonderful !!!!
The staff at this hotel saved our family vacations after the terrible accommodations we had paid for in advance to coming to the black hills. If it wasn't for you and the great family suite our vacation would of be terrible. Kudos Super 8 Custer!!!!!

Stayed: June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. We are always happy to accept pets here. I am happy to hear that you had a good experience at the Super 8. Customer Service is a top priority of ours and I am glad that we met that goal for you. We hope you will stay with again.

Reviewed July 11, 2014

My wife and I didn't like this hotel. We stayed 9 nights here. I would have changed and went somewhere else but the other hotels I looked at didn't have the dates available. When checking in the first thing noticed was the lobby and hallway were dark due to poor lighting with limited windows. It was almost like walking into a dive bar. The check in process was OK. The young blond at the desk didn't seem to know what she was doing but the middle aged woman who came in was good. This is a 2 floor hotel without elevator and no luggage carts available.
The first thing we noticed about the room was the smell which was like mold or mildew. We ran the A/C most of the time trying to minimize the odor. The next thing we noticed was the carpet was vacuumed but not cleaned. This became obvious when walking barefoot in the room and the soles of our feet darkened. Thank God for flip-flops, no more barefoot in that room. The only may to make the room appear bright like in the hotel pictures is to turn every light in the room on as the bulbs are output or only have one bulb installed. The pillows on the bed are well used (flat) and the mattress could have been better but we both slept OK there. Our room (104) was next to one of the staff rooms so we could hear a rumble from the hotel laundry both day and night.
The toilet seat was loose on the toilet, I was able to hand tighten one side but the other would not tighten for some reason. Water running in adjoining rooms is loud! We could hear dripping when the room above showered and their shower plumbing must leak as the ceiling tile above our shower was wet from the leak.
Almost every day my wife would have to go to the desk and ask for cups as the cleaning staff rarely replaced the used ones.
There really isn't any sort of patio here to relax outdoors at the end of the day. There is a small concrete pad at the east end of the hotel with an old umbrella patio table (no umbrella) and half a dozen mismatched resin chairs. This area seems to be used most as a smoking area. My wife and I often grabbed two of the chairs and moved them over to the gravel area to relax as some other guests did too. It sure would be nice if they would fix this area up just a little to make it appealing to guests.
I would not recommend this hotel nor would I stay there again.

Room Tip: There is no elevator and no luggage carts available so if you travel heavy then the first floor woul...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at the Custer Super 8. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not satisfactory. We use your feedback to improve our services to our guests. I wish that your experience at the hotel was brought to my attention before checkout so I could have addressed the problems right away.

Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a suite and it was very clean. The beds were comfy. There was a fridge and microwave. The indoor pool was the perfect size to splash around. The breakfast selection was not that great but what they had was fresh and tasty. The hallways smelled really good.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Custer
Comfort Inn & Suites Custer
Dakota Cowboy Inn
#16 of 18 in Custer
Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites
Bavarian Inn, Black Hills

Been to Super 8 Custer/Crazy Horse Area? Share your experiences!