“Better Than Some 4 Star Hotels”

Holiday Inn Express Custer
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Custer
Tampa, FL
“Better Than Some 4 Star Hotels”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2011

I can't rave enough about this hotel. What a wonderful surpise. Definitely ask for a room on the back side of the hotel and if it is a cool (or cold) night sleep with the window open! There are no lights shinning into your room, no parking, so the first floor is even perfect. I loved this place and could of made it my home. The common area was beautifully decorated with high ceilings, large windows and and rustic cabin appearence. This area also served as the breakfast room and it was nice not siting on top of other guests. Plenty of room for everyone! The pool and whirlpool area were clean and inviting. The staff were helpful and pleasant. They were upbeat and happy and I contribute that to the management. Kudos to you! If your guests are happy it is easy for your staff to be happy. I believe this hotel was priced perfectly.

1 Thank vjv2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2011

My husband and I stayed here one night in late August (NOT during Sturgis.) The hotel is pretty new and in great shape. The front desk was friendly and efficient. Our room was clean and quiet. Free wifi too!

I loved the waterfall in the back, but I wish it was a little easier to get out there during breakfast time. The only door I found had a typical room-key lock. Carrying your breakfast goodies and fumbling with that lock was frustrating. Maybe the door can be open during breakfast hours?

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Girllamm
ANKENY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

Love the western decor. Very clean. Looks pretty new. Front desk person was very helpful. Breakfast offered lots of options. Like the waterfall in the back. Wish we had stayed here a few more nights. FYI, they close for the season--end of October, I think.

Castalia, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

Nice hotel and great breakfast, but we did have some issues with housekeeping. Housekeeping didn't come to our room at all the first day...beds were still unmade, no clean towels, etc. We had to request clean towels, a box of tissues and coffee from the front desk. They did come to our room the second day, but left a dirty towel on the floor and left our clean towels on top of a wet towel on the rack. In addition, breakfast on the last day was somewhat of a disappointment as the biscuits were dry and tough, as were several of the bagels. My son found a long hair in his gravy, as well. Overall a pleasant stay with a beautiful view of the hillside and a waterfall from our window, but for the price per night, the issues we had shouldn't have happened.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank ErrinW
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

We had a well equipped king bed room with fridge, microwave & bathtub. It also had a nice little balcony overlooking the Flintstones Theme Park(!). We didn't mind the mile walk into the centre of Custer, but there are nearer restaurants if you want - not to mention the justifiably popular Purple Pie Shop.

chicago,illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2011

I choose this hotel based on reviews here on Trip Advisor. I have to say that I was happy with my choice. The hotel is very clean, very comfortable, very busy. The room was a decent size 2 queen bed and we ordered a rollaway which fit in the room well. The room had a balcony which was a nice touch.

I had a bit of a bad taste early on with the front desk clerk. He seemed a bit agitated and didn't want to help me with the prefered guest program. My experience with the other employees was much better. Everyone seemed very nice and helpful.

Another issue I had was the $ 10 charge for the rollaway bed. I understand the charge but I'd have liked to know in advance when making my choice. I've stayed at hotels that there isn't an additional charge for the rollaway. An additional $10/night might make a difference in someones decion to stay. I just like full disclosure to limit surprises.

My last gripe was that the pancake machine wasn't working properly and caused a huge backup at breakfast. Like I said earlier this is a busy hotel in a great vacation area. The hotel was filled with families and everyone seems to get started around the same time in the morning. Not only should this machine have been fixed immediately it's probably not a bad idea to have another one or two machines available. The pancakes seemed to be the most popular item on the buffet line. We were there for 3 nights and the machine was the same every morning.

This could have been a very good or excellent experience if not for the problems.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank bmac75
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2011

This is a beautiful Holiday Inn Express, the decor fits so well with the area. It is very clean and the staff were all very friendly. It is very quiet and you don't hear the other guests. The back patio with the waterfall was very confortable place to sit outside and rest after a long day of sightseeing. Custer is a perfect area to base a trip to the Black Hills. I really enjoyed the pancake machine it was a great addition to their breakfast menu. The only problem that we observed was that the surrounding restaurants seemed to be quite pricey.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Custer
Comfort Inn & Suites Custer
BEST WESTERN Golden Spike Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Keystone
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hill City
Gold Camp Cabins
Gold Camp Cabins
#14 of 17 in Custer
Bavarian Inn, Black Hills

Been to Holiday Inn Express Custer? Share your experiences!