“"The Gift of Nature"”
Review of Hotel Dos Rios

Hotel Dos Rios
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Volcan
Reviewed March 25, 2012

My experience in Hotel Dos Rios was amazing! I had a great time with my wife and kids. It has a spectacular view of nature and trees. The garden is beautifully preserved and very clean as well. The staff people did an amazing job with my special needs daughter Stephanie, they were a big-hearted group of people full of joy. The rooms were really cozy and warm and i didn´t pay any attention to the TV because we spend most of the time in the garden and in the swings with my kids enjoying the fresh air and having the time of our lives. I really hope i could visit this wonderful place that brought us so many irreplaceable memories. To those who had a rough time i advice you to give it another try because its really worth it.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Richard J
There are newer reviews for Hotel Dos Rios

Reviewed March 21, 2012

I'm extremely surprised to read all of these negative comments about this wonderful hotel. Its surrounded by a peaceful mountainous scenery and welcoming river. My husband and I love to take our kids for the weekend and eat their pizza. It has a wide terrain (beautiful garden!) for our children to play and even swing sets! They love it! I hope more satisfied costumers will give this hotel the credit it deserves!

Room Tip: The Suites face the river and have a balcony of their own. There's the master suite "Tambo...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank SamIsie683
Reviewed March 21, 2012

I stayed there with 4 friends just last week over Spring Break. The rooms were very cozy, the personel of the hotel were very friendly and at night I could hear the river outside my window. The Hotel is surrounded by 2 rivers, one is near the rooms and the other smaller stream by the restaurant. Me and my other 4 friends throughly enjoyed our stay. It is true that the tvs are antique but when you are on vacation you are not in your room watching TV. The garden is well kept, there are butterflies around the flowers. I would recommend visiting the hotel! The food was good, especially the pizzas and pastas!

Room Tip: The suites are very affordable and have a very nice view of the property!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
10  Thank Allie S
Reviewed December 11, 2010

Well as described by others the grounds are beautiful and very scenic. Nevertheless the rooms are awful, cheaply furnished and virtually no TV, only an old one with rabbit ears. Hotel is completely overpriced and the noise from the floors above, the loud music from the bar and even roosters crowing starting at 1 am. Who says they only crow at dawn?
I fortunately brought ear plugs and I was able to drown out most of it and sleep. Unless they lower the price dramatically I'd advise sleeping in your car instead or going to another pricier still, but comfortable hotel. At the risk of appearing like a spoiled whiner I won't comment much on the food as others already have. I was a little spoiled as i had just left a beautiful, new 5 star hotel in David, with a full breakfast, for only $13 more.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank wayne439
Reviewed November 21, 2010

We stopped at Dos Rios on our way back from a road trip to Costa Rica. The price was reasonable, the grounds were attractive and the room seemed OK with rabbit ears TV. Internet was available but the password needed some sorting out. Had a simple Pizza dinner downstairs and returned to our room to get some sleep. The people who had checked in next door were very loud and their smoke as well as voices easily permeated the thin wooden walls. After trying to put up with it and no evidence that the people next door were going to turn in anytime soon we went to the desk. The attendant went up with us , heard the noise, smelled the smoke and rather than deal with it, she refunded our charge without apology. It was now near midnight but we made the trek to Bambito for a quiet, comfortable night's sleep.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2010

We stayed in this hotel for one night only because we were just visiting in Chiriqui. I would have to say it's a alright alternative. The garden is really nice and has a nice nature feel to it.

It is kind of pricey for all that has to offer. The rooms were not really isolated and the floors were from wood, so we could here every one walking of even talking. The TV's were very out dated in my opinion, We barley had cable.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank mary-aisa
Reviewed April 16, 2010

We had a 2nd floor room and found that we could clearly hear our neighbours' conversation.
The room was a bit dark, dark wood walls, ceiling and floor. The only window was out on to the communal balcony, therefore we were disinclined to keep the curtains open for long to maintain our privacy. Our windows had screens but some of our companions' rooms did not. There was also a healthy gap at the bottom of the door giving easy access to bugs.

As previous reviews mention, the two rivers and landscaped garden are beautiful and charming, attracting both birds and insects. One a good point, the other less so.

The restaurant was poor but the staff were very friendly. The buffet breakfast that came with the room rate was easily the worst we had in Panama. The two dinners we had were not much better. (I wish we had read the reviews first and had the energy to explore other restaurants in Volcan). The bar looked nice, but with its situation on a veranda, if you didn’t like the constant attention of bugs and moths you were soon driven inside.

As a place to stay it wasn't bad (accepting the above). The location is good and the environs pretty. Don't use the restaurant unless you are too tired to go out.

• Stayed: April 2010
1  Thank Treez
Also consider these accommodations in or near Volcan
Hotel Bambito Resort
The Haven and Spa
The Haven and Spa
#1 of 12 in Boquete
Casa Grande Bambito Highlands Resort

Been to Hotel Dos Rios? Share your experiences!