“Amazing Ecosystem!”

Ranked #1 of 4 Volcan B&B and Inns
Central America
“Amazing Ecosystem!”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Spent a couple of days here with a local (Volcan) hiking group. Saw a male Quetzal within an hour of arriving. More varieties of humming birds than I've seen anywhere (they've documented 15!).

The micro-hyrdoelectric plant gives them plentiful and reliable elecrtricity so you also have all the conveniences too ... including WiFi Internet.

Our group stayed in "The Cabin" and brought our own food. Great deal for a group. A very well built and comfortable cabin with kitchen and hot water.

Summited Mt Totumas (very strenuous hike, but non-technical ascent). The rarely visited summit is home to one of the most amazing and pristine ecosystems I have ever seen...a cloud forest at over 8,000 feet...think a tropical version of the Hoh Rainforest on steroids. Species of plants there include many minature orchids and, quite a surprise: several species of palm trees flourishing at this altitude in a cool damp climate.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Levin, New Zealand
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Our transport began from Boca Chica, we seemingly got to Volcan very quickly, and collected groceries for our 3 nights at the cabin. Then the road in hit us, it is one unique trip, as the road winds and bumps up and down for what seems like forever. But once you arrive at Mount Totumas you will find serenity and nature at its best. The cabin is lovely, it is clean and equipped with all that you will need.
We soon met Reinaldo and Jack (his dog) - this young man is just wonderful- he walked thru some of the forest with us, showing us the cascading waterfall and patiently waiting until we caught up with him and his youthful energy. After the weekend, when Reinaldo went to school, Jack spent the days with us. My husband was so excited about putting up lights and sheets to locate the various insect/moths that are found here. Reinaldo helped him and together they shared their individual finds the following mornings.
The cloud forest rolled in about midday & got heavier as the day rolled on, sometimes encasing the property in an airy heavy cloud. Rains came and went albeit not heavy. Overall it is cooler than in other areas we visited but the coolness was welcomed.
Our special thanks to Reinaldo's father. We spoke very little spanish, whilst he spoke very little English and with Jeffery away it was a bit difficult at times. But we managed!!! This was a very pleasant stay, thank goodness I found the property on Trip Advisor because we are so pleased we chose to stay here. It really is paradise for an entomologist.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed May 29, 2013

No other words to describe our experience at Mt. Totumas.
The lodge is surrounded by magnificent forest, and the flora and fauna are unique.
We spent hours walking the trails, observing the hummingbirds and even the amazing insects.
This place is highly recommended for birdwatchers, nature lovers, entomologist and anyone that would like to disconnect and get in tune with mother nature.
Alma & Jeffrey made us feel right at home.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Cacao_Travel
Venice, California, United States
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This was one of the best stay-experiences I have ever had. First of all, I am a student with little cash and I am working on my thesis project that explore ecotourism within Panama. Jeff and Alma were one of the very few people to keep in contact with me and help me out with my research in Panama, which by itself says loads about their character. When I arrived at Mount Totumas I was blown away by its beauty, comfort, and seclusion. During my stay I say 4 different types of primates, quetzales, hundreds of wild mushrooms, dozens of species of hummingbirds (some of which landed on me and fed on the "hummingbird hat", Ask about it!!) and much much more. Each day I had a new experience and was able to go on a new hike through pristine cloud-forest habitat. The property has more than a half dozen hiking trails that are clearly marked and that were created by local Panamanians with some paint and a machete.

On top of all these amazing experiences, Jeff's knowledge about ecotourism is unprecedented. He was so helpful that Mount Totumas is now a focal point and my main case study in my thesis! If Jeff and Alma happen to be around, definitely take advantage of their knowledge! Mount Totumas is self sustainable, creating its own energy from hydropower. There is nearly zero net waste and there is a lush garden from which you can pick your own vegetables.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed February 25, 2013

As part of a continuing entomological research project I am doing in Panama, I brought a group of entomologist's here in August 2012 for a 2-night stay. The insects, moths, and butterflies we saw were fantastic. Everyone in the group was able to get something they had not seen before, and most have been collecting in the Americas for many years. The variety of nighttime insect life is amazing, providing dozens of subjects for photographing. I plan to bring groups here in the future to continue researching the insect population at different times of the year.

The accommodations are excellent, and the location has beautiful views of the surrounding jungle and forest. I'm permanently adding Mt Totumas to my future itineraries. On my Aug 2012 trip I opted to have Jeffrey's wife, Alma, prepare breakfasts and dinners for the group, and the food was outstanding.... no, it was better than that!!

Anyone who wants to experience the jungles in the higher areas of Panama, yet have the comforts of home, needs to visit here. You will see and hear some great jungle wildlife. Bring a jacket/sweater/raincoat, as it gets chilly up here and can be wet much of the time. I've been coming to Panama for over 38 years, and this is one of the most beautiful places I've seen.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Albert214
Waco, Texas
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Mount Totumas is a wonderful place. Whether you are interested in the natural history elements or just want a quiet retreat from a hectic lifestyle, it is worth your effort to get there. The American owner/operator, Jeffrey Dietrich and his gracious wife, Alma, make very accommodating hosts that will do everything in their power to arrange just about anything for you, including horseback rides, guided hikes through the forest, or just hanging out on the back deck surrounded by several species of hummingbirds. I was there in May and the quetzals were calling and flying back and forth between several large trees that surround the premises, and I loved hearing the bell birds calling from their perches. I originally intended to stay for a couple of nights, but enjoyed it so much that I ended up there for 5 nights before moving on to explore other areas of Panama. You don't have to be adventurous or even have an interest in birds or animals to enjoy the peace and solitude of Mt. Totumas Cloud Forest Reserve. I intend to return with my granddaughters at some point, so they can see the quetzals too!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Greg L
Davis, California
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I truly loved this place! It was absolutely beautiful! Tucked away in the beautiful rainforest of Panama, this place is a gem! My son and I stayed in the large house and it was a great fit for us. The surroundings are absolutely breath-taking and perfect for hiking, horseback riding, or just hanging out. Jeff, Alma, and Karen (sorry for the misspell) and friends were also staying in the house and we could not have planned for a better time. We had a blast with these fun loving folks! Mount Totumas is the perfect place for people who love to be steeped in nature and yet have the amenities of home.

Room Tip: We stayed in the room off the hallway from the kitchen. Perfect place to hear the rain on the roof...